Thursday 30 June 2022

Are you a flipper?

Are you a flipper? I don't mean Flipper the dolphin from that TV series. I mean do you flip your mind from one thing to another? Do you change your mind frequently.

Let me give you some examples. When Jesus entered Jerusalem in triumph the people sang and shouted "Hosanna!" A few days later the same people shouted "Crucify Him!"

Peter promised to be by Christ's side at all times. A few days later he denied knowing Him three times. And to some extent so did all the disciples who ran away in fear.

Here's another example from the Acts of the Apostles Chapter 28:1-6

"Once safely on shore, we found out that the island was called Malta.  The islanders showed us unusual kindness. They built a fire and welcomed us all because it was raining and cold. Paul gathered a pile of brushwood and, as he put it on the fire, a viper, driven out by the heat, fastened itself on his hand.  When the islanders saw the snake hanging from his hand, they said to each other, “This man must be a murderer; for though he escaped from the sea, the goddess Justice has not allowed him to live.” But Paul shook the snake off into the fire and suffered no ill effects. The people expected him to swell up or suddenly fall dead; but after waiting a long time and seeing nothing unusual happen to him, they changed their minds and said he was a god."

After Paul's shipwreck, the islanders first thought Paul was a criminal. then moments later they thought he was a god.

So how about us? Are we flippers who change our minds at a moment's notice? One minute we pray that we trust God and then the next we doubt that He is listening to our prayers or whether He will actually respond.

There is no point praying, "I trust you. I trust you". We should stop praying and trust Him instead. 

When you were a child you did not run to your parents every few minutes shouting I trust you. You trusted them that they have your best interests at heart. As any good parents they sacrificed a lot for you; without a reminder that you trusted them.

How much more does your Father in Heaven care for you? Without the constant reminder, (to yourself perhaps), that you trust Him!

18 comments:

  1. ...politicians sure are!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! I have to put my hand up and say...
    "I am a flipper"..
    And not a flat rubber attachment worn on
    the foot for underwater swimming...
    Or found on a pinball machine..!
    And a promiscuous female...is also known
    as a flipper..!

    And l change my mind quite frequently...always
    for the good or the better..
    Don't forget that there are leaders and there are
    followers..both good and bad..
    I've always been a leader, as is my daughter.....
    never a follower..Better still...
    "Don't walk in front of me, l may not follow...Don't
    walk behind me, l may not lead, walk beside me,
    and be my friend".

    So Jesus entered Jerusalem in triumph...actually
    l thought it was a Harley~Davidson....

    Saint Bartholomew was the only Apostle to die
    on Malta..
    Saint Paul got rid of the snakes ability to harm
    people on Malta...!
    🐍 🐍 🐍 🐍 🐍 🐍 🐍 🐍 🐍 🐍 🐍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not know that about Saints Bartholomew and Paul. I know they have procession with a statue of St Paul at the place he was said to have been shipwrecked.

      God bless, Willie.

      Delete
  3. I am not the same person I was at 35, even at 50. Sometimes I don't even recognize the person I was. Many (external) influences have combined to shape my beliefs -- and I suppose they always will. My trust in our Savior has always been there, but I'll admit it wasn't front and center. Thankfully, I'm working hard to recify that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is true, Mevely. We all change a little with age and our attitudes are tempered by past experiences, mistakes and lessons learnt. Yet, when we look back, especially at the difficult times in our lives, we can see a glimpse of God's hand and protection at the very time we needed it most. Our trust is often based on our past encounters with God. What I call His track record. I know He has never let me down.

      God bless always.

      Delete
  4. Some people like to follow whatever the crowd says or does, they don't want to stand out or be laughed at.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sad isn't it. You describe the world as it is today.

      God bless you, Bill.

      Delete
  5. Trusting in that God makes life easier.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd like to think I'm not a flipper. :) I do know that I trust God and have put Him first in my life. It makes all the difference!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is good not to have doubts at times, Happyone. God bless you always.

      Delete
  7. We can all have our flip-flop moments, Victor, but I know that the Lord always has my best interest at heart. The older I get, the more I rely on Him. Trust is never a question.
    Blessings, my friend, and I'm glad to be back! (Although, I can't stop missing Virginia.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great to see you back here, Martha. Welcome. I understand about missing your grand-daughter; I bet you had a great time together.

      God bless you and your family.

      Delete
  8. It is normal to waffle back and forth in our trust, but ultimately, we know God is faithful. We pray, ask for forgiveness and repent. God forgives us our human frailties. God is good,all the time. Blessings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen Nells, yes God does understand our weaknesses and forgives.

      God bless always.

      Delete
  9. Dearest Victor,
    That Trust for unconditional love is something we all must cultivate, just like in a family between Parents and Children.
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.