Saturday 8 February 2020

The Light Of The World

This painting is known as The Light Of The World (1851-1853). It was painted by the English Pre-Raphaelite artist William Holman Hunt (1827-1910); and it is displayed in St Paul's Cathedral, London.

No doubt many people have a copy or an image of this painting at home. Or seen it in church.
 
The painting represents the figure of Jesus preparing to knock on an overgrown and long-unopened door. An illustration of Revelation 3:20 - "Behold, I stand at the door and knock; if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with Me".

This is the door to our soul. Only we can open it and let Christ in.

According to Hunt: "I painted the picture with what I thought, unworthy though I was, to be by Divine command, and not simply as a good Subject." The door in the painting has no handle, and can therefore be opened only from the inside, representing "the obstinately shut mind".

Hunt, 50 years after painting it, felt he had to explain the symbolism.

I wonder how many people today take the message to heart and open their souls to Christ.

16 comments:

  1. "... an overgrown and long-unopened door."

    Very sad.

    What a coincidence you wrote about this. (Not sure I believe in coincidence!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wrote this post about three or four days ago, Sandi, and kept it saved to publish today. A God-incidence?

      God bless you always.

      Delete
  2. It is one of the most beautiful paintings that I have ever seen.
    I love religious art. I have always felt drawn to their beauty and the surreal feeling that they impart for me.
    No words could say as much as this one painting.
    I will never close my door to God.

    God's Blessings Victor ✝

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a wonderful painting, Jan. I'll try from time to time, feature paintings on this Blog. On 25 January I featured another famous painting.

      God bless, Jan.

      Delete
  3. Wonderful symbolism. When I got to your 4th paragraph I felt a chill right up the middle of my spine. (In a good way, that is.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At the end of the day, Mevely, only we can invite God into our souls.

      God bless you always my friend.

      Delete
  4. Believe it or not, I've never seen this amazing painting before today, Victor. The symbolism is fantastic! Thanks for inspiring us with this today.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a lovely painting isn't it? I'll try to feature famous religious paintings here from time to time, Martha. I hope you're keeping well.

      God bless you always and your family.

      Delete
  5. This is a wonderful painting and it must look very special displayed at St Paul's Cathedral, London.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never seen it at St Paul's. You're right it must look wonderful there as the original.

      God bless, Jan.

      Delete
  6. Sad for people who don't respond but such joy for those who do!!
    A beautiful painting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so beautiful! Since a young child, I have heard how the door has no knob on the outside and how that indicates the truth you shared here. He will not force His way in, but gives us the free will to open the door to Him, willingly. How thankful I am that I did that! He means everything to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true, Cheryl. It is we that can open our souls to Jesus. Only we can invite Him in.

      Did you know that C S Lewis said that the gates of hell can only be opened from inside? People willingly choose to go to hell and lock themselves in from salvation.

      God bless.

      Delete
  8. For all those whose door is shut, i pray the Holy Spirit will do a work in their hearts, moving them to want to open it.

    ReplyDelete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.