Wednesday 20 November 2019

Celebrity and Talents

Someone once said something clever about being famous and a celebrity. I can't remember who it was ... perhaps it was me. Or maybe it was someone else ...

Anyway, as I was about to say before I interrupted my train of thoughts ...

Funny things trains ... they're always late I find. Why is that? I read the other day that the train people will rectify their lateness by replacing timetables with calendars. That way they'll be more accurate.

"The train on platform 3 will arrive in London tomorrow!" Now that's more accurate I think.

The other day they said on the loud speaker at the station that the train was late due to shortage of staff. Why can't they recruit taller people?

Now then ... where was I? Oh yes ... someone once said "I could have been very famous if I had a voice like Sinatra's!"

A lot of truth in that. If I could sing like Sinatra or some other great singer I could be famous too.

Personally, I sing well in the shower. But no one appreciates my singing. I am not appreciated in my own time it seems ... or ever. Some neighbours seem to appreciate my singing though. They have broken our windows to hear me better. They even invited the police to my impromptu shower concerts.

Anyway ... about celebrities ... if I could run fast as an Olympic athlete, or play football well, or if I were a great writer, or musician, or an actor, or whatever else passes as worthy of adulation these days, I too could be a famous celebrity recognised and welcome everywhere.

And that's the problem in this modern world of ours. Everyone wants to be famous and a celebrity instantly. Without any hard work, or patience ... instant fame is the name of the game.

Talking of instant ... I read the other day that the scientist who invented an instant laxative has been fired from his job. But I digress.

Whenever you turn on the TV you see youngsters, and not so young people, all hoping to win a talent show and become famous celebrities. Some can't sing, dance, or do anything else to save their lives ... but they all want to be famous.

Does anyone ever stop and think, I wonder, where all the talent comes from?

If someone can sing, dance, play a musical instrument, be great at athletics, play sports well, or be a great businessman, doctor, lawyer, or whatever else ... have they ever wondered where all this talent comes from?

Did they do the slightest thing all by themselves to achieve such greatness?

Didn't God give them all the talents and the ability to do whatever they are good at?

You may have a great voice perhaps. Or the ability to dance, or be good at sports, business, medicine or whatever.

Didn't God give you the brains to be able to study, concentrate, and work wonders in medicine, science or whatever else people are good at? Didn't God give people the good health and good fortune to become in life what they have become today?

Yet ... when you watch famous celebrities on TV ... or aspiring celebrities ... have you notice how many of them are full of themselves and proud of what they have achieved; rather than acknowledging where their talents and abilities come from and thank God for their good fortune.

In the parable of the talents, (Luke 19:11-28), Jesus tells the story of the nobleman who gives his three slaves one coin each. When he returns from his travels he calls the three slaves. One of them has managed to invest his coin and he made ten more coins, the second slave managed to make five more coins, whilst the third has hidden the coin away and returned it with no interest or profit.

The nobleman rewards the two slaves and punishes the one who made nothing.

What Jesus is teaching here is that it is good and worthy to work and become rich. It is good to use our talents, whatever they are, to the full, and for the benefit of us and others. 

But we should not forget where our talents come from.

God gave us all talents to use in order to glorify Him. And it is right that we use our talents to their full extent.

As Jesus said: "No one lights a lamp and hides it under a bowl or puts it under a bed. ... " (Luke 8:16). 

It should be made to shine to honour and glorify God.

Although, personally, I would never put a lamp under a bed as it might start a fire throughout the house. Where's the talent in that?

But I digress once again.

So ... as I was saying ... let's not be shy about our God-given talents; but let's use them wisely for God.

Even if your talent is ... (like mine) ... writing Blogs that nobody reads.

At least Jesus is reading them and chuckling to Himself.

God bless.

20 comments:

  1. Message delivered very effectively, Victor. And yes, I imagine you've made Jesus chuckle more than once:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope Jesus has a sense of humour, Chris. Otherwise I am in real trouble.

      Keep smiling. God bless.

      Delete
  2. I love the thought of Jesus laughing! Again, a wonderful, thought-provoking post. I've always been a bit guilty of seeing a gifted artist, singer or athlete perform and thinking, "Well, I could never do anything like that." … believing I have nothing to offer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We all have something to offer, Mevely. Just a smile could bring sunshine to someone's life. I'm sure you're treasured by many who know you.

      God bless you.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Brian. Great to see you visiting here. Thanx.

      God bless you and yours.

      Delete
  4. Most "successful" and famous people, assuming fame is any function of success which I don't, have a specific talent, work really hard, take chances, don't get discouraged and somewhere along the line get a lucky break.

    I would be "successful" and famous if only I had a bit more talent, wasn't so dang lazy, was not afraid to take chances, discouraged easily, and have no luck at all.

    I do see many athletes point to the sky after they do something really good. I assume that is sincere gratitude for the prime source of their success.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes JoeH. I hope when athletes point to the sky, or make the sign of the Cross, they really mean it as an act of thankfulness; and it isn't just for show knowing that the camera is pointing at them.

      God bless.

      Delete
  5. Whatever talent(s) we might have, we should develop and use them for God's glory, not ours alone. After all, He's the One who gave us these gifts in the first place!
    Love how you flawlessly mixed humor with a serious concept, Victor. Brilliant!
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, Martha. Any talent we may have, even good health or the ability to learn and be successful, are given us by God. And we should use them for His glory.

      So glad you liked the humour I put in. God bless you and your family.

      Delete
  6. We all have talent, be thankful that everyone's is different. Enjoy life, be the best you can be and use your God given talent to the best of your ability.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well said, Bill. Our talents are gifts from God. Our gift back is to use them wisely.

      God bless you always.

      Delete
  7. I'm grateful for your talent! It is wonderful to visit here and be lifted up by you sense of humor! Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a kind compliment Cathy. Thank you so much.

      God bless you always my friend.

      Delete
  8. Great post Victor. God has given us all a talent that we are to use to glorify Him.
    Like how you explained it with humor.
    I'm happy to be one to enjoy your writing talent! : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Happyone. As long as I make my readers smile, that makes me very happy. So kind of you to write in saying you enjoy my writings.

      God bless you.

      Delete
  9. Well, i read them and yes, you have talent and you are using it well to His glory. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kindness, Mimi. Please invite your friends here too.

      God bless you.

      Delete
  10. God gives us gifts all of the time but He only ask that we appreciate them and to remember who made them possible.
    God also gave us you Victor. You teach us about God's word and you keep our hearts light with your humor.

    God's Blessings ✝

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very kind, Jan. Indeed, we should appreciate and acknowledge where our talents come from.

      God bless you and your family.

      Delete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.