Monday 7 November 2022

Love thy neighbour

 

When Jesus said "love thy neighbour" He did not specify which neighbour we should love. Is it the one living on the left of our house? Or the right? Or the one whose house is opposite in the street or behind our house?

Or indeed the one living five houses down the road from us? Because it is he I am having problems with. 

In my front garden I have put a statue of Superman. It is life-size and made of marble. It has professionally been installed there by professional statue installers. It is on my property. It has been there for about three weeks now. No one has complained.

Except ... the neighbour living five houses down the road. 

At first he wrote me a letter which he put through my letter box. It said that the statue was an eye-sore and should be removed. He did not have the courage to come and speak to me. I ignored the letter.

A few days later he saw me in the front garden as I got home from work. He asked me if I got his letter and I said that I threw it away. He said the statue brought down the tone of the neighbourhood. I pointed out that another house down the road has two lions on either side of their front gate. Another house has a fountain and a statue of a naked woman with water splashing all over her. They are also made of white marble like my statue. Will he object to them too?

He replied that those statues were art. Mine was an eye-sore. It is not classical in design. He added that people often put lions outside their doors, and statues of nudes either ladies or of Michelangelo's David or similar in style. These are considered stylish. Whereas no one has ever put a Superman with his hand raised to the sky and about to fly. 

I politely bid him good day and went in my house. The next day I received a letter from his solicitor threatening to take me to Court for lowering the tone and house prices in my area with my Superman statue. I was asked to remove it at once or they will file a case against me.

I went to see my solicitor. He was not there. Another solicitor was there instead. I had my doubts about him as soon as I saw him.

Instead of having a handkerchief out of the breast pocket of his jacket he had a KFC chicken leg instead. Now I like KFC, but there is a place and time for everything. And putting a chicken leg in your top pocket whilst meeting a client is neither the place nor the time. 

He stood up to greet me and realised he had a packet of French fries potatoes stuck to his bottom. He had obviously left it on the chair and then sat on it. He took it off and put it in his drawer "to eat later" as he said. Apparently, he was not expecting me to come in and was having lunch because he was too busy.

Then he asked me, "Do you know how to spell jurisprudence?"

I shook my head. He said he did not know what it means but it would sound good in a legal letter he was writing.

Eventually, we discussed my case. He advised me to turn the argument or debate away from the statue and side-track it into a discussion as to what is art.

Is Michelangelo's David art? How about a statue of Mickey Mouse? Or how about Rodin's "The Kiss" with a naked man and woman kissing each other? Would it be appropriate to have that in my front garden? What if, instead of Rodin's statue I had a large bigger than life-size painting/mural or photo on my wall of two nude people in that pose? Would my neighbour approve of it or say it is not art?

"Tell him you will remove the statue of Superman with a beard and glasses to make him resemble you, and you will replace it with Rodin's The Thinker. You know the one? A naked man sitting on a toilet," he concluded with a smile.

"What is art?" he asked with a wry grin, "What is truth? What is beauty? What is a KFC chicken leg?"

I left him and wrote a polite letter to my neighbour's solicitor (five houses away) asking him what is art anyway and suggesting that I will remove the statue and replace it with another one of Rodin's Kiss.

He replied the next day saying there is no need to remove my Superman statue.


24 comments:

  1. ARTISTIC NOTE: Rodin was a great sculptor as can be seen by the photos above. However, he could not sculpt a toilet seat. This is why he always had his subjects sitting on a lump of stone. In both these statues, the original intention was to have the subjects sitting on the toilet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...this message has been lost on many people these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True. Love thy neighbour even if he does not like your statue.

      God bless, Tom.

      Delete
  3. Hi Victor, I think you would have been open to a much better conversation if you would have put a statue of Jesus in your garden, even though no one truly knows what Jesus looked like.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a fan of nudes. Sherry refuses to move to a nudist camp with me. I about won the discussion when I mentioned the money we would save..... But then she said, You know I hate cold weather, what about then?
    Anyway I enjoyed the essay. BUT I never even thought of Rodin's Thinker on a commode!!!!
    Sending the best of wishes your way, and may you always have clothes....
    Sherry & jack in the sunshine....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing wrong with nudist camps. People go there to air their differences. My main concern, however, is in case a wasp of bee stings me in a delicate place.

      Some people even play tennis in the nude. Gives a whole new meaning to the term "new balls!"

      Rodin could not sculpt a toilet seat. It always broke down when he tried to make it hollow. Hence the statues sitting on a rock.

      God bless, Jack & Sherry.

      Delete
  5. PS: I lost the subject line. Sherry says I can like our widow lady, BUT NOT LOVE HER! Statue or not! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah ... so many ways to "like" someone.

      God bless, Jack & Sherry.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. What is art? If one takes a photo of two people sitting just like "The Kiss"; is that art? What if it is a painting?

      God bless, Bill.

      Delete
  7. Interesting, thoughtful, and commical. I love some of my neighbors better than others. My backyard neighbor is making me crazy with all his weeds. Thistle's they blow everywhere and dispite my digging them up, pulling them up, and my hubby spraying we still have the problem...3 years now. The whole neighborhood has the problem thanks to this one neighbor...no we don't love him so much...sigh. Maybe he thinks his weeds are art, who knows. Always enjoy your posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see how some plants like thistles can spread through the breeze from one garden to another.

      I'm so pleased to learn you enjoy my articles here. Thanx Sandy. God bless.

      Delete
  8. Such a volley of wits! Personally, I believe beauty is in the eye of the beholder ... and Superman's certainly easy on the eyes.
    Now I'm wondering whatever became of that solicitor's handkerchief.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point about the handkerchief. I was pleased however that he did not charge me for the consultation. I promised to buy him a KFC meal next time we meet. Oh ... and a legal dictionary too.

      God bless, Mevely.

      Delete
  9. I do think a figurine of Jesus or one of the saints would be a bit more appropriate, Victor. What say you? :)
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would certainly cause objections I guess. People do have such statues but in their back garden out of public view.

      God bless, Martha.

      Delete
  10. Dearest Victor,
    As long as it is your garden and your home—you place whatever you LIKE!
    If one had to judge the 'art' or taste of what people put near their front doors as being seasonal decorations 😳
    And even they put big ugly, often plastic, dawgs to resemble the mascot of the football team they worship.
    The biblical Golden Calf seemed holy to all that.
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. During Halloween, over here, we had people putting skeletons and witches in their from gardens. And Father Christmas in December.

      God bless, Mariette.

      Delete
  11. Another reason I'm glad we live in the woods. No neighbors to care what we put in our yard. The deer sure don't care. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Britain is so small that our woods only consist of two trees huddled together.

      God bless, Happyone.

      Delete
  12. What is art? How can you tell? And what if the neighbor is going to be offended at everything you do, even if you go to court and prove it is art?

    Some people don't make it easy to love your neighbor, or art, either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loving other people, (neighbours), is often very difficult. Especially when they drive fast and nearly cause an accident, or behave badly like some bosses I've had. Some people are just unlovable ... not like me!

      God bless, Mimi.

      Delete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.