Sunday 23 July 2023

Love your enemies ... really?

 

"But I say to you who hear, love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. Whoever hits you on the cheek, offer him the other also; and whoever takes away your coat, do not withhold your shirt from him either. Give to everyone who asks of you, and whoever takes away what is yours, do not demand it back. Treat others the same way you want them to treat you." Luke 6:27 onwards.

Oh come on Jesus ... surely you don't mean that literally? If God wants us to love everyone, then why has He made some people so unlovable? I've known some really rotten tomatoes in my life. Am I supposed to love them regardless and let them walk all over me? 

Like a boss I had once. He was a real autocratic dictator who managed by fear. What is more, he was ignorant and stupid. He got there at the top because of who he knew not what he knew. He was often wrong in his decisions which wasted time and money. I remember, using all my reserves of patience, explaining why his plan for something would not work and he used stubborn superiority in rank to do it his way.

Am I supposed to love him? And turn the other cheek?  

Let's be clear about what Jesus is teaching here. He is not saying that we should allow other people to control us or abuse us in any way. If someone is in an abusive violent marriage, or in a difficult situation at work or in life in general, God is not telling us to accept it willingly and suffer it gladly. As Christians we often misunderstand the concept of suffering.

“I came that they may have life, and have it abundantly” John 10:10

There are many people in this world suffering in one way or other by tyrannical bosses, spouses, offspring, siblings, leaders, governments and so on. It is our right and duty, responsibility even, to stand up as best we can towards such evil done to us or to our loved ones.

We should not, as best we can within our power and ability, allow others to control our lives. Like a boss, a spouse or family relative. 

By doing nothing, we allow evil to flourish.

As best we can, with love, we should at least try to make evil stop. Often, but not always, it is a matter of just walking away. As in my case; I tried to leave the job to the detriment of my financial situation at the time.

At other times, perhaps with the help of others, we should stand our ground against evil.

But always, whatever we do, it should be done with love ... and prayers.

As the saying goes: "Love the sinner, hate the sin."

NOTE: This is from St. Augustine. His Letter 211 (c. 424) contains the phrase Cum dilectione hominum et odio vitiorum, which translates roughly to “With love for mankind and hatred of sins.”

12 comments:

  1. ...conservative Christians here love to say, "Love the sinner, hate the sin," but I detection insincerity!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is so much hate in the world now, and so much destruction and evil that trying to love others is truly not easy. Avoiding them is helpful, but often not practical. It's all very troubling to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This world will never know peace until it learns to forgive. But do not be troubled, Sandy. Trust in God and pray.

      God bless.

      Delete
  3. A troubling world makes it all the more difficult.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes that's true, Bill; but we should try to love one another.

      God bless you.

      Delete
  4. As you know, this one of Jesus' commandments is what I find hardest to digest. I try to remember and ask God to forgive them -- and while He's at it, ease my own heartache.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We will probably never understand God's forgiveness, Mevely. We can't forgive like Him or love others like Him; because we are not God. We are not like God.

      But we can pray, "Forgive them and love them God where I cannot."

      God bless you always, Mevely.

      Delete
  5. I really appreciated your explanation of this commandment, too, Victor. It's the hardest one for me to follow.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is perhaps the hardest commandment, Martha. I have difficulty forgiving too, never mind loving others who have been really hurtful and evil. But we should try ...

      And the good news is that God understands ... and forgives our weaknesses.

      God bless, my friend.

      Delete
  6. At a day of reflection I went to yesterday we talked unilateral forgiveness...praying for someone that annoys or irritates us.

    ReplyDelete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.