Sunday 2 July 2023

Selfish God?

 

Matthew 10:37-42

"Whoever loves father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; and whoever loves son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me; and whoever does not take up the cross and follow me is not worthy of me. Those who find their life will lose it, and those who lose their life for my sake will find it. Whoever welcomes you welcomes me, and whoever welcomes me welcomes the one who sent me. Whoever welcomes a prophet in the name of a prophet will receive a prophet's reward; and whoever welcomes a righteous person in the name of a righteous person will receive the reward of the righteous; and whoever gives even a cup of cold water to one of these little ones in the name of a disciple, truly I tell you, none of these will lose their reward."

On first reading, this looks as if God, or Jesus, is selfish and demands that we love Him more than anyone or anything else. 

But I don't think this is what Jesus meant here. Remember, He was talking to His contemporaries who understood what He was saying, and the nuances and figures of speech of the time.

I think what Jesus is teaching here is that love of parents, offspring, or even life itself is a sacred mission as created by God. It is our duty, obligation even, to love our parents, spouses, children and "neighbours". 

Remember, "Honour your father and mother" and "Thou shalt not commit adultery" as well as "A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another."

Jesus is saying here that our whole purpose in life is to do as God commands us, and this includes loving other people on the same level of importance as loving God, because He commanded so. Even to the point of loving our own life as a dedicated service to God's will, not as a selfish possession of our own

If you welcome, (love), someone as you welcome Jesus then you are welcoming God in your life. But if you welcome, (love), a prophet just because he is a prophet, then you're welcoming just another man.

We should love other people with the same power and intensity as Jesus has loved us. Difficult as this might be; we should at least try our best.

The same applies for our lives. Our lives are a gift from God and we should love, (dedicate), our lives to the service of God, our parents, spouses, children and neighbours. And those who perhaps do not have spouses or offspring or family should dedicate their lives to those less fortunate, less able, less blessed than them. This is done through voluntary service, charity work, and so many other causes.

" ... whoever gives even a cup of cold water to one of these little ones in the name of a disciple, truly I tell you, none of these will lose their reward."

When Jesus was on earth, He lived His life in service for others. He even died for others. What He is asking us here is not to love our lives for ourselves - that is for our own good, our own pleasure, our selfish needs. But to love our lives lived in service for others. And also, to love others in the same way as He has loved us.

FATHER FRANCIS MAPLE - WEBSITE
 
 I watch the sunrise
Lighting the sky
Casting its shadows near
And on this morning
Bright though it be
I feel those shadows
Near me
 
But you are always close to me
Following all my ways
May I be always close to you
Following all your ways, Lord
 
I watch the sunlight
Shine through the clouds
Warming the earth below
And at the mid-day
Life seems to say
I feel your brightness
Near me
 
For you are always close to me
Following all my ways
May I be always close to you
Following all your ways, Lord
 
I watch the sunset fading away
Lighting the clouds with sleep
And as the evening closes its eyes
I feel your brightness near me
 
For you are always close to me
Following all my ways
May I be always close to you
Following all your ways, Lord
 
I watch the moonlight
Guarding the night
Waiting 'til morning comes
The air is silent
Earth is at rest
Only your peace is near me
 
Yes, you are always close to me
Following all my ways
May I be always close to you
Following all your ways, Lord
 
Yes, you are always close to me
Following all my ways
May I be always close to you
Following all your ways, Lord

19 comments:

  1. Hi Victor, I believe that Jesus was speaking here about loving the Word of God more than anything and anyone else, as He was the Word of God made flesh. So when He said the word 'me' He meant the Word . God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...I try to watch the sunrise too, but the smoke caused by climate change is making it difficult.

    ReplyDelete
  3. God wants us to put Him first in our lives. When we do that everything seems to fall in place. At least it does for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I still sleeping at sunrise but I do sunsets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beautiful skies at sunrise and sunset.

      God bless, Bill.

      Delete
  5. If we love God first, then every other kind of love falls right into place, Victor. Loved this reflection! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Martha. Yes, that is what Jesus is teaching here.

      God bless always.

      Delete
  6. I don't think God is selfish in the slightest. I like to imagine Him inviting our love, not demanding.
    Wonderful video! I don't recall having heard it before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed you are right, Mevely. God loved us first and He invites us to love Him in return.

      I'm so pleased you liked this hymn. God bless you and yours.

      Delete
  7. No, it's not selfish of Him. He created us, of course we should love Him most and out of that love, pour love into the lives of others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You said it well, Mimi. Thank you.

      God bless you and your family.

      Delete
  8. Did you ever go on an airplane and they tell you in the event of pressure loss to put on your mask before you put the mask of your child next to you? You cannot help the child without properly being oriented. Jesus wants you to love Him first because without loving Him you cannot love anyone else properly. So no, He is not being selfish. He is thinking of the best for you and your loved ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is very well put, Manny. Yes, you are right. I never thought it this way.

      It's nice to see you visiting here again. God bless you and your family.

      Delete
    2. I wish I could do it more often. The problem is I just forget in the hustle and bustle of things I do. It's not intentional.

      Delete
  9. I really loved that Fr. Maple song. It had a calming effect.

    ReplyDelete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.