Tuesday 29 November 2022

More Facts

 

Every so often I like to share with you some interesting facts that you might enjoy or even use in conversation at parties and such gatherings.

Did you know, for instance, that lightning doesn't always strike downwards? Sometimes the lightning, (which is an electric charge), bounces up and meets with another power surge coming down from the clouds.

Whenever there is thunder and lightning and it's very very frightening you should cover all your cutlery. Open the cutlery drawer and cover it with a cloth or napkin. This is because metal attracts lightening which will enter your house searching for the cutlery.

Also, switch off the TV and unplug the aerial because the aerial outside the house will act as a conductor and bring the lightening into your house.

This applies also for people who have metal piercings. Like piercings in their ears, on their face and on their bodies. The metal piercings will attract lightning towards them. I knew a woman who had a metal stud pierced on her tongue. She was out in a storm licking and ice cream. The lightning came down and burned her on the tongue and the ambulance people had to put an Elastoplast adhesive plaster on her tongue for a week until it got better. The ambulance people said she was lucky she was not using a metal spoon to eat her ice cream at the time.

Something similar happened to me years ago in Paris. It was rain, not thunder and lightning. I was eating outdoors in a restaurant with tables on the side-walk as they do in Europe. It started raining and it took me ages to finish my soup.

And now something else. Beavers.

You know the ones? They build dams across rivers. Contrary to popular beliefs beavers do not eat fish but they are vegetarians. They eat plants and wood from trees. Remember that should you ever invite a beaver to dinner. He will eat your table and leave your lovely cooking.

And another thing. If you make tea using tea bags, never ever throw a hot tea bag in the trash bin or else it will start a fire. Take it out of the cup or teapot and let it cool first.

Also, be careful what you mumble under your breath or say when driving with your GPS satellite navigation system on. I got really angry with my car navigation today. I even yelled at it to go to hell. Twenty minutes later, it brought me in front of my mother-in-law’s house.

You never realize what you have until it's gone. Toilet paper, is a good example.

A key-chain is a device which enables you to lose all your keys at once.

And did you know that the Internet never forgets? The Internet must be a woman.

Finally, some guy knocked on my door today and said, “I’ve got a parcel for your next-door neighbour.”

I said, “You’ve got the wrong house then, mate.”


26 comments:

  1. ...in this country alternative facts are popular.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like facts. It is difficult nowadays to find a facts machine. People use e-mails and texts instead.

      God bless, Tom.

      Delete
    2. Yes Kathy. You plug it in and it prints the facts from far and wide. These days it is all false facts on the Internet and e-mails and texts and social media.

      God bless.

      Delete
  2. The mother-in-law joke is a classic, Victor!
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can't trust the car navigation system these days. I asked it to take me to a pub and it replied "that's the third time this week!"

      God bless, Martha.

      Delete
  3. Dearest Victor,
    WISH those car navigators could talk back... Haha!
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They now have navigators with different voices and accents. What if the lady in the navigator system says turn left and my wife says turn right. What do I do, Mariette?

      God bless.

      Delete
    2. AAAAAAAH !!!! Disobey my wife? I am too much of a coward.

      God bless, Mariette.

      Delete
  4. I do love Artificial Intelligence ... until it trumps my own! As ever, thanks for the chuckles!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are inventing things we do not really need these days. Look at all the gadgets that one can get in a cell phones. It is no longer just a phone but a multi-task machine.

      God bless, Mevely.

      Delete
  5. LOL, I wonder if there are still facts machines on sale for the holidays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It shows how quickly technology becomes out-dated. I had a facts machine in my office. Now it's all T'Internet and Apps.

      God bless, Bill.

      Delete
  6. Oh you're in rare form today, Victor. I'm just thankful I've kept my piercings to a minimum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's true, Linda. Piercings attract lightning. Even the hidden ones ... like on the tongue.

      God bless you.

      Delete
  7. Thanks for these most interesting facts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those were some good ones. I had two close encounters with lightning and it can be really scary up close.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Were you injured by lightning, Brian?

      God bless always.

      Delete
  9. Very interesting facts. i was hit by lightening once. I had a bar of soap in my hands and it went into a giant kettle of soup. The Cook said, "No one will even notice!" TRUE. I did smile at the MIL and GPS thingee, But you might not. BUT, but I am still cracking up about the air cut. ;-)
    Sherry & jack over here...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good to Laugh, Jack. Did anyone notice the soup flavour? I bet the plates cleaned themselves. Where you burnt badly by lightning, Jack?

      God bless you and Sherry.

      Delete
  10. Thanks for keeping us informed!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for sharing these facts, Victor :)

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.