Wednesday 5 July 2023

Beware of what you say

 

Look folks ... we really must be careful of the things we say. There are so many meaningless sayings which we've become accustomed to repeat like parrots and we don't even mean them.

When I was young my teacher told me I could be what I wanted to be in life. I wanted to be a bicycle. It never happened. After completing my education I became a junior manager, then a senior one, but never a bicycle. Shattered dreams? Or should I have been told the truth?

The other day, in a conversation in the pub, someone said "take it one day at a time". What did he mean? Is there any other way than one day at a time?

Or another silly saying. Cross that bridge when you come to it. My grandfather was always keen on this saying. Well, it never happened to me. I was walking by the river. My intention was to walk all along the river bank until I reached the bridge over a mile away and then cross to the other side. I walked and walked and when I got there that bridge was closed because of repairs. So I had to walk all the way where I started.

I hate these stupid sayings. My other grandfather used to say "fight fire with fire". Then he lost his job as a fireman.

My other grandfather loved to say "sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me". Then a whole bookshelf fell over him. 

My other other grandfather was a farmer. He always complained that his neighbour gets his goat; even though he only kept cows and sheep.

Finally, I remember one of my many grandfathers telling me, "never ever take any advice from anyone!" So I ignored him.

I'm sure you can think of other meaningless sayings. Share them with us below.

16 comments:

  1. ...I don't think that your other grandfather was correct!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ... that's why I did not listen to him.

      God bless, Tom.

      Delete
  2. "Take one day at a time" made me laugh out loud. Thanks for the entertaining examples -- I'm going to have to put on my thinking cap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes we long for time to move fast because we look forward to something or other; but in reality, we can only take one day at a time. Right now ... it's ice cream time. Do you like ice cream?

      God bless, Mevely.

      Delete
  3. I still am taking one day at a time. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Days are moving so fast these days. It's Wednesday already.

      God bless, Bill.

      Delete
  4. There are plenty of sayings out there that have lost the original punch of their meaning.
    Blessings, Victor!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder where "beating someone to the punch" originates from. Is it from boxing? Or drinking punch? Drinking from a punch bowl before everyone else?

      God bless, Martha.

      Delete
  5. There are a lot of sayings like that. Just can't think of another one right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How about: Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.

      God bless, Happyone.

      Delete
  6. There are so many sayings which many of us seem to use.
    How about 'Hold Your Horses' ?

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good one, Jan. These days more people need to hold their horses. Meaning: to stop and consider carefully their decision or opinion about something.

      God bless you.

      Delete
  7. My husband often says 'NOW THEN', don't do that.' I tell him that 'Now then' is two different time zones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, it's neither here nor there. Which makes me wonder, where is it then?

      God bless, Brenda.

      Delete
  8. Loose lips sink ships! That's what we say.

    ReplyDelete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.