Tuesday 15 November 2022

On the couch

 

Thank you for seeing me so quick doctor. My real doctor said I needed to see a psychiatrist.

You real doctor hein? OK ... lie on the couch and tell me what's wrong with you.

I feel run down.

Don't worry about that; I'm sure the police will catch the driver who did it. How do you feel at this very moment?

Well, if I knew how to spell it I would say I was lethargic.

Lethargic? You mean you feel tired?

Sluggish is perhaps the mot juste to use. One has to be precise in one's conversation. It gives it that certain je ne sais quoi!

Somewhat pretentious are we?

Not pretentious, but perhaps a little tentious. Everything seems to feel so burdensome these days and so depressing.

Do you sleep well at night?

In between my wife snoring and talking in her sleep.

I see ... what does she say? 

I don't know. She speaks in French and I don't know French.

C'est la vie, I suppose. You say you don't feel well, tell me ... what are the symptoms?

They are little yellow people on TV. There's Homer and his wife Marge and the children Bart and Lisa and ...

OK ... I understand ... now then this is a little bit personal, when you're in bed with your wife ... how is your libido?

Oh I sold that Italian car. I now drive a Toyota instead.

OK ... let's try something else. Tell me about your dreams ... when you manage to sleep that is with your wife snoring ...

OH ... it is only one recurring dream doctor. I keep dreaming about the football games. The elephants versus the giraffes in the jungle. Every night the same dream. Sometimes the elephants win and sometimes the giraffes. 

Well, that should not be a problem. Take one of these pills tonight and the dreams will be gone.

Not tonight doctor ... it's the finals.

I see ... now tell me something else. Do you have any irrational fears?

I was afraid you were going to ask me that!

Why is that?

Because I am afraid of psychiatrists. They ask all sort of questions. Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist needs to have his head examined. I'm so fearful of psychiatrists that I went to a hypnotist to cure me of my fear of psychiatrists.

What happened then?

He put me to sleep and when I woke up there was a psychiatrist in bed with me.

And did that cure you?

No ... I fell off the bed and broke my wrist. 

Well, we've run out of time. I diagnose you are a little hypochondriac, a bit pretentious, with tendencies to being ostentatious as well as preposterous. 

What does all that mean?

It means you have to buy a copy of the Oxford English Dictionary.

15 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. yes ... as opposed to a pretend psychiatrist.

      God bless, Tom.

      Delete
  2. Dearest Victor,
    Haha, one would need some support after visiting a psychiatrist!
    That coffee would be a very good idea...
    One wonders what they know by asking only a few questions.
    And THAT for a living and a very high pay.
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are so many psychiatrist jokes:

      An elevator walks into a psychiatrist office and says, hey Doc I think I'm out of control. The Doctor replies you're an elevator. In your line of work you're going to have your ups and downs!

      A man went to his psychiatrist and said, "Every time I drink my coffee, I get a stabbing pain in my right eye." The psychiatrist said, "well, have you tried taking the spoon out?"

      I could go on; but I won't for now.

      God bless, Mariette.


      Delete
  3. And THAT's why I'm glad not to be able to afford psychiatric care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too true, Mevely. A psychiatrist I know wanted to charge £150 an hour to treat my friend who was afraid of monsters under the bed.

      I just cut the legs off the bed.

      God bless.

      Delete
  4. I am just going to say AMEN to Meverly!!!! Again good lines to make us laugh. We appreciate it.
    Sherry & jack smiling...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I learnt a lot about psychiatry from Frasier Crane on TV.

      So glad I made you smile.

      God bless you Jack & Sherry.

      Delete
  5. Instead of a psychiatrist maybe you need a team of experts to help you out. The team could all take a turn discussing your issues until you are cured. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How much would they cost, I wonder?

      God bless, Bill.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. He charged a lot for his services.

      God bless, Happyone.

      Delete
  7. It sounds like your doctor needs a better couch-side manner.

    ReplyDelete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.