Sunday 30 April 2023

The Lord is my shepherd

 

The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.
He maketh me to lie down in green pastures;
He leadeth me beside the still waters.
He restoreth my soul;
He leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for His name’s sake.

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil; for Thou art with me.
Thy rod and Thy staff they comfort me.
Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies;
Thou anointest my head with oil;
my cup runneth over.

Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life;
and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.

Psalm 23. 

In the Gospel of John Chapter 10 Jesus says several times "I am the gate".

In Chapter 10 - 9 He says "I am the gate. Those who come in by me will be saved; they will come in and go out and find pasture."

This seems strange at first. We can understand when Jesus says "I am the Way" or "I am the Good Shepherd"; but gate? What does all that mean?

To understand this we need to visualise how a sheep pen at the times of Christ looked like. It was a circular or square enclosure built out of stone, wooden fencing or just hedges. And it had an opening through which sheep got in and out.

But shepherds in those days were poor people. They certainly would not have the money to build gates at the opening of the pen. They stayed "watching their flocks by night" with their sheep.

The pen looked something like the photo above.

And the shepherd would lie across the opening, sleeping with his sheep, and making sure that none would get out during the night. Also protecting them from wolves or other predators.

So, the shepherd was in fact the gate.

That's what Jesus meant when He said He is the gate.

He protects us from evil and stops us from going astray.

22 comments:

  1. ...gates can keep thing in or out. Today they too often keep those considered undesirable out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a gate in my front garden to keep mosquitoes out.

      God bless, Tom.

      Delete
    2. ...and how is it working?

      Delete
    3. They are flying in over the fence!

      God bless.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a comforting verse -- and tone of voice. As ever, thank you for blessing me today. (Still praying!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your prayers, Mevely. Much appreciated.

      We are (or should be) for each other helping as best we can. We are all a gift to each other, by the grace of God.

      God bless you my friend.

      Delete
  4. I'm sure glad Jesus is my shepherd. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for your sheep pen explanation. During the homily today I could better visualize what the priest was talking about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kathy. Glad to be of help.

      God bless you.

      Delete
  6. As always, Victor, this was most instructive. Thank you! Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your explanation here, Victor; it makes perfect sense!
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanx Martha. That's what Jesus meant by "I am the gate".

      God bless.

      Delete
  8. Thanks so much for explaining the gate, Victor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanx Bill. Couldn't comment on your Blog earlier. I was locked out.

      God bless.

      Delete
  9. Psalm 23, definitely one of the most well-known, and its message is so often comforting to many.

    Thank you for your explanation.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.