Tuesday 8 March 2022

High Life

 

When I worked in London I lived in an apartment block. I had an apartment on the seventh floor overlooking a London park.

One day I got home and went out on the balcony of the apartment and found a snail. I was surprised. How did it get there? Did it climb all the way from the street below on the outside of the building? It must have taken him ages to get up to the seventh floor. Or did he get in through the front door of the building and took the elevator up to my apartment?

How did he manage to press the button No. 7 in the elevator? Or did someone do it for him?

My first instinct was to throw him out of the balcony, but I thought his shell would break as he hit the ground and he would die. 

So I thought of eating him as part of my meal. Not much of a portion, just one snail. Besides, I did not have any fresh garlic for the sauce.

So I decided to lower him gently to the street below in a small plant pot tied with a piece of string. The string was not long enough and he only reached floor No. 4 below me. So I pulled him back up again. Found a longer piece of string which I tied to the original string and lowered him gently to the street below. The stupid animal did not want to come out of the pot. I jiggled and shook the pot a few times by pulling and swinging the string. The snail would not come out.

At one point I thought he was out of the pot so I pulled the string up again. When I looked in the pot, the snail was still there.

All the time I was trying to work out how he got to my seventh floor balcony in the first place. 

Then a blackbird flew by and rested on the parapet of the balcony.

That's what must have happened. The blackbird had picked up the snail from the park and flew up here to eat it and clumsily dropped it into my balcony. No doubt he is back now searching for his snail. Well, he is not going to have it.

I imagined a wrestling type fight between me and the blackbird as to who will have the snail. Fortunately, he was a coward and flew away without putting up a fight.

I lowered the snail down to terra firma once more. I swung the pot and unfortunately the string broke. I now had a long piece of string but no pot. I pulled the string up and got all the way down to the street to retrieve my pot. The snail was no longer there. I wonder where it went.

In summer I usually had a nice pizza and beer sitting in that balcony looking down at the park opposite.  

One day I got in the kitchen for a few minutes and when I got back there was a bee in my glass of beer. There was not much beer in it, just a few drops. But enough to make the bee drunk. I retrieved it with a spoon and in order to revive it I put it in a cup of strong coffee. The stupid creature could not swim and died. Either that, or the coffee was too hot!

21 comments:

  1. I hope that stairs were finally fitted Victor..
    And that you were able to leave your flat,
    and reach ground level..! Rather than use a
    pot and string..!

    Nice to read though..that l would do the exact
    same thing as yourself..I'm doing the same thing
    in and around my garden..
    l have loads and loads of snails on my large potted
    Hostas in the summer, l don't put pellets down to
    kill them, just eggshell as a deterrent..
    I collect 10~12 snails daily, and take them and put
    them at the top of the garden, at the back of the
    pond..
    I love snails...let them purge in a box for a couple
    of weeks..quick boil..Garlic sauce, melted butter!
    Garlic bread...! And! Pussy~cat Fudge enjoys a share
    as well..! :).

    HeHe! Yeah! I've seen quite a few drunken bees crawling
    across the patio table..there better wine drinkers than
    they are beer drinkers..!
    AND..The less said about 'Blackbirds' the better..! :O).
    ♫♪•*¨*•.¸ðŸ”¥ðŸ’›ðŸ”¥¸.•*¨*•♪♫ ♫♪•*¨*•.¸ðŸ”¥ðŸ’›ðŸ”¥¸.•*¨*•♪♫

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have often seen blackbirds pick up snails in the garden for a meal.

    God bless, Willie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes! They pick them up..then beat them
    on a stone, to break the shell, then
    eat the snail..!
    As Otters beat clams/oysters on a stone placed
    on their tummies..to crack the shell, to consume
    the contents!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...I always thought that London balconies on the seventh floor came equipped with snails.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have to pay extra rent to have an apartment with snails already in it. I could not afford that.

      God bless, Tom.

      Delete
  5. You're always helping creatures, both human and others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I do Kathy. I spent a lot of money on sick horses and dogs. Mind you, I did not know they were sick before the race started.

      God bless.

      Delete
  6. I am proud of you for helping the snail. BUT, but you do know he lived on the 8th floor and was just about home, now he will start again, but he will skip that balcony. OR the building will be condemned and torn down before he got back home.
    Sherry & jack
    PS: Sherry is still on yesterday's entry laughing..... She will be along later, sorta snail like.. Please do not throw her off!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. D'Oh!!!! I did not realise that the snail lived in the apartment above me. I should have thought of that. Thanx Jack; you are probably right. I wonder where he went. Probably living in one storey bungalow somewhere in London.

      I love your sense of humour, Jack. I hope Sherry enjoys her visit here today.

      God bless you both.

      Delete
  7. It must have been lovely and quiet way up on the seventh floor, no traffic sounds, or very little at least.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was wonderful. I spent many hours just watching the goings-on in the park below, and the sunset on the horizon. You could sleep with the windows open and not worry about intruders.

      God bless, River.

      Delete
  8. I once had a snail show up in my bathroom near the shower. I always wondered how he got there, I lived on the 3rd floor. A bird is a good suspect. Thanks for the answer, Victor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, snails and slugs are amazing how they come in uninvited. Not many elephants visiting my London apartment though. They made appointments and then forgot to turn up.

      God bless, Bill.

      Delete
  9. I'm not certain if God would approve -- but I can't help but liken your snail rescue to the story of the Good Samaritan. All creatures are precious, both great and small.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you really mean a wasp, or a mosquito are precious? I blame Noah for them. Scorpions, spiders and snakes too. What was he thinking?

      I once picked snail from my doorstep and threw him in the bushes to save him from being trodden on and killed.

      A week later he rang my door bell and said, "What's the great idea throwing me into the bushes?"

      God bless, Mevely.

      Delete
  10. Maybe the snail lived on your balcony. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In that case he should have helped me pay the rent!

      God bless you, Happyone.

      Delete
  11. Maybe the snail was tired of living on the ground and wanted to live in your potted plant up on the 7th floor. You never know with snails.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the problem; we never know what is in someone else's mind.

      God bless, Mimi.

      Delete
  12. I do like your bird picture, and I have strong suspicions that a bird may be the culprit that left the snail on your balcony!

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that's the only feasible explanation Jan. The snail was still alive.

      God bless, Jan.

      Delete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.