Sunday 5 May 2019

Stop the world - Let me off

Can you see me in the picture above? Running round and round in the wheel ever going faster and faster?

That was me years ago when I worked in a managerial position in a big multi-national firm in London.

It was all about responsibilities, working hard, being focused, waking up early and commuting to London, or sometimes travelling long distances on the highway to various locations, getting home late, and doing it all over again day in day out, working all the hours available and more besides.

And at the same time doing one's best to raise a family, paying all the bills, being a good husband, parent, son, sibling, friend and all else besides.

OK ... by now you must all be thinking, "So what? We all have to do that."

And that's exactly the point of my post today.

We all have to do that. Whether we are a manager, a doctor, accountant, lawyer, carpenter, plumber or whatever else our job may be, we all have to do that.

That's what our modern, sophisticated, advanced, enlightened society has created. A wheel for each one of us in which we enter and run ever so faster and not seeming to get anywhere. Ever increasing responsibilities leading to worries, fears, and cares as we try our best to survive in life and keep our heads above water whilst certainly harming our health a little at a time until ...

Life becomes a struggle just to live.

Is that what God wants of us? To spend our lives struggling against all odds to just about survive?

We can't all say, "Stop the world and let me off."

We can't all give up our jobs and responsibilities and go and live a simpler life out in the countryside close to nature; where squirrels wash your dishes and birds hang your laundry on the clothes line.

Modern life dictates a certain income if we are at the very least to bob along our perilous journey without sinking; never mind keeping up with the Joneses who seem to be speeding ahead in a motor boat.

And as we grow older, and assuming we survive the struggles that come our way, and we eventually retire there is no respite ahead. No getting off the wheel or at least slowing it down a little.

No ... the work still has to go on. We should be there for our children when they need us, looking after the grand-children when asked, baby-sitting them or taking them to school or shopping and so on. Also volunteering for this and that; doing a million and one other jobs around the house which for some reason got procrastinated all those years ago; and any spare minutes one has which vaguely resemble leisure have to be filled in with some hobby or other, or some exercise to keep you fit, or some other nonsense which the doctor or nurse has suggested to keep you healthy.

Talking of doctors ... mine suggested that I do something every day that makes me slightly out of breath. So I took up smoking.

For me retirement should mean just that. Retire from life and do nothing.

If the lawn needs cutting just buy yourself a goat to do it for you. It will grow up again anyway.

If the house needs cleaning just start a hobby of collecting dust instead.

If there are books to be read, because you've always promised yourself to read them anyway when you've got time, just wait until they make them into a film; then watch them with the subtitles on and hey presto ... you've read them.

(This doesn't apply to my books, by the way; which are always a good read. I'm re-reading mine in my spare time! I'd encourage you to do the same).

If the nurse suggests exercise to keep you fit just use the remote control for the TV more often; you'd be surprised how nimble your fingers will get.

And don't waste time and money joining a gymnasium or keep fit club. I did that for six months to lose weight and did not lose one ounce. No one told me that joining a gym means I had to attend regularly too!

Try your best in retirement to avoid work as much as possible.

If you're caught in the rat race of working hard to make ends meet, I am sorry for you. I know how you feel because I did it myself.

All I can say, as honestly as I can, is get your priorities right.

God. Your family. And your health.

Don't do anything that would harm any of these.

Life is difficult ... I know. But God is by your side. Only a prayer away.

25 comments:

  1. "...live a simpler life out in the countryside close to nature; where squirrels wash your dishes and birds hang your laundry on the clothes line."

    This is exactly how I do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Snow White and the seven dwarfs come out of our woods each day to help me with my household chores and Bambi loves following me around the yard picking apples off the apple trees in autumn and the pears, too.
    Yes, I have a storybook existence because I love books.
    God is a very important chapter in my life so I have our family Bible.
    God helps me live my life and prayer keeps us in touch with one another.
    Loving this post Victor.

    God's Blessings My Friend

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really envy your storybook existence, Jan. But I'm sure you see what I mean when some of us, like me, get trapped in the hamster wheel and have to run faster and faster just to exist. I don't think God intended it this way for us to lead our lives.

      Thank you for your prayers, Jan. God bless you and your family.

      Delete
  3. Amusing and insightful, both!
    I've taken the liberty of sharing this on my FB page.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very kind, Mevely. Thank you so much for sharing this post on Facebook.

      God bless you always.

      Delete
  4. I have found that if you put God FIRST, somehow He gives us the time to get what He wants us to do done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So true, Victor. If you get caught up in the wheel, you'll eventually run out of time. Priorities are important. My wife tells me we are rich with our lives and experiences but not like the people who put money first. We have enough money to live but our lives are blessed and rich in other ways. Much happier that way.
    Great post and message, Victor and a very nice evening for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Bill. It is sad how some people, including me, get trapped in the hamster's wheel.

      God bless you always.

      Delete
  6. I reflect on those busy years of "running in the wheel," trying to juggle kids and work, and I appreciate my retirement just that much more. Yes, I stay busy, helping out with grands, running errands, etc., but my priorities really are more focused. God comes first and foremost! Only He can get us off the merry-go-round of life and simply allow us to be.
    Blessings, Victor!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true, Martha. When we're retired we can still be busy; but through choice and to be available for our loved ones.

      God bless you and yours.

      Delete
  7. I do t think the doctor had smoking in mind, lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice to see you visiting here Akasha. Thank you. See you again soon.

      God bless.

      Delete
  8. Brilliant post and message here, Victor.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is a comforting thought :)

    And if I live to be 90, I am going to buy a carton of cigarettes and smoke the whole thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea, Chris. I wish you long life filled with great happiness and good health. Enjoy your paintings which give us all a lot of pleasure as mere envious spectators.

      God bless you always.

      Delete
  10. What comes into my mind is 'seek first the kingdom of God and all else will be added to you. Ever since I have been born again of God's Spirit I have not worried about what tomorrow will bring. The Lord has provided everything we have needed and more. We started off in our married life going to Australia on a ten pound assisted passage on a ship which took us to so many beautiful places in the world. Over time we have been to Australia three times, always by sea if possible, New Zealand once and Canada once, travelling around in these places and working in various jobs. We have had everything provided for us and I would never change anything. Most of all, after experiencing a 'near death experience' and being taken I believe to the 'third heaven' that Paul the apostle speaks of, I know that there is place that we will enter that is indescribable and that no place on earth can match up to when we trust and believe in our Lord Jesus and the Word enlightened to us by the Holy Spirit.
    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  11. By the way Victor, I agree with you regarding the goat for cutting the grass, I would love to have one, or a little lamb. Who knows? maybe one day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Brenda for sharing your experiences with us. It is truly wonderful to have such strong faith. If only there were more people with such faith.

      God bless you always.

      Delete
  12. Trials can be very hard Victor, but the more we trust in what is spoken to us through the Word of God (Who is not a man that He should lie) the stronger in Him we become. I have experienced a miraculous healing through the prayer of faith, and other healings, so I know what can be received from the Lord when the gifts of the Spirit operate in the church as they are meant to. Unfortunately tradition is cancelling out truth in many areas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have a wonderful strong faith, Brenda. Sadly, faith is lacking amongst many people these days. They refuse to believe.

      God bless you.

      Delete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.