Thursday 5 October 2023

Art Series - Picasso

 


Martha, a regular visitor of this Blog has set me a challenge: "How about tackling Picasso?" she said. You can visit Martha HERE.

Well, that's quite a challenge. There's so much to say about Picasso; so much so that it will take ages to write and read. 

Pablo Ruiz Picasso (25 October 1881 – 8 April 1973) was a Spanish painter, sculptor, printmaker, ceramist, and theatre designer.  He spent most of his adult life in France and is one of the most influential artists of the 20th century, he is known for co-founding the Cubist movement, and many other things besides.

He is listed in the Guinness Book of World Records as history’s most prolific professional painter. He created between 1,300 and 1,900 paintings between the time of his first art classes at age 7 and his death at 91. Compare that to the fact that I've just finished painting the spare room, and it took me three months, much to the chagrin and complaints from my wife, and you'll understand his rate of painting. I kept explaining to my wife that a masterpiece cannot be rushed even though all the walls were in one colour, but she did not understand; nor did she appreciate the brush strokes on the wall and the hint of individuality with every lick of paint.

Back to Picasso. Look at the painting above. It is called "Le RĂªve" - The Dream. Looks a bit like me in front of the TV when Jennifer Aniston is on. This dreamer will have a cricked neck I tell you.

Now look at this:

Painted in 1921 it is called "Nu assis s'essuyant le pied" (Seated Nude Drying her Foot). Well, I don't know about you, but I would advise her to visit the doctor about her right foot.

Then in the same year we have ...

Nous autres musiciens (Three Musicians)

 I don't know about you, but I can't work out which musical instruments they are playing. Let that be the competition for today. Any suggestions? No prizes.

Also ... suggestions for Art paintings or artists to be researched here always welcome. 

15 comments:

  1. I've only seen one original Picasso -- doing my best to sound enthusiastic/envious to its owner -- but I find his works to be a huge turn-off.
    The three amigos? I'm going with keyboard on the right and --judging from the bow in his hand -- an (invisible) stringed instrument on the left. His trousers look like something I used to see in the disco!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have painted many originals that look like Picassos. I just slapped paint over the canvas, the floor, the walls and even the ceiling. Real masterpieces. But my wife insisted I clean them up afterwards. They could have been worth a fortune.

      The guy in the middle seems to be eating a piece of chocolate. Toblerone? (Is that a musical instrument?)

      God bless you, Mevely.

      Delete
  2. Instruments: left facing in is the violin, then the sax and finally on the right is the key board. Mind you it takes some very acute observing and you must listen to the music to be sure. Since I am totally deaf, it was a little of a problem imagining.
    But hey, you asked.
    I love art that I can understand, I understand drying feet, that is the only thing I noticed in that painting......
    Sherry & jack (Strictly jack's comment this time)

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS: Sherry did comment something like she is too heavy. the foot dryer....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Jack, Sherry is right. The foot dryer is too heavy; although that's not where I was looking at first.

      I think you got the musicians right. I thought the middle one was eating a Toblerone.

      God bless you and Sherry and family.

      Delete
  4. I loved this, Victor! You did cover much about Picasso that I never knew before, so I did learn something new. And your humor? Always great!
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanx Martha for your kind words. I really don't know why people pay such great sums for his paintings. I can paint like that too.

      God bless you and yours.

      Delete
  5. The bits and pieces band playing ""Anything Goes".

    ReplyDelete
  6. Keep up the good work. You make me laugh with every blog post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good to laugh. Keep visiting us, Barbara, for more laughs and good reads.

      God bless always.

      Delete
  7. I never understood Picasso. Maybe he's an acquired taste.

    ReplyDelete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.