Saturday 20 June 2020

Don't critique my underpants



I want to be a critic. You know the kind? Like those professional people who work for a newspaper, or magazine, or even TV and they write critiques on cars; which make and model is the best and why.

Or they write critiques about books, films, plays in the theatre, or restaurants.

And what they say matters because they tend to influence many people. The buying public does take account of what they say, it seems.

So if any critic says something nice about my books, hopefully more people would buy and enjoy a copy.

Well, that's what I want to be when I grow up. A critic.

Not of cars for I know very little about cars. Or books, or films or plays or restaurants either. I have no time for any of these.

Far too busy writing my own books, you know.

I'd rather be a food and drinks critic.

For example, I like Guinness.
It's nice whether you buy it in a bottle, a can, or get it in draught from a pub.

There, that's one critical review to my name.

I could also say I like whisky, and my favourite liqueur is Drambuie; and I like a certain tomato ketchup but I get my finger stuck in the top trying to get the last drop out. Why is it there's always a little ketchup that will not come out of the bottle?

Positive critiques or reviews may influence people and encourage them to buy the product. I am grateful to many of you for your kind and generous reviews of my books.

But a negative review can be much more harmful.

It costs a lot of money to make a film, or to put on a production on stage, or to open a restaurant, or make a computer game. All it takes is one bad review to negate all the costs involved and possibly ruin the people or organisations behind the business venture. 

Sometimes, reviewers compete to outdo each other in their negative reviews. They don't want to be out of step with other reviewers, it seems.

I sometimes wonder whether such reviewers think seriously about the harm they are doing with their bad reviews. So they really care? Can they really do any better themselves? Have they ever produced a film or a play, or made a computer game or opened a restaurant? Have they ever risked their money in doing something only to find it is criticised by others?

And how about religion?

I could review different religions and Christian denominations and tell you what I think of each of them and perhaps recommend them to you.

As a Christian, I could also write reams of papers about Christianity, what it is, what it means, and why it is good for you.

You too, you can also do the same and write books and blogs and magazine articles about Christianity.

On the other hand, we could show Christianity by the way we live.

"Preach the Gospel at all times and when necessary use words." St Francis of Assisi.

18 comments:

  1. I say write from your heart and from your soul!
    Be yourself.
    A critic is someone who is giving a personal opinion of someone else's work. One can have rave reviews or terrible views but it all boils down to it being someone's opinion.
    You bring up some great points Victor.
    But I will always go by my own likes and dislikes for myself.
    Everyone is entitled to their on opinion and that is fair.

    Have a great day 💮
    God's Blessings My Friend.

    P.S. Our plans fell through so I am blogging instead of what we had planned to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great to see you blogging again, Jan. Thanx.

      It's sad that reviewers can ruin fortunes spent on making a film, or a play on stage, or a computer game by their reviews. It happens. And many people are influenced by what they say.

      God bless.

      Delete
  2. I love that quote from St. Francis, Victor. Let us, by our actions, tell the world that we follow Jesus.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen Martha. Let us be examples Christ would be proud of. But I hope He also spends some time reading my blogs too.

      God bless you.

      Delete
  3. I never pay attention to critics, I prefer my own opinion, it's the only one that matters.
    Have a winderful evening, Victor. BTW, I prefer Guinness in a bottle, no cans for me. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you on both counts, Bill. I don't take notice of critics and yes, I prefer Guinness in bottles too. Even better in a glass with the white cream on top. I pour it with the glass at 45 degrees angle in one steady flow. I have special Guinness pint glasses with the golden harp engraved which I got when in Dublin.

      I'll drink a pint to your health right now. God bless.

      Delete
  4. What a splendid quote by St. Francis! In the last 5-6 years at my (former) workplace, there was a great push to have guests leave reviews. Unfortunately, however, I think it's human nature that folks are more inclined to do so when they're unhappy about something. Professional critics? I'm suspect (that) some of them have been 'rewarded' in some manner for a favorable nod.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that guests at hotels/restaurants are more likely to leave a review if they are unhappy. It's human nature, isn't it? We are a race of Moaner Lisas!

      Yes, I believe professional book reviewers do get some rewards for a good review. I have found such. I guess it's the same for film and play reviewers; and computer games reviewers.

      God bless you Mevely.


      Delete
  5. A friend always said "Let me be transparent so that Christ can be through me." So very true.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Others should know a Christian by how they live. Sad that so many Christians claim to be Christian but are far from it.
    It is just the critics opinion. I'd rather form my own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right Happyone. Many wear the label Christian as if it is a badge. Something to identify them; and no more.

      God bless you.

      Delete
  7. I love this message, Victor.
    And I love Drambuie & Guinness, too:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hooray ... another person with good tastes. I'll drink to that.

      God bless, Chris.

      Delete
  8. Your reviews sound right to me!

    ReplyDelete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.