Tuesday 18 June 2019

Fund-raising


I am not sure if this happens a lot where you live, but this is something that happens a lot around here and to be honest it is getting a little out of control. I am talking, of course, about fund-raising.

Now, I am not against giving money to charity or for a good cause. Indeed I am known for my generosity and I often give at least one penny at the Sunday collection in church; even on those days when we Catholics excel at having a second and sometimes a third collection. That's three pennies in one day, I tell you.

No; what I am talking about is fund-raising when people approach you and say that they will do something or other if you would sponsor them for charity. Often it is relatives or friends and you are immediately put under an obligation to put your hand in your pocket and sponsor them. You can't make an excuse that you have given to charity once already this year. Sometimes the cause they are raising funds for is not one that you support anyway. Like raising money for the Home For Distressed Weasels; or Counselling Services for Failed Psychiatrists; or the Museum of Shoes Through the Centuries. The other day someone knocked at my door collecting for fallen women! I told him I haven't got any.

All these collections and fund-raising is wrong, very wrong, I tell you.

If someone wants to walk 50 or so miles  for charity why should I be punished by paying for it? If they want to take some exercise by walking aimlessly and hopefully lose some weight in the process, let them do so. Why should I pay for it?

Or pay for people to swim long distances, or abseil down a building, or parachute from a plane.

I have never seen the point of giving money to charity. You give money away and ... that's it. Nothing happens. You are financially worse off in this transaction.

It's ridiculous, I tell you. And just as ridiculous are the lengths people are prepared to go to to separate you from your hard earned pennies.

A friend of mine suggested the other day that if he were to grow a beard for a whole month I should sponsor him to back a particular charity. Well, I don't buy that. If he wants to be scruffy for a month that's his business.

Whatever next, I ask you? Will people volunteer to have a tattoo on their backside to be sponsored for charity? Mind you, if that person were a woman and she agreed to show me proof of the tattoo I might well be persuaded to contribute a penny or two.

Here in the UK we've had calendars printed by various people with women posing nude in aid of charities. The calendars are sold amongst family and friends to raise money for charity. There are similar male calendars too; but not as good, I tell you.

Now I don't know about you, but would you want a photo of Mrs Groggins down the road posing nude next to a tractor on a farm, or on a beach somewhere, or whatever. Would you hang such a photo on your wall at home or in the office? Or Mr Marmaduke sitting with his assets on full show on a horse, or milking a cow?

These people are not professional models. They are people from every walk of life willing to air their differences in front of a camera for a cause they deeply believe in. Laudable as it may be, I doubt that a display of skin which needs ironing will make me dig deep in my pockets.


More to the point, would you pose nude for charity? Imagine a charitable cause that is very close to your heart; someone or something that urgently requires funds; would you bare all to help them raise the money needed? What charity or special cause would that be?

Anyway, just to prove that I am not a miserly Ebenezer Scrooge let me tell you right now that I am doing something for charity. Perhaps you would be inclined to donate.

I shall be going on a first class holiday on a nice sunny beach for a fortnight or so where I will enjoy the local amenities and fine foods for a charity close to my heart - namely me. Will you sponsor me?

16 comments:

  1. I dislike the 8 yo's who shake their change jars outside the supermarket asking for money so they can go to a cheerleader contest in Florida.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand, Joeh. Everyone seems to be asking for money these days. Last week I received a letter from the taxman asking for a donation.

      God bless.

      Delete
  2. I hear you. The hand held out. We donate $ for Wounded Veterans or Red Cross. Other than that, it is a smile and a nod.

    Naked for calendar? That would send people running.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Once I gave a euro to some guy at the bus station. He said he needed money to get a bus ticket. Saw him a little later asking another person but he had a different story. That was the last time I gave money to anyone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a real problem with people begging in the streets. We don't know how genuine they are.

      God bless you, Bill.

      Delete
  4. Well, perhaps a Guiness. (*smile*)
    Seriously, this is great. In particular, you've nailed our new congregation where every months someone's hand is out for something or another. Ditto what Joeh said about the 8 year olds. I remember a time not that many years ago when I'd $11 to my name for a week's worth of groceries and the Girl Scouts gave me that puppy-dog look as I strode by. (Stop it!) Unless it's a beagle or basset hound whose skin needs ironing, nope. No nudies on these walls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's getting increasingly difficult to donate to charities. With organised charities one does not know how much is spent on salaries and advertising rather than help the cause in question.

      I'll have a Guinness, thank you. God bless you, Mevely.

      Delete
  5. I am remembering the movie, "Calendar Girls". OBVIOUSLY, you Brits will do anything for a good cause!
    Blessings, My Friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Lulu, that is just one example of Nude Calendars. Other groups and organisations do the same for various charities.

      God bless.

      Delete
  6. A fraternal organization my husband belongs to has a fund drive once a year to raise money for special needs people. Some years I help him by taking a shift. My approach is non aggressive and involves holding my canister and smiling at people as they walk by. I'm always amazed at the number of people who cannot look me in the eye as they walk by.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand, Kathy. Thank you for going out to raise money for a good cause. Sadly there are so many causes and people these days either cannot afford to donate or are wary of various charities.

      God bless you.

      Delete
    2. This volunteer activity helped me realize that it's OK to greet someone who is raising money and NOT donate.

      Delete
    3. Yes indeed, Kathy. A smile always helps.

      God bless.

      Delete
  7. There are so many organisations asking for help … we have our chosen ones who we donate money to, but there are also others who welcome those who can spare a little free time to help out. For example our local Church has a lunch club and offer food, friendship and fellowship … many who help out volunteer their time. Helping others does not always mean putting your hand in your pocket or purse.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed you are right, Jan. It isn't always money. Time is also a valuable gift we can donate to others.

      God bless you.

      Delete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.