Thursday 6 January 2022

The fox

 

It was a lovely warm summer afternoon. Father Ignatius had invited Theodore Luxton-Joyce and his lovely wife Rose to a barbecue in the church’s gardens. After all, the priest had been invited to the eccentric millionaire’s mansion many a time and it was perhaps appropriate that he should return the favor.

Father Donald was also there of course and had entertained the group with his guitar playing. Mrs Davenport had excelled herself in preparing a lovely meal helped by Sister Martha and a few other nuns from the Convent nearby, who had also been invited.

All in all it had been a lovely afternoon with great food and drink and a wonderful small gathering of friends enjoying themselves and each others company.

Father Donald had just finished his solo performance of some Spanish melody on the guitar when Theodore decided to change the mood of the party altogether.

“I have brought my bagpipes with me …” he declared, “they’re in the car … let me fetch them and play you a tune or two … what?”

Before anyone could react to the suggestion, he stormed out of the garden missing altogether the sideways glances between Sister Martha and Father Donald.

“He has been practicing for some time …” said Rose sweetly with a smile, “I don’t see why I should be the only one to enjoy his noise …”

“It’ll make a change from the guitar …” replied Father Donald in his broad Glaswegian accent, “and it’s great to have someone proud to be Scottish … I would have learnt to play the bagpipes myself … but it’s hard to practice when you’re brought up in the tenements of Glasgow …” he chuckled.

A few moments later Theodore re-appeared with his bagpipes in hand.

“You’re from up North Padre …” he asked Father Donald, “Do you play the bagpipes?”

“I’m afraid not …” replied the priest, “I learnt the guitar instead as a child …”

“Oh … I can teach you if you wish …” said Theodore enthusiastically, “although I can’t think off-hand of any church hymns suitable for the bagpipes …”

As he started blowing through the pipes and getting ever so redder in the face, his cheeks inflated to the point where they would explode, there was a rustling noise in the bushes at the back end of the gardens; just by the statue of Our Lady.

They all turned round towards the bushes as Theodore stopped playing, and they saw a fox come out of the bushes and fall on its side at the feet of Our Lady.

“Strange behavior …” whispered Father Donald, “I’ll go there slowly to investigate …”

The others remained in their seats by the barbecue and watched intently as the priest walked ever so slowly towards the fox, trying not to disturb it. When he was a few feet away the creature let out a scream but did not get up or even move. It just lay there baring its teeth threateningly. Father Donald stopped and then after a short while he walked backwards slowly to rejoin the group by the fire.

“It’s badly injured …” he said, “its back leg is bleeding … probably shot by a farmer in the lands just behind our gardens … or maybe bitten by some dogs …”

Theodore pulled Father Ignatius gently aside away from the group and then whispered quietly “I have my shot gun in the car Padre … shall I put it out of its misery?”

“No … that won’t be necessary Theodore … I’ll phone the Animal Welfare Society for their advice,” replied Father Ignatius, “in the meantime, get everyone in the house … luckily we’ve all finished eating.”

About half-an-hour later they all watched from the safety of the house as the Animal Welfare Society people dealt with the situation. They tried to capture the fox and take it to an animal hospital where it could be treated and looked after until it is strong enough to be released in the wild once again. Every time they approached the animal he bared its teeth again and attempted to bite his benefactors. Eventually, it was caught and taken to the hospital.

“And to think I was prepared to shoot him …” said Theodore looking out of the window, “luckily the Padre here stopped me … well done Padre!”

“That fox reminds me of our behavior …” said Father Ignatius gently as he poured his guests hot chocolate drinks just brought in by Mrs Davenport in an extra large pot.

“How so … Padre … I don’t look like a fox do I?” interrupted Theodore as Sister Martha smiled coyly.

“When things go wrong in our lives we too tend to behave like that fox,” continued Father Ignatius. “We get angry at what’s happened, we’re concerned, frightened even, about the future … we get defensive and we go on the attack. We believe that God has abandoned us; and we’ve reached the end of the line.

“When we behave like that, we shut off a channel of communication with God.

“When God is temporarily put aside, He doesn’t stop loving us, but we block His influence to do good in our lives. Like the fox, every time God tries to help us we bare our teeth in anger. Our behavior is futile and un-productive.

“The fox did not realize that by being caught he’d soon improve his hopeless situation. But we should know better, and trust our Lord rather than lash out at Him without thinking.”

“How true …” said Sister Martha, “what a good observation Ignatius.”

“Thank you Father,” said Rose, “I’ll remember that next time I feel things are getting too much!”

Theodore put his cup down and declared “Jolly good show that God doesn’t carry a shotgun … that’s what I say … what?”

26 comments:

  1. ...a number of years ago when I had my nursery we had a fox an very few rabbits. It was a good thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Foxes visit our garden every so often.

      God bless, Tom.

      Delete
  2. There is always a good solution to solve our problems if we take the time and think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right, Bill. People tend to act on impulse some times.

      God bless.

      Delete
  3. Nice example of God's reaction when we are in a bad position, and how we respond to the way God does this in order to teach us things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We often respond by blaming God when things go wrong.

      God bless, Brenda.

      Delete
  4. Dearest Victor,
    Another excellent story by you!
    I've only once, around 1:00 AM when I got up to use the bathroom, seen a red fox with a baby stand near our pond in the moon light. What a majestic animal.
    So glad it got rescued and cared for and yes, that's the same with us humans. One should never give up but try to focus beyond the temporary misery.
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had once a vixen with her little ones visit our garden.

      Often peoples' reactions are to turn against God when things go wrong. I'm so pleased you liked my story today, Mariette.

      God bless always.

      Delete
    2. This was an excellent story Victor.
      Oh, Pieter has finished your book about Take Care Of My Sheep and I've added his opinion to the review. Hope it soon will show up...

      Delete
    3. Yep, it is being released already...! So well deserved again.😉

      Delete
    4. You and Pieter are always so very kind to me, Mariette. Thank you so much. I'm very grateful.

      God bless you both.

      Delete
  5. Another excellent parable! And that last line cracked me up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad that God is not a punishing God with a shotgun. Theodore is a character from my book Theodore Luxton-Joyce.

      God bless you, Mevely.

      Delete
  6. That's a wonderful parable.
    Amazing Grace sounds beautiful on the bagpipes! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I do like it played on the bagpipes. Have you heard this version? Click the symbol to play on the right side of the page - scroll down

      https://victormoubarak.wixsite.com/victormoubarak

      God bless, Happyone.

      Delete
    2. That is lovely, steel guitar and piano, plus brushes on drums instead of sticks.

      Delete
    3. I am so pleased you like my taste in music, River. Thank you so much for checking out the link.

      God bless you.

      Delete
  7. We need to stop and think more before we act.
    I fear that in present times I find people do not seem to be doing this ... I find it a little worrying.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right, Jan. People seem to have lost the ability to think and they act on instinct. Thinking distinguishes us from the animals.

      God bless, Jan.

      Delete
  8. Yes, He's not tempted to "put us out of our misery." He just keeps trying to get our attention and help. Thank you for another excellent story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mimi. I don't believe God ever gives up on us. We get a second and a third and more chances to turn to Him for forgiveness.

      God bless.

      Delete
  9. I wish I knew just a smidgen more about what God has planned for me. Some days I get so down I just want to sleep all day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. God has planned for you, and for all of us, that we return to Him voluntarily in Paradise. To do so, we need to accept Him as our Creator and loving Father, and to accept Jesus as His Son.

      God bless, River.

      Delete
  10. More that God doesn't use a shotgun...I hope.

    Perhaps God sent the injured fox to stop Theodore from playing the pipes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good points, JoeH. Theodore is a character I've created in my stories/books who is of English/Scottish descent and never misses an opportunity to remind people of it. He can play Chopin's piano concerto on the bagpipes whilst pacing up and down as pipers do. He said it is easier than carrying a piano whilst marching up and down.

      God bless.

      Delete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.