Friday 10 May 2024

Are you observant?

 

Are you observant? Would you make a good detective noticing what people say or do? If you were to witness an incident, a car accident, or a street mugging, would you be able to remember what happened and relate it accurately?

Years ago I tried an experiment to see if people were generally observant.

I was at a business conference. They divided us in groups of 12 people. Each group was sent to a room to discuss a business proposition and after a short period to come back and make a presentation. They were then given more information and they had to go to the room and discuss again and return with their proposal.

All in all, my group of the same 12 people went to the room for discussions about seven times during that day. Discussion, then presentation, then discussions etc. ... seven times.

Each time we went back to our room I hid in the bathroom for a few moments and changed my tie. I had brought about a dozen ties in my briefcase and changed ties at each opportunity ... red one, blue, yellow stripes and so on.

Would you believe it, no one noticed. The same eleven people in my group met in that room seven times, that is seven separate ties, and no one noticed. Or no one said it was a different tie I was wearing.

What would it take for them to notice? I thought.

Should I take my shirt off and come in wearing a flamboyant tie? Would they have noticed then?

Would you have noticed the change of ties had you been there?

Oh Yeah ???

Well, I bet you did not notice that I changed ties six times whilst writing this article and that I am wearing my pyjamas!!!

You're as bad at observing as those people in my group.

17 comments:

  1. ...I'm convinced that many people go through life and never notice the things that surround them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aha ... and you did not notice I am not wearing socks. I lost the grey one with a big hole in the toe area.

      God bless, Tom.

      Delete
  2. That was an interesting experiment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I noticed. I'd rather not explain how.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm intrigued, Sandi. I looked behind my PC monitor and you were not there. I'm still searching the whole house for you.

      God bless.

      Delete
  4. These sorts of social experiments fascinate me. Yet -- unlike my friend Sandra (who could probably find work as a police sketch artist) -- I'm unconsciously guilty.
    Years ago I shared little selective attention video about that very thing. Maybe you've seen it? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJG698U2Mvo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mevely; no ... I did not see the video before. I found it interesting, but then ... I also missed the obvious in this video:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rs2z7OA3XKI

      God bless you.

      Delete
  5. I knew you were wearing pajamas! And I knew you changed ties, but why didn't you wear shoes?? I am puzzled..Take care we always enjoy the smiles, You should try it sometimes....
    from this side...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't wear shoes at home, Jack. Just slippers.

      It's good to smile ... and be observant too. May God bless you, Sherry and family.

      Delete
  6. Good sense of humor. 😁 In my tenure on this planet it never fails to amaze me how much we miss through inattention what is happening around us. It seems when our focus is intense all else is invisible. I am guilty as charged.
    Blessings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to see you here again Irish Cherokee. I agree with you about our inattention. May I invite you to watch the video posted by Mevely above.

      God bless.

      Delete
  7. We often think we are observant when our eyes and minds are elsewhere. Being consciously present with others in the moment can take lots of effort.
    Blessings, Victor! Oh, do you still wear those ties? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I still have those ties, but these days I only wear one tie a day. No more testing peoples' powers of observation. You are right, though. It is very difficult to concentrate on more than one thing at a time.

      I am praying for Danny; hoping he is doing well.

      God bless you and your family, Martha.

      Delete
  8. I'm not so observant and may not have noticed. I am also reluctant to say anything just in case I was wrong!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess most of us are like that, Mimi.

      God bless you.

      Delete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.