Saturday 12 November 2022

Lost

 

Father Ignatius was at the pulpit reading from the Bible:

“Jesus said to them, ‘I am the bread of life; whoever comes to me will never hunger, and whoever believes in me will never thirst. But I told you that although you have seen me, you do not believe. Everything that the Father gives me will come to me, and I will not reject anyone who comes to me, because I came down from Heaven not to do my own will but the will of the one who sent me. And this is the will of the one who sent me, that I should not lose anything of what He gave me, but that I should raise it on the last day. For this is the will of my Father, that everyone who sees the Son and believes in Him may have eternal life and I shall raise him on the last day.’ ”

The priest waited until the congregation sat down and then said:

“There’s an important message here from John’s Gospel at Chapter 6 verses 37 onwards.

“Jesus says that the will of God is that He, Jesus, should not lose anything, or anyone, that was given to Him. What does this mean? Are we all destined for Heaven and none of us should be lost?

“Let me tell you something which happened to me lately.

“Monsignor Thomas at Bishop’s House celebrated his 30th Anniversary as a priest recently. The Bishop held a party which I attended and I bought the Monsignor a lovely antique clock as a gift.

“Unfortunately, by the time I got home the clock stopped working. I took it to a shop and they agreed to fix it for £20.

“A few days later when I got back for the clock I was told it was lost. It was not anywhere to be found. The shop attendant explained that the clock had indeed been fixed yet somehow it got lost during refurbishment of the premises. He offered me compensation which I reluctantly accepted; but it was a small recompense for the lost valuable antique.”

The priest stopped for a while as he usually did during his sermons; then he continued.

“A few days later I received a letter saying the clock was ready for collection. You can imagine my delight at finding this precious antique once again.

“I of course offered to return the money the shop gave me as compensation but the attendant refused to accept it. He said it was Company policy never to lose an item. The clock was never lost; he told me emphatically, it was just temporarily misplaced.

“Not lost; but temporarily misplaced.

“And since the clock was never lost the shop attendant could not take back any money paid in compensation. It was mine to keep and use as a donation from the shop.”

The priest stopped again for a while.

“This set me thinking dear friends ...” he continued.

“God created us body and soul. We know that the body eventually turns to dust yet the soul lives on.

“It is given to each one of us for safe-keeping so that we may return it to God as He intended and as Jesus said.

“But through our sins we manage to lose it time and again. A lost soul destined for another destination than the one intended ... all because of our sin.

“God, in all His love and mercy sent Jesus to pay the price of restoring our soul. He has made us whole again. And the price was not a mere £20 which I paid to repair the clock. Jesus paid the price with His own life when He was so cruelly and horribly nailed to the Cross.

“That is a high price indeed my friends.

“The Son of God paid the price for our soul to be restored once again; just like that clock of mine.

“And it is our job ... our duty and our great responsibility not to lose or misplace our soul ever again.

“Whether it is temporarily misplaced in Purgatory or forever misplaced in hell ... this is something which each one of us will have to account for to God when it is our turn to meet Him face to face.

“What have you done with the soul I gave you for safe-keeping? He will ask us.

“I hope we’ll be ready to say ‘Here I am Lord, it is I returning to you. Not lost, nor misplaced.’ ”

21 comments:

  1. ...forgetting and losing things seem to a more of a problem these days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dearest Victor,
    That was a lovely story and so glad that precious antique clock was found again!
    Yes, a very good comparison used by Father Ignatius.
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the thought-provoking story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah ha! I hope you will pay attention and remember what the good Father said. I know you are MISPLACED, I hope you are found soon.
    Good thoughts for today. Sending love across the sea...
    Sherry & jack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you my friend. People seem to lose their souls with so much temptations these days.

      God bless you Jack & Sherry.

      Delete
  5. This, right up top, grabbed me, Victor - 'It is no point having faith in a Master who walks on water if we do not trust Him enough to follow Him.'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As soon as he hesitated, Peter started sinking in the water. We need stronger faith to follow Jesus.

      God bless, Linda.

      Delete
  6. Amen, Victor! May Jesus help us take care of our souls each day until we are reunited with the Lord.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen Martha. Sometimes it is a struggle; and we do need His help.

      God bless.

      Delete
  7. A wonderful story with an important message. Thanks, Victor!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Powerful! This is lesson's one I'm going to remember, hopefully all my days.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a fascinating explanation, it puts the ideas in a way i hadn't thought of before, thank you.

    ReplyDelete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.