Monday 14 December 2020

It's a wonderful life

 

I've just seen It's A Wonderful Life on TV. Well, the end bit of it. I have never seen this film all the way through. Always the end bit. Why is it that TV companies start this film at a time I do not know about?

Can you imagine what your life would have been like if it was not this life?

You are all probably married, or not. With children and grand-children. Or not. Doing this job, or that. Or not. You are living your lives now. But how would it have been if it was a different life?

In a different life I would probably have been working in a zoo rather than in management in a multi-national.

I've always loved animals, although they have not always loved me. 

Even at work in management we have animals. Plenty of rats around here I tell you. And snakes who slide under a door without opening it. Or try to climb the greasy pole of success.

But I like real animals. I remember kissing a hedgehog once. One of the spiny needles broke off and stuck on my lips. I ran to the vet. He took the needle off my lip and told me it is a frog I am supposed to kiss. I did not get a princess. Only an infection on my lip!

I like all sorts of animals. I like horses. I spent a fortune donating money for sick horses. Mind you, I did not know they were sick when I bet on them to win the race.

I like fish too. I remember having a goldfish called Thumper because he thumped his tail against the glass tank whenever I fed him. When he died I had him on toast for breakfast. Now that's real love that is.

I remember helping a bee once. I found her lying on the ground almost dying. I sprinkled a few grains of sugar next to it and she ate a bit. Apparently she'd gone on strike and the Queen Bee fired her from the hive. She had complained that it is pointless working hard gathering honey from all the flowers and then a man with a net on his head and a smoke machine comes and takes all the honey away. The argument gained momentum with the other bees so the Queen Bee fired their leader out of the colony. She ate some of the sprinkled sugar and died. Apparently, you should never give tired bees sugar. It is bad for them. I read it afterwards that I had unknowingly killed a bee. 

I would have liked to be a lion whisperer like my uncle. He finally fulfilled his ambition minutes before he died!

Yes, in a different life I would have been in a zoo. Probably shuffling elephants' droppings rather than shuffling papers in the office.

But I like my present life. Mundane as it is. 

Why is it that practicing playing the flute involves the same three or four notes over and over again until I am out of my mind? Who invented the stupid instrument anyway? What is the point of the flute?

Why is it that cats do their business in a litter tray that needs to be cleaned and not in a neighbour's garden where I don't have to deal with it?

Why is it that the dog poops in the garden and I have to clear it up, and not him?

Why is it that I leave the trash bin neatly outside my house, yet when the trash people empty it they leave it just anywhere yards away from my house?

Why is it in TV adverts every family is young and happy just because they bought something inane like toothpaste, or potato chips, or something equally stupid? Real life isn't like that.

Why is it that TV companies always broadcast It's A Wonderful Life from the middle of the film?

Would my life have been better in a zoo? Probably not.

How would your life have been different if it was not as it is today?

25 comments:

  1. For the most part I'm happy with my life as it is, but it's interesting to ponder on how it would be different if I had opted for different choices along the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always have difficulties with choices, Kathy. Smooth peanut butter; or crunchy?

      God bless.

      Delete
  2. ...the film was loosely based in Seneca Falls, NY:

    https://backroadstraveller.blogspot.com/2016/12/its-wonderful-life.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tom. I'll visit the link soon.

      God bless.

      Delete
  3. Victor you have given this much to much thought but I enjoy reading what you are thinking and wouldn't try to change your thoughts in anyway.
    Thank you for just being you ☕🎅❄🎄
    God's Blessings 💮

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Being me means cleaning the litter tray and picking up dog poop.

      God bless, Jan.

      Delete
  4. OK ... I'll admit that I've never seen It's a Wonderful Life.

    But I still do love Christmas anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What you need to do, Linda; is check when TV is broadcasting it, then switch on half way through the film. Alternatively, buy the book and read the last few pages.

      God bless.

      Delete
  5. We never cared much for that movie but we agree, life can be a zoo...and sometimes a jungle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, Brian. My thoughts exactly. I said exactly the same thing to a horse the other day and he snorted "Pfffft !!!!"

      God bless.

      Delete
  6. It's a Wonderful Life is one of my favorite Christmas movies, Victor. You REALLY need to try to see it from beginning to end - it will make you appreciate so much more the life that God has given you, though I think you already do. :)
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read about the story in Wikipedia; but somehow never got the film from the start. James Stewart is a wonderful actor.

      You are right, God has given us a wonderful life. When I look back I know He helped me many times.

      God bless, Martha.

      Delete
  7. Many a time I fantasized how my life would have been, had I not done this or that. But like the 50's television show of the same name, I've concluded "Father Knows Best."

    Maybe this year I'll make it a point to finally watch "Wonderful Life."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed, God our Father knows best. And He has been with us every step of the way. He has helped me through many choices in life.

      God bless you, Mevely.

      Delete
  8. We own a copy of It's a Wonderful Life so don't have your problem! :) I love that movie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you watch the video from the beginning, or from the middle, Happyone?

      Keep smiling. God bless.

      Delete
  9. Amazing! Eddie and I were only talking about this movie over the weekend!

    Have a good week - they certainly seem to be whizzing by.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was on British TV last week. I caught the film from the end when James Stewart was being shown how his life affected other people.

      Best wishes, Jan. God bless.

      Delete
  10. That's my favorite holiday movie, I must have watched ita dozen times through the years. I love James Steward. I'm happy being me as I am and I've been me for many years. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, James Stewart is a great actor. And I too, love being me, Bill.

      God bless you always my friend.

      Delete
  11. Dearest Victor,
    Guess that I would not want to live my life any other way and the same for not wanting to live it over again... Some people watch movies like that; over and over again.
    You are so damn right about the stupid adverts on TV. Always about young couples and they climax about almost anything, even toothpaste!
    Animals are fun and straight forward, if they don't like you, they just bite you... or scratch you.
    Yeah, the cleaning up after oneself is obviously not meant for dogs. Why then do they call it dog days?!
    Oh, last night I finished your book; great reading and no doubt some other people (2) will enjoy the other ones.
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mariette for letting me know that you liked my book, Man And God. I do hope it helps some people, and thank you for handing copies to other people.

      You are right, the world has become materialistic and false; just like the TV adverts. People get excited about the latest fashion, be it perfume, clothing or food.

      God bless you and your family always, my friend.

      Delete
  12. Sometimes i am grateful The A-mighty doesn't tell us what would have happened if.

    ReplyDelete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.