Wednesday 28 February 2024

The difficult questions

 

Every so often I like to ask myself some difficult questions. Then I answer them to myself. Then I think about my answers and wonder if I answered them correctly.

OK ... do you want to play? Let's share these questions that come to mind every now and then.

If you were to die today are you sure, 100%, that you will go to Heaven?

Why? Why are you sure, or not sure?

If you are sure you'll get to Heaven what makes you so certain? Don't come up with stock phrases like because God loves me, Jesus died for me, because I am a good Christian and so on. If God asks you, and He might, "Why do you want to come into Heaven?" what will you tell Him? No fibbing now; He knows what's on your mind, "Why do you want to come into Heaven?"

Difficult questions don't you think? Why do we want to go to Heaven? Is it because we're afraid of the other place? Saying that "we love God and Jesus" are superfluous meaningless answers. 

Is loving God and Jesus in itself enough to get us into Heaven?

Or should we do something else? How can we be good Christians? Is it by what we do? By good works?

Let's face it. There is nothing we can do that God needs from us. He will not be found wanting or lacking in any way if we do not do certain things. He is omnipotent, has always been in existence as a spirit, and all knowing Creator. He does not need anything from us. No amount of prayers, lit candles, flowers, good works or anything else will make Him greater, better, richer, happier than what He already is. He does not need us in that sense of us giving Him something in order to enter Heaven. 

Good works will not earn us brownie points and a star to get us in Heaven. But ... and this bit is important ...  if we are to live like Christ and to follow His example then we will do good works. Just like He did. Every time He met someone in need He stopped and treated that individual as an important person and spent time with him and responded to his needs.

Can we honestly say we do the same every time? Every time? How about that person you met the other day and did nothing to help?

See the subtle difference? Good works will not make us enter Heaven; but if we are to copy Christ's examples we will do good works. That's what will differentiate us between the sheep and the goats when Christ judges us.

And of course we need Faith. We need to believe because we believe in honest (best we can manage) Faith; not because we're afraid of going to the other place.  

Heaven is open for everyone. But no one goes to Heaven against their will. No one is forced there.

As for the other place, God does not send people there. They choose to go there by their behaviour, attitude, stubbornness, defiance and enmity of God.     

So there you have it. Difficult questions. Why should I be the only one struggling with them? Help me out with some answers because I think being a Christian is very difficult. 

Do you find being a Christian easy going?

22 comments:

  1. ...I have a number of Amish friend and they don't believe that heaven is assured, but they are hopeful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It may not be assured, but the road map is well written and available to all.

      God bless, Tom.

      Delete
  2. Yes. How do I know? I know it in my knower. That is to say I am assured by the Holy Spirit. Loving God, or saying you do, or telling me you love Jesus is not enough. We are called to repent and be changed. We must embrace God. It's not easy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Sandi. Just saying one loves God and Jesus is not enough. What God and Jesus expect is that we "live" like Jesus. His love for all should be reflected in the way we live.

      "Living the Word" - the title of my next book still in production.

      God bless.

      Delete
  3. Difficult, indeed!
    Does it sound boastful to say I'm 100% sure? Complacent, even?
    Because I want to see my loved ones again -- happy and whole?
    Because He loved us first?
    I'm trying every day to be a better person, but too often I fall on my face.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed Mevely, God loved us first and He wants all of us to return to Him in Heaven. We don't "earn" our way to Heaven by our deeds and good works, but we lose our entry by our behaviour and attitudes.

      God bless always.

      Delete
  4. If we love Jesus, we can't help but do good things for others in need, but those aren't brownie points we are earning. We are learning/practicing to be more like our Savior.
    Thanks for the difficult questions, Victor!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Martha. Well said. Many people confuse good works as a passport to Heaven.

      God bless always my friend.

      Delete
  5. Yes, I know I'm going to heaven. Not because of anything I can do but by the grace of God. Jesus loved me and all of us so much that he died on the cross for the sins of the world and rose again. I have admitted I am a sinner, asked Jesus to forgive my sins and come into my life. Jesus is number one in my life. Now HE promises me a place in heaven. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds simple; but is it? Did Jesus die for everyone including those who deny Him and don't love Him? Yes. So ... are they also saved by grace?

      God bless, Happyone.

      Delete
    2. Yes, He did die for Everyone but not everyone will accept Him. We all have a choice. You are saved by grace ONLY if you accept the free gift.

      Delete
    3. Well said, Happyone.

      God bless you.

      Delete
  6. All I can do is trust that God knows what is best for me in the end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen Annie.

      It's nice to see you visiting here. Call again soon and often and invite your friends.

      God bless.

      Delete
  7. I know I will eventually get into Heaven, but because I'm human I know that I will spend some time in Purgatory first.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Victor, Heaven is the only place I want to go to when I leave this earth. It is a place that I believe I was taken to in my NDE. To me that place was home and this earth is a dream. I believe we have to learn God's ways and thoughts while we are growing in the Lord, and endeavour to act upon the Word spoken to us. God is love and He understands we are flesh. That is why we have to take every thought captive and bring it into obedience to His Word. The spiritual enemy is cunning and we have to do our best to cast him out of our mind. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that the devil is always ready to lead us astray.

      God bless, Brenda.

      Delete
  9. He promised, and He is faithful to His promises, whoever confesses the Son, the Son will not lose.

    The Rock upon which I build my faith is not in me, but is in the faithfulness of God.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Rejoice that your names are written in the heavens.
    I know I'll go to heaven because my Saviour is there already, and my name is written there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen David. Indeed, He looks forward to our return home to God our Creator.

      God bless.

      Delete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.