Q - Hello, this is a lovely party isn't it? I am Quentin Fartwell, nice to meet you?
I - Pleased to meet you, I'm Ivor Flatulence; you're not Quentin Fartwell the pharmacist are you?
Q - The very same. The pharmacist on the High Street, the shop just next to Doug M Deep the mortician.
I - Yes I know it well. Just opposite Ken McWind the bagpipes repairer.
Q - The very same ... that's right. And what do you do Ivor?
I - Well ... today I followed our tortoise all the way to the end of the garden, and when it got there I turned it round.
Q - Interesting! I meant what do you do every day.
I - Oh it's the same every day. It takes Gonzales our tortoise all day to reach the end of the garden. When it gets there by the evening I turn it round. It takes it all night to get back home so in the morning I turn it again. It must have walked miles since we got it.
Q - Quite ... Quite ... I meant what do you do as a job?
I - Oh it's quite a job I tell you. Gonzales is slowing down because of his age. And I have to get to him just as he reaches the fence at the end of the garden or the back door of our house when he's coming back. Because when he gets there his head hits the fence or the back door and he continues walking on the spot. I was late one day and he just continued walking whilst standing still and his legs had dug his own grave on the spot.
Q - I understand ...
I - Not like when we had Speedy our pet snail. Now whilst he took longer to reach the fence at the end of the garden, when he got there he crawled underneath it and escaped. We looked everywhere for him. We put notices on all lamp posts asking if people had seen him. We placed adverts in the newspapers. Offered a reward for his return ... But nothing. We reckon he ended up in a French restaurant. He always had a penchant for garlic sauce.
Q - I see ... did you ever have a job as a profession?
I - As a young apprentice I worked at the zoo. I used to pick up the penguins when they fell over. They usually fall asleep and fall over.
Q - And after that?
I - After that I was a door-to-door salesman selling doors. Not many openings in that profession. As one door shut another slammed. And some opened outwards and hit me in the face.
Q - Sorry to hear it.
I - After that in my thirties my grandfather was very ill in hospital suffering from extreme indolence. It runs in the family, I believe; or rather it walks slowly in the family. Anyway, I went to visit him and brought him a bunch of grapes. He just sat there staring at the wall and said nothing. To keep him company I ate one grape at a time until I finished them. He just looked at me and he said 'selfish'. So I became a fishmonger.
Q - A fishmonger?
I - Yes ... the shop was a failure on account of the fact that we had a cat instead of a guard dog. We could not afford a dog!
NOTE: Why is it we place so much importance on what someone does for a living? And in doing so, we categorise some people, or some professions, as more important than others.
For example, if you were a successful lawyer or scientist or businessman, would you date/marry a waiter or waitress, or a garbage collector, or someone whose job is considered so much "beneath" you?
What would your family and friends say?
Discuss!

The series of puns in your story were very humorous, and a great hook to your poignant question. I agree, some people place much importance on what someone does for a living. I've always done my best to treat all people as equals. When I was in the education field, I treated the school janitors with as much respect as I did the school administrators. As an ordained priest, I do the same with my very inclusive congregations, as I have people from different social circles. However, I found your example very thought provoking, as it made me think about my 2 daughters. Ethnically, I have no problem, as they come from diverse heritages. However, they are both well educated professionals. I don't know how I would've felt if one of them would've chosen someone like a garbage collector as a partner. That's certainly a point to ponder, as it's likely bias of mine that I hadn't thought about. Thank you for making me think.
ReplyDeleteThank you Reverend for a full and very kind response. Indeed, we should treat everyone the same. But the question of dating/marrying has often intrigued me.
DeleteNow I am no sociologist or psychiatrist. I learnt all my psychiatry by watching Frasier on TV. (Who said TV is not educational). But I wonder - would a marriage say between a lawyer and a garbage collector be more likely to fail because people are not compatible? Are we wired intellectually to be with someone at the same level as us?
It seems that's how the world works these days. Everyone puts labels on people according to their job or profession. Whenever they interview people on TV about politics or whatever other subjects they always show the name and profession - criminal lawyer, consultant surgeon at X Hospital, advisor to Y Politician, and so on. So, subconsciously, whenever we meet someone new we always think/wonder what his job is and how does that equate with mine? (i.e. Am I better than him?)
God bless you Reverend and thanx.
Victor, to speak to your point about the marriage of a lawyer and a garbage collector, I think they can as long as they have an emotional connection, shared values, mutual respect, and can communicate well.
DeleteTrue ... but ... but ... are you sure there will not be any friction when the lawyer earns ten times what the garbage collector makes? Or when the lawyer's friends have difficulties engaging with the collector? Or whether the family will welcome him with open arms ... or not?
DeleteWhen you marry - you don't just marry a person but also their whole entourage.
God bless, Kathy.
It shouldn't matter what a person's career/job is but seeing that people are people, I'm sure it does matter. Sad!!
ReplyDeleteYes, as you say Bill, in reality it does matter to many people what someone's profession is.
DeleteGod bless you.
We too often judge people, wrongly, by their occupation and don't take the time to get to know who they are on the inside. If we would look at everyone as God's child first, this world would be a better place. Blessings, Victor!
ReplyDeleteYou are correct that we judge/measure people by their profession. But how would that work in practice in relationships? Could a professional date/marry a janitor, or bus driver? Would friends/family react negatively?
DeleteGod bless, Martha.
I agree with your other commentors. I might have even judged myself. I don't want to and I try not to. It is not just occupation - its clothes, looks, cars, etc.
ReplyDeleteI think mostly we are judged (weighed up) according to our job or profession. I hope I am not judged on my clothes Sandie. I wear a pyjama top instead of a shirt and a pink tie with orange spots.
DeleteGod bless always.
I feel like I should change my name too. Lol I may judge myself but I'm 100% sure my family will. Lol
ReplyDeleteGreat to see you visiting here Lux. Thanx. Call again soon and invite your friends.
DeleteGod bless.
Great discussion here! Many of my fellow high school classmates went on to become rocket scientists, physicians -- even a CEO of a well-known coffee franchise. Although I was happy with my lot in life, many times I felt my being "nothing more than" a secretary was something to be ashamed of.
ReplyDeleteI bet you were a better secretary than they were rocket scientists, physicians or CEOs. It is not what we do that matters but what we are. Have we left an imprint in life for others to follow?
DeleteGod bless, Mevely.
I am a janitor/housekeeper/maid/whatever you want to call the person who cleans others’ homes and offices. I know there are people, especially well off people, who look down on me because I’m not on their level. I just pray for them, it’s all I can do.
ReplyDeleteYou are very wise and charitable, Mimi.
DeleteGod bless you.
I think as I've gotten older I've lost that thing where people look down on others because they think they are beneath them or think their job is beneath them. With age comes more understanding and compassion. I think it does at least.
ReplyDeleteI think you're right, Mary, that people these days don't look down on other jobs so much. However, what if someone falls in love with a person whose job is considered lower - like in the examples given. How would family and friends react?
DeleteGod bless.
It shouldn't matter what a person's career or job is but not everyone see's it like that. I just do my best to be kind and polite to people I meet/come into contact with ... but it takes all sorts in this world and some are more tolerant than others.
ReplyDeleteAll the best Jan
Yes it shouldn't matter Jan. But in some cases, especially in marriages, it does matter; if not to the couple themselves but to their family and friends.
DeleteGod bless you.
You are so clever with words!
ReplyDeleteThanx Barbara.
DeleteGod bless.
I smiled all through this, Victor.
ReplyDeleteThank you Debby. So glad you liked it.
DeleteGod bless.