Thursday 13 January 2022

The Power Of Negative Thinking

 

Have you ever considered the Power Of Negative Thinking? What it can do for you and how it can affect your life?

How many people, and how often, do they ask this question? Maybe you did it yourself.

They ask: "WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME?"

And immediately a list of answers come to mind. Perhaps inspired by the devil.

They start thinking: "there's something wrong with my nose. It is too large. My ears stick out; in the slightest breeze I spin round like a revolving door. I look like a car with its doors open. I am too tall, too short, too fat, too thin, too awkward. I am not well educated. I am shy. I am ... I am ... I am ..."

The list is endless. We can always find something wrong with us. The question "What is wrong with me?" is so easily answered. There is always something which we consider has held us back in life. Something we can use as a crutch, a prop, or a stick to support our perceived inadequacies.

It could be anything; as long as it is negative. Negative is powerful.

It could be your physical appearance, your background, race, religion, family history. Anything.

Years ago, a well-meaning boss told me that if I wanted to get on in this organisation I'll have to change my surname. I replied that it took me ages to learn how to spell my name; I was not going to start all over again with a new name.

I did get on in my career despite my name, or other negative things about me.

The real question in life is not "What is wrong with me?" but "What good does God see in me?"

Aha ... difficult to answer? Let not false modesty hold us back. Remember this, there are no rejects off God's production line. 

God created us all and He created us in His own image. This means, like God, we all have the ability to love, to care, to forgive, to be merciful, to be compassionate, to be kind, to be generous and to live as Jesus would have wanted us to.

It is all a matter of asking the right question: "WHAT GOOD DOES GOD SEE IN ME?"

28 comments:

  1. ...it can become easy to be trapped in negative thinking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is certainly true, Tom. It can ruin one's life.

      God bless you.

      Delete
  2. The real question in life is not "What is wrong with me?" but "What good does God see in me?"

    Wow!

    "...and to live as Jesus would have wanted us to."

    wants. Present tense. 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry Sandi. I was never good at grammar. My teacher told me at school, "Your grammar stinks!"

      I told Dad. He asked me, "Did she say which grandma stinks? My mother or your Mom's?"

      God bless.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for your prayers, Victor. My Father-in-Law is doing okay. Still in the hospital, but they are taking good care of him.

      I am almost at the end of your book, about 30 more pages, and have come up with a big Catholic question for you. The section on Communion got me to thinking. What is that all about anyway? I don't mean the debate about real vs. symbolic. I mean, why do it at all? My gut tells me it has something to do with Passover. The Last Supper was a Passover Seder afterall. But what is up with that? There are probably many books written about this. Anyway, does Catholic teaching have an answer?

      Delete
    3. Hi Sandi,

      So glad to hear your father-in-law is doing better.

      May I reply to your question by e-mail please?

      God bless.

      Delete
  3. Satan tries his hardest to keep us away from God.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a wonderful question to always keep in mind. God sees something that maybe you don't know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe God saves us from many situations we don't even know about.

      God bless, Bill.

      Delete
  5. I hope that God sees that I try hard to not be an ass-hat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you're right, JoeH. Saints are sinners who never gave up trying to do better.

      God bless.

      Delete
  6. Oh, the things I wish they'd taught in kindergarten! I love that question ... wondering when others' opinions began to overshadow my own sense of self. Grateful that God loves me 'Just as I am.'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We should try to pay less attention of others' opinions of us, Mevely. God loves you just as you are. Be yourself.

      God bless you always my friend.

      Delete
  7. Dearest Victor,
    There is a real need for being always positive; no matter what!
    Otherwise you drag yourself down and it also affects your health.
    Each day before going to sleep I thank God for the many privileges and the many good things that happened to us. The same day in the morning, at breakfast time, be grateful.
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have so much to be grateful for, Mariette. Things could be so much worse; and there are so many people worse than us.

      God bless you a Pieter.

      Delete
    2. So true Victor, the majority of people in this world...💞

      Delete
  8. How thankful I am that God sees the good in me and that He is patient with my faults.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Also, what good does He want to accomplish through me today? The reason we are to have streams of living water flowing out of us is that they flow into the lives of others, drawing them to The Lord.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed; our role is to make sure others see Jesus in us and our actions.

      God bless, Mimi.

      Delete
  10. I don't seem to have that negative personality. I know what is wrong with me, I'm either too fat, or too short for my weight, but I don't fixate on that to exclude everything that is right about me. I wish I knew why people do that, then maybe I could help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It all starts with understanding.

      God bless, River.

      Delete
  11. We're always harder on ourselves than on others. I often write about my struggle with this - in spite of knowing I am loved by God.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, we are often critical of ourselves. I suggest we make a list of our good points; our gifts given us by the Lord.

      God bless, Liz.

      Delete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.