Saturday 1 February 2020

Unreasonableness

I find it so disappointing when people are unreasonable. I try my best to be kind and helpful to everyone, yet people often behave in an unreasonable manner. So sad.

Let me explain.

Years ago I worked in the Lost Property Office of a large organisation. You know the type. Most big organisations like railway stations, bus stations, hotels, theatres and the like have these offices. If anyone loses something and it is handed in, it is taken to the Lost Property Office to await someone to reclaim it.

My job was to record every item handed in, the description of the item, the identity of who handed it in, and date and time it was handed in. Also, if reclaimed, who reclaimed the item and their address.

This being Britain, the most common item handed in as being lost was umbrellas. We had hundreds of them. If you opened up all the umbrellas we had they would cover the whole of the UK.

Items were kept for a set period of time and then, if not reclaimed, they were sold and the money given to charity.

People used to come asking if their umbrella, or walking stick, or hat, or wallet had been handed in. After I asked for a description of their lost item, I would show them some items and if it is theirs I would hand it over. No fee. A satisfied customer.

Often people were disappointed that they did not find the item that was lost. I felt sorry for them. So I looked at the items that were past their retention date, and would offer them such as a substitute for their lost item.

I was trying to be helpful. And this is where their unreasonableness got me upset.

A man came once asking if we had found his lost false teeth.

I looked everywhere but no false teeth had been handed in. So I suggested he takes a packet of straws instead.
He got very angry with me and threatened to report me to my manager. I was only trying to be helpful, as I said.

Someone else had lost his hat.

I showed him several hats that were handed in but none were his. So in sheer desperation I offered him a trombone.
He turned it down on account that it was too big to fit his head. Unreasonable, don't you think?

People were losing all sorts of things. Someone had lost a bra,
someone else lost some underwear,
somebody else had lost a bucket of worms.
I mean ... how can people lose such things? And also have the courage to come looking for them. The worst item that someone had come to ask for, having lost it on our premises, was a live tortoise.
I looked everywhere and checked all our record books but I could not find a tortoise as being handed in. Neither dead nor alive. No tortoise whatsoever. So I offered him a grand-mother instead.
She had been handed in three months previously and no one had claimed her. Management was too reluctant to sell her as unwanted property and encouraged me to get rid of her somehow. She looked a bit like the tortoise in the man's photo. She was alive. She walked very slowly. Always chewing on a bit of lettuce which we gave her to sustain her. So I thought she would make a good substitute for the tortoise.

I held my breath. To my surprise the man accepted her as a substitute for the lost tortoise and a few months later they were married.

Now why can't all people be as reasonable as him?

12 comments:

  1. The name should be changed to "Lost Property and MatchMaker office"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point, Ryan. If only we had more tortoises handed in ... or grand-mothers!

      God bless you.

      Delete
  2. Hahahaha on the marriage!
    Perhaps the most distasteful part of my last job was overseeing the Lost/Found operation -- particularly when Big Corporation took over with documentation mandates. Funny/sad, how many people would demand we drop everything to find their item … and quick to accuse the housekeepers of stealing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's amazing what people lose on trains, buses, hotels and the like. It's not just the mundane like umbrellas. I'm glad you enjoyed this story, Mevely.

      God bless you.

      Delete
  3. What was lost, now is found! And a marriage to boot. :)
    Blessings, Victor!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed, Martha. The grand-mother had been handed in as a lost item and no one had claimed her for three months!!!

      God bless.

      Delete
  4. People lose the strangest things! : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They would lose their heads if it was not attached.

      God bless, Happyone.

      Delete
  5. Now if someone had lost their cat, would you give him your cat? I remember about your cat. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes ... my cat was always fighting me, as you recall. Yes, I would give them my cat ... but the family would stop me, I guess.

      God bless, Manny.

      Delete
  6. You so often come up with something that warms the heart and tickles the funny bone at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad when you and others enjoy my humble offerings, Mimi. Thank you so much for writing in and saying so.

      God bless you always.

      Delete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.