Monday 12 November 2018

Shoes



I was out walking in the countryside the other day taking some exercise and breathing the fresh air. It was a little cold and it was spitting slightly. That light drizzle which you get sometimes in Britain and it goes on for ages creating damp, wet and gray everywhere.

I kept walking down the country lane towards a village a few miles away, looking forward to a sit down in a pub with a pint of Guinness. Might as well wet the inside as well as the outside; I thought.

Anyway, as I walked on I noticed that I had a hole in my shoe; and it was letting in water. My left foot started to get cold and damp.

I stopped at a bus shelter which you sometimes find in the countryside and took my shoe off. I had miles still ahead of me; so I decided to make another hole in my shoe with my pen so that the water that came in from the existing hole could go out of the new one.

In the countryside buses come round every ten years or there about, so I had a long wait and time to kill. I sat there ruminating about everything in general and shoes in particular.

Do you realize that shoes are the most important invention in humanity?

Without shoes the human race would not have got very far. They would have stumbled their toes against a rock or stepped on sharp objects and got no further.

Armies of soldiers over the centuries would not have gone further than their barracks. The Romans would not have conquered anything and their politicians would have spent their time washing their feet from animal deposits left in the streets instead of telling everyone what to do.

Without shoes Cinderella would not have found her Prince and married him. And the Prince would not have had a meddling mother-in-law and two ugly sisters-in-law as well.

It is fair to say that without shoes humanity would not have progressed at all.

Shoes are the most important item of clothing ever invented. One can be totally naked but without shoes one would go nowhere and be there for all to see.

My thoughts, for some reason, turned to nudist camps. You know the ones? Places where people go to air their differences.

I don’t know why people go to such places; but many do. Even on very cold days, I understand!  

I wonder if nudists wear socks with their shoes! I mean … how can they possibly play tennis in bare feet?

And if they play cricket or baseball, do they wear gloves, helmets and those thick leg pads? Or hats and sunglasses when it is sunny?

At what point does a nudist cease to be a nudist, I wonder?
Is a person wearing a hat, sunglasses, gloves, leg pads, socks and shoes - and nothing else - still a nudist?

And why is it when you see photos of nudists they are often old and wrinkly as if their skin needs ironing?

Is it OK for nudists to wear glasses to see things better? Without glasses they may miss small things and stumble.
My reverie was interrupted by the bus coming down the hill. I got on and dreamed of a cool Guinness waiting for me!

So ... what do you think about shoes ... and nudists? Do you approve?

22 comments:

  1. Wet the inside as well as the outside, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the way your mind wanders.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wanders more slowly when there's a hole in my shoe and it's letting in water. Letting in water ...

      God bless you Kathy.

      Delete
  3. Indeed, these are important issues! Now you've given me far more pleasant mind-fodder than what's being shown on our television.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do they have TV programs about shoes where you live? The mind boggles.

      God bless you, Mevely. Keep smiling.

      Delete
  4. This was a "shoe in" for a good laugh, Victor! Your random thoughts just keep on coming, and that makes me happy.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy when my readers are happy, Martha. It's amazing what a hole in one's shoe can lead to?

      God bless you always.

      Delete
  5. We may ave been better off in someways without them.

    My mom used to say it was spitting when it was a drizzle, never heard anyone else say that, is it a UK thing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Joeh, it is a UK saying when we get a continuous drizzle that is not quite rain. We say it's spitting. It's happening now as I write. Every thing seems damp rather than wet if you see what I mean. The light rain slowly soaks into the ground and the air is so cold it goes right through you.

      Glad this story brought back memories for you.

      God bless you and your family.

      Delete
  6. Of course a nudist is still a nudist...IF they wear sandals on their feet... but without socks! Some of those older gentlemen nudists can't seem to remember that they left their Bermuda shorts at home when they joined the nudist colony :)
    What would we do without your humor Victor :)
    BTW...I just posted my ghost story~

    Blessings 💮

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jan,

      One thing I do not understand, and I am curious. When nudists go to a nudist camp, they take off their clothes, and put them safely in a locker. Where do they put the key to the locker?

      I mean, they can hardly have it hanging there round ... their neck.

      God bless you, Jan.

      Delete
    2. I don't want to even consider "where" they would keep that key :)

      Delete
    3. It's just my imagination thinking, Jan.

      God bless.

      Delete
  7. When I was small, I had a pair of galoshes to put over my shoes. I hated wearing them but they did offer protection from the puddles I would tend to walk through. :) Drizzle is called spitting here too. I hear a lot of people say that. What does a nudist do when they are cold, I always wondered that. Strange but people do get cold. :)

    Enjoy the evening, Victor!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aha ... Bill. Now you really got my imagination thinking. How do nudists warm themselves up? I have seen people rub their hands together to warm them up ... but ...

      Thanx for cheering me up, Bill. Happy evening and God bless.

      Delete
  8. As a walker shoes are very important to me! With good comfortable shoes I could walk all day!
    Did the two holes in your shoe work? : )
    Wouldn't be so great being a nudist in the kitchen frying food!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Happyone,

      You make my point admirably. Without shoes, humanity would not have walked anywhere. It would have stood still. Naked or otherwise.

      In my case, no ... the second hole let in even more water. I can't understand why.

      Indeed, it must be dangerous frying food in the nude. Hey ... that's a title to a song: "Frying Food In The Nude!"

      God bless you, my friend.

      Delete
  9. I'm just shaking my head at how your mind works and chuckling through all the comments!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chuckling and laughing are good. They make us shake all over.

      God bless you, Terri.

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. Do you approve to shoes or nudism, Chris? Or both?

      I read in the news that nudism is a shrinking business, especially in winter. Needs more advertising, I think.

      God bless you.

      Delete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.