Wednesday 12 January 2022

I Lost My Bow Tie

 

There I was the other day in a hurry to attend an important meeting when … dash it all … I could not find my bow tie!

You know the one; light turquoise with small pink flowers!

I looked everywhere and could not find it. Perhaps my cat had taken it and used it as a toy … it had vanished and I was in a hurry.

I prayed to St Anthony to help me find it but I think he was too busy searching for something else. So I chose my spotted ordinary tie instead, put on my best hat, and off I went.

Whilst in the taxi I thought about that old lady in the Bible who’d lost a coin. When she found it she held a party for her friends and neighbours to celebrate. Well, I certainly won’t be doing that if I ever find my bow tie … cheaper to buy another one, I thought. Although light turquoise with small pink flowers is somewhat rare, I tell you.

Then my thoughts wandered about what else people can lose and feel really bad about.

Money … jewellery … prized possessions … someone’s love perhaps … or even worse, a loved one.

It must be terrible when we lose a loved one and, although we believe as Christians that people go to a better place when they die, their departure does affect us greatly. We miss them … and to miss someone means that their presence had a good effect on our lives. Now they’re gone we feel the pain and anguish of their absence.

My empty brain was freewheeling now with one thought following another aimlessly through the various dark recesses of my mind.

What, for me, would be the greatest thing I could ever lose; something from which I would never recover, besides my turquoise bow tie, that is?

A small voice deep into my cranium whispered:

My Faith.

19 comments:

  1. I don't think I could ever lose my faith in Jesus. I have even had a miraculous healing through someone praying for me in His name in a pentecostal church in Adelaide.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How wonderful; thank you for sharing your story, Brenda.

      God bless you always. Pray for us.

      Delete
  2. Indeed, that would be the greatest loss. Unimaginable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One lost sheep; and Jesus grieves so.

      God bless, Mevely.

      Delete
  3. Dearest Victor,
    Well, we can shake hands on this one.
    Both of us came to Maastricht in the year 2000 for one of the International Mushroom Science Congresses and that ends every four year, with a formal banquet and dance.
    Pieter had his tuxedo with him and of course his velvet silk bowtie and cummerbund.
    But after putting it out of the suitcase, onto the bed we thought... it vanished. You should have seen us, straight out of the shower, taking apart the entire bed in the hotel room. But NOTHING turned up.
    Then Pieter with his ever present mischief, put his cummerbund on and topped his tuxedo shirt with the black opal button/studs off with his black opal bolo! I said, are you kidding?! Of course he said, I will set a new trend. And low and behold, in the bus towards the Castle, the British were the first to comment on Pieter's stylish formal wear... Haha! We never found it back and that was an absolute favorite bowtie.
    No, losing your Faith would be far worse.
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What an interesting and amusing story, Mariette. Thank you for sharing it with us. It is so annoying when you're in a hurry and you lose something.

      God bless you both.

      Delete
  4. For me the worst thing I could lose is my family. Children and grandchildren. I can't imagine life without them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I am still looking for mine. Sometimes I have it, other times not so much. I think my problem is thinking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try not to think so much, JoeH. Just trust God, as best you can; trust Him without thinking. Just like a child trusts his parents.

      God bless.

      Delete
  6. A loss of faith would be a terrible tragedy. Anyway, i do hope you find your bow tie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Losing one's faith is so tragic. I have known it happen.

      God bless, Mimi.

      Delete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.