Friday 21 January 2022

Hollow Deck?

 

In this Blog I try to offer a varied diet for your edification and entertainment. Often, I post a Christian themed article, then there's humour, music, scientific articles which I have spent a lot of time researching in the deep recesses of my mind, and whatever other subjects I dream of in a moment of whisky induced imagination.

And now for something completely different.

I wonder how many of you are familiar with that wonderful TV and Film series Star Trek? We all have our favourites, if we like that sort of thing. Personally, I prefer The Next Generation with Captain Jean-Luc Picard played by the English actor Patrick Stewart.

Picard is an odd fellow I think. He has a perfect English accent yet he is supposed to be from France. Why does he not speak with a French accent and say things like, "What eez zis out zere? Eez eet anozer extra terrestiaaal form of zee life in zee outer space ... zee final front ear? Zeese are zee voyages of zee starship Enterprise. Zee mission eez to explore zee strange new worlds. To seek out zee new life and zee new civilizations. To boldly go where no man haz gone before!"

Which perhaps explains why Picard was bald ... to baldly go ... or to go baldly if you do not wish to split zee infinitive.

Anyway, my mind is wandering ... I need anozer whisky. 

In Star Trek they have something on the spaceship called the holodeck. It is a large room, and before you enter it, you ask the computer to load a particular favourite program of yours. Once you enter the room, it transforms into whatever your computer program is. You could suddenly be in a rich mansion in the 19th or early 20th Century England, you could be in a field riding a horse, or transported back to a Western scenario with cowboys, or in Shakespearean times, or whatever. 

The computer creates the scenario for you with real computer animation 3D characters with whom you can interact, have a discussion with, or whatever. In one Star Trek episode they were transported into a Sherlock Holmes scenario and met James Moriarty.  

OK ... now over to you.

Imagine you had a holodeck. Where would you like to be transported to and who would you like to meet? What would you discuss or what question would you ask them? 

Remember, the holodeck computer has been programmed with all characters and scenarios you would wish to imagine and the characters you ask for will respond and behave exactly as they would do if they were alive and with you right now. For example, you may wish to meet up with Groucho Marx in 21st Century Britain, or in your favourite restaurant or ...

So ... tell us what is in your holodeck computer program?

26 comments:

  1. I would use my holodeck to go to Star Trek. I am a huge Trekkie. 🖖

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a brilliant answer, Sandi. Yes, I think I'd like to be in a Star Trek episode myself.

      God bless.

      Delete
  2. ...Star Trek is something. that never interested me, I'll stop back again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never know what I'm going to find when I drop in, Victor. And that makes for a really good blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I spend hours thinking of new and varied posts, Linda. So glad you like them. Invite your friends here too.

      God bless always.

      Delete
  4. It is a tough trip across the Atlantic. I have made it several times on different ships of course, but now the trip is much better. I just click 'Time For Reflections' and within seconds (if I have a good signal) I am with you.
    I never was a Trekkie. But if I could step into a room called a holo what ever, I would be transported to a cattle drive of the 1800s and be a COWBOY. ... As an old guy, I have definitely dropped back to my Grandpa Lonnie's time.
    Enjoyed your fantasy, now beam us down.... ;-)
    ..
    Thanks Sherry & jack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so love how the internet has brought us together, Jack. As you say, one click and we are at each other's Blogs. I would like to join you on a cattle drive but I cannot ride a horse. Too afraid they'd run away with me helpless on top.

      I prefer the old style wooden rocking horses. They are safe and don't cost much in food, horse shoes and vet fees.

      God bless you and Sherry.

      Delete
  5. Never was a Star trek fan and only saw a few episodes. I did think it was cool that William Shatner got a chance to really go up in space. How very fortunate for him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very brave of William Shatner to go into space. I would never have done that. I like all my space in a TV Studio.

      God bless, Bill.

      Delete
  6. I, too, was never a fan of Star Trek. But given the opportunity to halo transport? How about amid Scarlett O'Hara (Gone with the Wind) and the once-proud Confederate States Army. With better personal hygiene, that is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was a great film Mevely with Clark Gable. A bit too long, but still a great film.

      Films in those days were so much better, I think.

      God bless always.

      Delete
  7. Dearest Victor,
    You lost me (us) as we have NO clue about what you are talking. Never had time for watching such movies or whatever they're called.
    Often away for work and then, keeping up with family and friends in four continents takes a lot of time and effort.
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Star Trek is a TV series and films about people exploring outer space. It was very popular in its time; and I believe it still is. Over here they are re-showing old films on TV.

      God bless you, Mariette and your family.

      Delete
    2. We both love far more the historic movies... and are more concerned about our next life instead of outer space 😉

      Delete
  8. Surprised so many people didn't care for Star Trek from the comments. I loved all the series.
    My favorite Star Trek was with Jean-Luc.
    My holodeck would be a sunny day with me walking along paths and trails, down country roads, through the woods, and towns. Hey wait a minute I don't need a holodeck. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so lucky, Happyone, to have your own real life holodeck on your doorstep. You just go out of the house, and you're in the holodeck already programmed for you. You're a real life Star Trek character.

      God bless.

      Delete
  9. From its early beginnings in the late 60's with William Shatner to the present, many in our family are Star Trek fans.

    Wishing you a happy weekend.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a fan too, Jan. I prefer The Next Generation series although they were all very good viewing.

      Best wishes. God bless.

      Delete
  10. There are so many places I would like to visit via Holodeck, but I don't have a clue who I would like to see and talk to there. I haven't seen New Generation Star Trek yet, I have all the episodes, but I'm catching up on other stuff too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Replies
    1. I hope you'll enjoy The Next Generation.

      God bless, River.

      Delete
  12. Would it be blasphemy to say i'd wish to go back and see Jesus and His early followers? Although i can't imagine any amount of computer programming would get them right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I don't think it's blasphemy. Good thought Mimi.

      God bless.

      Delete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.