Wednesday 8 May 2024

Allo ... Allo ...

 

Years ago, when I worked in London, I had a cell-phone with two numbers. One for personal calls and one for business ones. The ring-tones were different so when the phone rang I could tell if the caller was personal or a business call. Also, when I left my office in London, all my business calls were transferred automatically to my cell-phone so I was available 24/7 in case something important needed my attention.

In those days, (and sometimes even now), when in  a good mood, I like to answer my personal calls in a foreign accent - French, Italian or whatever.

I was on a train heading North and I had a business call. Impetuously, and without thinking, I answered the call in a French accent.

"Allo ..." I said, "who eez eet zat eez zee speaking?"

Unfortunately, and coincidentally, it was a French client. We did business all over the world!

"Who eez zees?" asked the French female voice.

"Eet eez mee," I answered not realising it was a business call and I should act more grown up.

"Are you zee taking zee mockery of my French accent?" she asked.

"Non ... pas du tout," I said, "I spoke weez zee French accent first, so eet eez you who eez taking zee mockery of me!" I had to continue the pretence; I could hardly admit to a potential client that I was deliberately speaking in an accent. "Who eez eet you are?" I asked still in character. (Cinema producers please note - I am available for various roles.)

"Eet eez Evette!" she replied.

"A vet?" I asked, "eet eez interesting to be a vet, n'est-ce pas?"

"I am not a vet," she said angrily, "I work with Anette!"

"I see ..." I continued, whilst the other train passengers were getting more interested in my conversation, so now I had to continue in French, "I see ... a vet weez a net ... eez zat to catch zee butterflies or zee fish?

"Not zee fish ..." she said, "Anette eez zee woman."

"Je comprends," I said, "a woman fish, over ere in zee England wee call zem mermaids! You are a vet and you 'ave zee mermaid. Zees eez veree amazing!"

She hung up on me. Some clients are very rude don't you think? I mean ... I was trying "zee" best to help her.

But the story does not end there. A few moments later the phone rang again. It was another business  call; so I answered it politely in my normal English accent. The other passengers were amazed at how quickly I integrated into society and got an English accent.

16 comments:

  1. ...thanks for the chuckles, keep laughing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A chuckle a day keeps the doctor away. Garlic is more effective to keep everyone away.

      God bless, Tom.

      Delete
  2. Mermaids .... hahahaha! No wonder the other passengers were spellbound.
    I no longer need it, but love the idea of having two separate phone numbers on the same cell. (Yes, I looked ... I thought for a minute you were fooling us.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's true, Mevely. I still have a cell-phone with two separate numbers and two ring-tones. One for mermaids to phone me and one for sardines.

      God bless you.

      Delete
  3. I sure did need the laughs today, Victor. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Praying you and Danny are OK, Martha.

      God bless.

      Delete
  4. lol.
    www.rsrue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Without a doubt, you know how to have fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed, Barbara. Why not invite your friends to join us here and enjoy the fun too. Plenty of humourous articles here.

      God bless always.

      Delete
  6. Love it my friend, sometimes your wit gets the best of you... Thanks for the smiles, However I do wish I had learned to be bi-lingual in my youth. I tried in my later years and had NO success........
    The best to you from this side.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was fortunate to be brought up in a French speaking school which also taught Italian as a language.

      My humour, however, has no language. I hope it's universal.

      God bless you and Sherry and family, Jack.

      Delete
  7. French? I bet she talked about you with her friends. You did a great job. thecontempaltivecat here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope she thought she dialled Le Wrong Numero!

      God bless, Susan.

      Delete
  8. You certainly pulled a fast one that time!

    ReplyDelete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.