Friday 8 March 2024

Speedy the tortoise

 

Any animal psychologists out there?

We have a tortoise which the family named Speedy Gonzales. We also have a rabbit, a cat and a dog as well as a number of fishes in the pond in the garden.

Suddenly and quite recently there has been a marked difference in behaviour in Gonzales the tortoise. Usually he sits or sleeps sedately in his box, or chews on a lettuce leaf for ages and does nothing else. But suddenly, perhaps inspired by our dog, his behaviour has changed.

As soon as I get home he comes rushing to me and jumps up high from the ground trying to reach my chest. He runs round in circles and jumps up again and again until I stoop down and pick him up. 

When I do so he licks my face happily and wags his little tail excitedly. It's very unusual behaviour for a tortoise, but you should see his tail wagging left and right as his tiny tongue attempts to kiss me. 

I guess it's his way of showing me his affection. It's like humans I suspect. Have you never been so excited to meet someone you like that you jumped on them and licked their face? No ... perhaps not.

When I'm out in the garden exercising our dog by throwing a ball the tortoise runs as fast as it can to fetch it before the dog does. Of course, the ball is too big for Gonzales' tiny mouth, so the tortoise let's the dog pick up the ball and then he bites the dog's tail gently so he could be dragged all the way back to me so we can start the game all over again.

Gonzales now insists on going out for walks with the dog. I have made a tiny collar which I place round his neck and attach it to a lead and take both creatures out together. I must say, for a tortoise he certainly keeps up the pace with the dog. He even, every now and then, lifts up his back leg like the dog, and pretends to do his business by a tree. The problem here is that sometimes he loses his balance and falls over on his back and is unable to get up again. He rolls backwards and forwards gaining momentum every time in order to finally tip over to his normal upright position. Either that, or the dog rolls him over with his nose.

I don't know how long Gonzales' behaviour will last. The vet had no explanation to offer and suggested it was "acquired transferable behaviour", whatever that means.

I wonder, have any of you readers experienced such unusual behaviour in your pets? Have you for example ever had a parrot trying to learn to swim? Or a guinea pig or hamster clucking like a chicken? Or any other similar uncharacteristic behaviour?

I had a neighbour once who liked to imitate birds. She ate worms. But that's another story!

16 comments:

  1. Actually, I've never given the tortoise much thought. Yours, on the other hand, sounds like a charming character. Perhaps he should go on one of those "Got Talent" shows?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No chance on "Got Talent" shows. I tried teaching him to play the piano. He was useless. Kept falling off the high notes!

      God bless, Mevely.

      Delete
  2. ...slow and steady wins the race.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should see him on roller-skates!

      God bless, Tom.

      Delete
  3. This is one wild and wondrous tale, Victor. Love your sense of humor. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's all true, Martha. Just ask my talking dog; he'll confirm my story.

      God bless you.

      Delete
  4. You have a most unusual tortoise.

    ReplyDelete
  5. YOu should visit the head doctor... Just sayin'///
    Thanks for the smiles, we always enjoy the visit and smiles. We both appreciate your prayers and thoughts. I also offer a prayer for you over there. Love from here...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still praying for you my friends. Glad to see you are back blogging and are OK. Thanx for your much needed prayers. God bless always.

      Delete
  6. I had an annoying friend who did bird imitations; I told him to imitate a homing pigeon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good one, David. I like it. Brilliant.

      God bless.

      Delete
  7. The tortoise in your image looks a friendly one!

    Wishing you a good new week ahead.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  8. I knew a cat that would walk on a leash like a dog. She loved her twice a day walks. Some pets just do things that are unexpected.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a cat that walked on a lead. It was difficult for me when he dragged me up trees and on house roofs.

      God bless, Mimi.

      Delete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.