Monday 25 September 2023

Art Series - Titian - Paintings

 

SANDI - a reader of this Blog, suggested I research and write about Titian in this series about Art. You can visit Sandi HERE.

Tiziano Vecelli or Tiziano Vecellio, or Titian in English, was born somewhere between 1488 and 1490 (must have been a long pregnancy!) and died on 27 August 1576.

You can see above his self portray. Considering it is in profile, he must have had a cricked neck turning round every few minutes to look himself in the mirror. Although some art experts believe he got a friend to take a Polaroid photo and he painted from that. This theory is disputed by other camera manufacturers.

He was very versatile painting portraits, landscape backgrounds and mythological and religious subjects and was famous for his use of colour - no black and white monochromes from good old Titian. It is said that he preferred to paint in red. This is because the paint was cheaper than any other colour - 53 cents a can compared to 56 cents for other colours.

Another peculiarity of Titian is that he liked to paint round about 3 o'clock.

Here's a painting of his known as "The Man with a Quilted Sleeve" which he completed in 1509 - the painting that is, not the sleeve. Just after 3 o'clock.

And here's another Titian painted in 1515 (quarter past three) known as "Portrait d'une Femme à sa Toilette"; which does not mean a woman in the toilet, but in English has been translated as "Woman with a Mirror".

This next painting was completed a little later in 1550 (ten to four). It is entitled "Venus and Organist and Little Dog". 

A most intriguing scene indeed. Venus has just finished the housework and wants to relax after a long day of cleaning, cooking and doing the washing up. 

She wants to listen to some music, so she takes all her clothes off and lies on the bed and calls in one of her minions and asks him to play the piano.

As you can see, the pianist is somewhat distracted and, because he knows the tune to "how much is that doggie in the window" by heart, he decides to take a swift look round for further inspiration whilst the lady is occupied with the dog.

The dog yaps to warn the lady, whereupon she casually says to the man, "Keep your eyes on your organ please. And whilst you're at it, would you mind drawing the curtains. I don't want anyone outside to see my behind!"

Further suggestions from my readers for artists to be researched and posted here are welcome.

24 comments:

  1. The photos here don't do justice to the deep red. Or maybe it's my screen! Thank you for the post about Titian.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Sandi, the photos don't do justice to the red colour; although I was not looking at the red.

      God bless.

      Delete
  2. I already knew to come to your blog for religion and humor. Now I can also get educated!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot of people who visit here end up thinking "That'll teach me ..."

      It's great to have you here Kathy. Many thanx and God bless.

      Delete
  3. thanks for the art history. Now I can say I know an art efficiencier (I just created a word) I can't even pronounce it. Always good to visit here, it always increases my knowledge, well sometimes it only increases my whatever...
    But from this side thinking of you and my girl just said I had to get her your latest book entitled by her favorite scripture to 'seek ye first.'
    Sherry & jack thanks for the prayers, still needed........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Sherry, for buying my book "Seek Ye First The Kingdom of God". Please let me know what you think of it. And thank you Jack for your kindness to me. Please let me know if there's any art of paintings you wish me to research and write about here.

      Praying for you all. God bless.

      Delete
  4. Yet another excellent example of history with a twist - for humor, of course! Thanks for the chuckles, Victor!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The thing is, Martha; that last painting is so bizzare. What is it meant to portray? A nude on a bed and a musician looking back at her and her dog, with a window wide open behind her. What is Titian saying here? So ... my sense of humour takes over.

      God bless, my friend.

      Delete
  5. Titian's timely art, how nice. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanx, Bill. Titian is so confusing with his last painting above.

      God bless.

      Delete
  6. A wise man once said, "Every day's a school day." -- and you do it so well! French is so difficult (for me) to understand. I was already an adult when I realized Toilette didn't refer to one's household plumbing.

    PS - Your book was delivered not an hour ago!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you, Mevely for buying my latest book "Seek Ye First The Kingdom of God". I hope you enjoy it. Please let me know what you think of it.

      As for "Toilette" ... I wanted to get my wife some eau de toilette for her birthday; but the seat fell on my head!!!

      Keep smiling, and may God bless you always.

      Delete
  7. Well, darn it! Blogger just ate my comment.
    I do love your interpretations of history -- "Every day is a school day." And you do it so well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found it and posted it above.

      God bless you, Mevely.

      Delete
  8. Fun to read your interpretations. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Victor, I would say the same as Tom - not really my style. I have never understood why people would paint nudes. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've researched this: people painted nudes because there was an excess of nude coloured paint.

      God bless, Brenda.

      Delete
  10. I like your little commentary with the pictures :) I would not say that I ever looked at the time I finished creating something and made a note of it :) although most of mine are done around 3 pm also :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes Connie ... Titian had a luminous sundial so he could tell the time at night when there was no sun.

      God bless you.

      Delete
  11. Fascinating facts, especially about the time factor.

    I'm particularly partial to Monet's works.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll research Monet and try to write something about him next week, Mimi.

      God bless.

      Delete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.