Thursday 13 July 2023

There's always someone ...

 

It's a mad world ... and there's always someone more mad than you.

Whenever I open a tin of Spam, beans, or whatever, I always wipe the top clean before opening it. It's a peculiar habit of mine. The other day I was visiting someone and she actually washed a tin of peas with soap and water, then wiped it before opening it. And I thought I was odd.

Another oddity. I've known people who hide the remote control before they go out in case a burglar breaks in. Apparently, burglars don't steal TVs without the remote control.

Also, probably these same people, press hard on the buttons of the remote control when the battery runs out. Then they wonder why it still does not work.

There are so many peculiar oddities we do without thinking. Like checking the door is locked two or three times before leaving the house.

When we go on holiday we take special precautions too. Before leaving the house we empty all the drawers on the floor, we push over all the furniture and pictures off the wall and make the house generally untidy. That way, if a burglar breaks in he'll think we've already been burgled and he'll leave us alone.

Also when leaving the car; I usually press the button on the car key and hear the "beep" and flashing light to indicate the car is locked. Then I physically check all doors are locked. This is because once I locked the car the usual way with the button and despite the "beep" and light the car was still unlocked. I tried it two or three times, and every time the sound and light would happen but the car would not lock. Since then, despite changing several cars, I've never trusted those buttons on the car keys.

I've also been told that if your car is locked on your drive, and your key is in your house, some burglars have electronic equipment that can "read" your car key's signal and open your car without the key. One way to counteract this is to put your car key in a metal box. This stops the signal being picked up by burglars. I used to keep my car keys in the fridge. Some days ago burglars stole our fridge and left the car key on the table.

Another peculiar habit of some people is to rotate the plates, cups and saucers so that they all get used and none are left out feeling unwanted. So if you have six plates, you use the first two, wash them then place them at the bottom of the pile so that next time you use another two from the top, and so on.

Or some people put all their herbs and spices jars on the shelf in alphabetical order. I asked my friend, "how peculiar ... where do you find the time?" She said, "it's next to the rosemary and sage!"

And finally, which way do you put the toilet paper roll on the holder? Rolling towards you or away from you? What other peculiar habits have you got?


12 comments:

  1. ...Spam is hugely popular in Hawaii, but not with me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get a lot of Spam on my computer. But no Corned Beef.

      God bless, Tom.

      Delete
  2. What's funny, I recognize myself here! Yep, to wiping the top of canned goods and rotating the dinnerware. Unconsciously, I suppose b/c my mother did that way. I've heard that about guarding my car's remote -- but mine's so old and homely I double anyone would be tempted.
    PS - Team 'over the top.'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The reason I wipe the top of tins and cans is in case there's any dust that may go in the food. I guess we all have some habits that we do without any rhyme or reason. Things we've picked up from our parents or from previous experiences. Like that day when my car would not lock, even though the lights flashed and I heard the "beep" to indicate it was locked.

      God bless, Mevely.

      Delete
  3. I've pressed harder on computer keys when they stop working and it never works. Why I do that, I don't know. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I normally hit my computer hard on the side, like I do the TV, when it's not working properly. One day the computer fell to the ground. Computers may be good at many things but are useless at boxing.

      God bless, Bill.

      Delete
  4. During the beginning of Covid the newspapers were filled with stories about washing your canned goods (and even quarantining them for a while). Thankfully, those ideas were eventually refuted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I remember the quarantining for a while. We used to ask visitors to wait in a room and not speak to them for three days. It cost us a fortune feeding them meanwhile.

      God bless, Kathy.

      Delete
  5. Toilet paper goes over not under, Victor. When my mom was still with us, we used to re-do her toilet paper as she always had the rolls going under. I'm sure that drove her nuts, poor thing! I don't rotate the dishes, but I will rotate the underwear in my drawer. Keeps from wearing them out too quickly!
    Now you have my quirks!
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The toilet paper thing has been a debate for ages. I wonder what people argued about before toilet paper was invented?

      Keep smiling Martha. God bless you.

      Delete
  6. I have Fiestaware dishes in 6 colors and each day pick a different color.
    Our TP goes over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea to have a different colour each day - depending on one's mood.

      God bless, Happyone.

      Delete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.