Monday 10 July 2023

To sleep, perchance to Blog about it

 

I could not get to sleep last night. So I eased myself slowly to the very edge of the bed and soon dropped off.

Research shows that where you sleep is in itself conducive to a good night's sleep. I don't like sleeping on a bicycle as I keep falling off. Much better to sleep in a car. Although the difficulty with this is that I wake up suddenly and discover I have missed my exit on the highway, and have to drive to the next one and turn back. Also, the person I'm sleeping with has rolled our of bed when I took that corner too sharp.

The position one sleeps also has an effect on one's nightly performance or lack of it. Some people like to sleep in a North/South position, whereas others prefer an East/West position to be in alignment with the Earth's rotational movement. I find that hanging upside down from a hammock can be perilous as one can fall off and hit one's head on the floor. Similarly, sleeping on a trampoline would make you or your partner hit the roof.

Who you sleep with can also be very important. Some people like to sleep with their pets for companionship and contentment. I did that once. The next morning the bed was soaking wet and my goldfish had died.

When you sleep is also important. Traditionally people tend to sleep at night. But this is not always possible for everyone, especially people who work at night and it is their means of earning a living. Some people like to nap for an hour or so in the afternoon especially when watching programs like Downton Abbey on TV. Others manage to sleep at any time of day and night. I once fell asleep and dreamt I was making a speech at a business meeting at work. When I woke up I discovered that I was!

The duration and quality of one's dreams depends on one's affluence and prosperity in life. Most people dream for a few seconds in monochrome, black and white, images. I dream in full colour, in stereo surround sound and for the duration of the whole film that's on TV at the time. When I wake up I find that I cannot even afford my dreams.

Sometimes I even dream with subtitles/closed captions inscriptions at the bottom of my eyelids. But then wake up suddenly by my wife complaining about how I've behaved in her dreams.


19 comments:

  1. ...I never got the hang of sleeping on a bicycle either!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too funny.
      www.rsrue.blogspot.com

      Delete
    2. I keep falling off!

      God bless, Tom and R

      Delete
  2. I like dreaming. (Isn't that a song?) These days I get my best rest "pre-sleeping" on the sofa. And in the event I fall, it's closer to the floor.
    That cartoon still makes me giggle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I was young I was afraid of monsters under the bed. So my dad cut the legs off the bed!

      Glad you like the cartoon - call again tomorrow and ... ... ...

      God bless, Mevely.

      Delete
    2. Mevely, when I can't sleep at night my go-to is the couch in the living room.

      Delete
    3. I would prefer the kitchen, Kathy.

      God bless.

      Delete
  3. Whoops ... I disappeared again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Every now and then, I have a dream that I'm driving backwards and then the speed increases. I never got in to an accident though. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's really strange, Bill. I wonder what such a dream means.

      God bless always.

      Delete
  5. As I've gotten older, Victor, I'm finding that a brief nap in the late morning or after lunch is so helpful in rejuvenating my energy levels. I also, luckily, sleep pretty well at night, but my dreams aren't as crazy as yours!
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find the best place to sleep is in front of the TV. There's rarely anything good on these days. I was asked the other day "what's on TV?" I replied, "Dust!"

      Then I got the silent treatment and no cooked meal.

      God bless, Martha.

      Delete
  6. When I watch TV I have to knit or do something else or I doze off.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You might remind your wife at least you still love her enough after all these years to be in her dreams and not some other woman's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a nice thing to say, Mimi. Thank you.

      God bless you.

      Delete
  8. I think I laughed more than I should.

    ReplyDelete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.