Monday, 14 September 2026

Forgiveness

 

Then Peter came to Jesus and asked, “Lord, if my brother keeps on sinning against me, how many times do I have to forgive him? Seven times?”

“No, not seven times,” answered Jesus, “but seventy times seven ..." Matthew 18:21 onwards.

By my calculations this makes 490 times. I've forgiven someone 489 times; so they're getting very close to a thump on the head!  

Seriously though, Jesus is teaching us here to forgive any wrongdoings against us time and again. But what is forgiveness?

It is to accept the wrongdoing done to us and not to seek any revenge, retribution, punishment, pay-back of any ill-will against the one who hurt us. To just let him go freely. Whether he has asked for forgiveness or not. Whether he cares for our forgiveness or not. Just let him go and in your heart truly forgive him.

This does not necessarily mean reconciliation. There are times when reconciliation is not possible, nor advisable. Just let the person go freely in peace.

Also, this does not mean that the hurt will go away. Often the hurt will remain with you. The slightest memory, and the pain and the hurt of the wrongdoing done to you will return. Use this as a trigger to forgive once again. Whenever Jesus sees the wounds in His hands, feet and side He forgives once again. Be like Jesus.

When the bad memories come back pray for the one who hurt you. You cannot possible hate anyone you pray for.

And should you hear news or gossip that something bad has happened to the one who has hurt you, do not rejoice at his misfortune. This nullifies all your forgiveness.    

If the person who has hurt you has passed away, He is now in the sight of God and has seen the event in all its facets and his role, and yours, in it. The matter is between him and God now.

If you were in any way guilty in the event, ask God for forgiveness and earnestly repent for your part in it. 

And accept God's forgiveness. Don't keep going back on the events and wonder if you've been forgiven, and feel guilty all over again. By doing so you're insulting God by suggesting He hasn't truly forgiven you.

Now ... have you got a calculator?

16 comments:

  1. Forgiveness is a must, Victor. Wonderfully said here, my friend. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally agree, Victor. You did an excellent job explaining what forgiveness is about. How can we possibly accept God's forgiveness of our sins and have room in our hearts for love, if it's filled with resentments? I believe lack of forgiveness is the major cause of divisions. Peace, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your visit and for your wonderful sermons on your Blog, Reverend.

      I believe this world will never know peace until it learns to forgive.

      God bless you always.

      Delete
  3. Forgiveness can be hard but you have to do it and then move on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It can be hard to forgive but with God's help it is possible.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Forgiveness is my personal Achilles heel ... but your words go a long way in helping ease my stubbornness and foolish pride.
    Not only myself, but I sometimes take others' burdens to heart, whether I know them personally or not. This is why I could never serve on a jury with an impartial heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Mevely, forgiveness can be hard at times; especially when there are daily reminders of the harm done to us. Sometimes the memories makes one want to take back the forgiveness already given.

      God bless you always my friend.

      Delete
  6. Forgiveness can be hard ... but so important.

    Sending good wishes for the new week ahead.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Forgiveness is a superpower, in one way, as it takes the supernatural grace of God for us to do it. He will give the grace if we ask.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point; I never saw it as a superpower.

      God bless, Mimi.

      Delete
  8. I liked this. I have to say it is hard to forgive when it is 490 times!
    But I guess God forgives us that many times!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, I hope God forgives us that many times and does not keep count.

      God bless you, Sandie.

      Delete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.