Friday 4 November 2022

Close Encounter of the Medical Kind


I went to hospital yesterday. It was a routine visit to check that I still had a sense of humour.

At the waiting-room I took a ticket with a number on it from the dispenser and waited for my number to appear on the big screen overhead. Meanwhile I read some of the newspapers lying around. Terrible news about that ship called the Titanic sinking. There was no mention of it on the TV News but there it was as a headline in the newspapers.

Eventually my number came up and I entered the doctor's insulting room.

As soon as he saw me he asked, "Are you a private patient who will pay for treatment or are you on the Government's Free Treatment Scheme?"

I asked, "What's the difference?"

He said, "If you're on the Government Scheme I am allowed to insult you and hurt you!"

"Oh ... In that case I am a private patient," I said.

"OK ... sit down fish face!" he replied.

I was upset by what he called me and I protested, "I thought you would not insult me if I am a private patient!" I exclaimed.

"I am allowed to insult you," he replied, "because I don't like you. We doctors do as we like. We confuse people with science and they believe us!"

"But how about doctors having a good bedside manner and being kind and caring and sympathetic?" I asked.

"Oh that's all phooey!  Just nonsense to advertise the profession and attract new people to become doctors. In reality we doctors can do anything. From when we take the hypocritical oath we can miss-diagnose, give the wrong but more expensive treatment, or do unnecessary operations; and all our mistakes are buried six feet deep!"

I was astounded at his laissez-faire attitude, and he wasn't even French. I thought I'd better say nothing in case I made a faux-pas. 

"What seems to be the problem fish face?" he asked.

"Well ... I keep thinking I am a dog!" I said hesitantly.

"And when did this start happening?" he asked chewing on a KFC chicken leg.

"Ever since I was a puppy," I replied.

He threw the chicken leg in the corner of the room to see if I would go and fetch it. I hesitated. I nearly did go after that leg. Because I like KFC. But I resisted the temptation.

He was disappointed. "Get on the couch!" he commanded.

"I am not allowed on the couch," I said whimpering.

He brought in a nurse and they both tried to lift me onto the couch.
But I was too heavy for both of them to lift me. I wriggled and struggled not wanting to go on the couch in case I got told off. So they brought in another nurse to give me an injection to calm me down.
At this point I shouted, "All right!!! All right!!! I am not a dog. Now let me go!"

They did ... and the doctor asked the nurses to leave as I scratched behind my ear with my leg.

He sat down and asked calmly, "OK ... you are not a dog! What seems to be the matter then?"

"I feel a bit run down." I said.

"I'm sure the police will catch the driver who ran you down," he replied. "When did it happen?"

"Oh ... yesterday evening, a mile up the road from here," I told him.

"Did you have a good look at the car which ran you down?" he asked.

"No," I said, "But I can tell you exactly which tires he had. He left an imprint all over my shirt!"

"Are these the clothes you were wearing at the time?" he asked looking me up and down.

"Yes, why do you ask?"

"Because I have found a piece of cloth exactly like the shirt you are wearing caught in my front car bumper!" he declared.

"That's a coincidence," I said, "you must have driven past a few minutes after my accident and the torn cloth from my shirt got caught in your car!"

"Yes ... that's probably what happened," he mumbled . "What did you do after the accident?"

"I went home and watched the football on TV," I told him.

On hearing this he put his hands on his ears and shouted, "say no more ... say no more ... I have recorded the game and I have not watched it yet!"

"What about me feeling run down? What shall I do?" I asked him.

"I suggest you go home and destroy the shirt you are wearing," he advised, "and all will be well."

I got up and thanked him, picking up the remainder of the KFC leg from the floor.

As a special favour he reduced my private patient's bill which came to £126.

15 comments:

  1. Dearest Victor,
    There is a LOT of sarcastic truth in this story 😏
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...when you lose your sense of humor, you have lost everything!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL, scratching behind your ear with your leg, you must be very flexible. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep; nearly fell off the couch though.

      God bless, Bill.

      Delete
  4. I knew there was a problem, but I had no idea ---------- However that is a very expensive visit..... I would use the Gov't route next time... ;-)
    Sherry & jack on your side but on this side.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps you're right, Jack. The Government route would be cheaper although it would have a longer wait.

      God bless always.

      Delete
  5. If that guy were my doctor . . .
    Blessings, Victor!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it was very kind of him to reduce my bill by £4.

      God bless, Martha.

      Delete
  6. What an experience! Sadly, I think there's much truth behind, "We confuse people with science and they believe us!"
    'Still chuckling about the hypocritical oath.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From the moment I entered his insulting room I had my doubts about him.

      As I got in a nun came out crying. I asked him why and he said he'd just told her she was pregnant.

      "Is she pregnant?" I asked.

      "No," he replied, "but I sure cured her hiccups!"

      God bless, Mevely.

      Delete
  7. I am blessed to have a good doctor, he's a friend of my father who is a doctor, also.

    Next time he calls you fish-face, call him banana nose, it might make you feel better, or he'll hit you and then you'll have a real reason to need to see the doctor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so good to have a good doctor. Rare these days.

      God bless, Mimi.

      Delete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.