Monday 10 November 2014

What's this Van Gogh?

When first I started my series of critiques of oil paintings the intention was to find "odd" or unusual paintings thereupon one can see the humourous side behind the unintended original reason for undertaking the painting itself.

Now there's a sentence I never thought I'd say, or write, without a shot or two of whisky. I'd better read it again and see if it makes sense to me. Hmmm ... yes it does. It means that at first I was trying to be a little funny about odd paintings like the nude woman in Manet's having a picnic with two fully dressed men.

But then I discovered more serious paintings like the beautiful Murillo I spoke of yesterday; and I asked you, my readers, (both of you), to suggest some "interesting" paintings for me to research. 

I am very grateful to Lulu  who suggested Van Gogh's Starry Night.

Now try as I might, I find it very difficult to say something funny about Van Gogh or this oil on canvas painted in June 1889.

The artist in question had a very difficult life and this particular painting shows the view from the east-facing window of the asylum room where Van Gogh was staying at the time after the ear cutting incident.

I HEAR YA - says one of the regular visitors to this Blog.

Basically, what happened is that on 23 December 1888 Van Gogh had a breakdown and self-mutilated his  left ear. He voluntarily admitted himself to a lunatic asylum, as they were called at the time, on 8 May 1889, where he set up a painting studio and painted this scene from his barred window.

As most of you know, Don McLean sang a beautiful song about this particular painting and this artist. Before I let you enjoy it, (the video is great, I assure you), please remember to suggest some more "odd/interesting" paintings for me to review in this series. Thank you Lulu.

Enjoy!

10 comments:

  1. SO--Victor--in the bleakest of nights--when there seems no hope--God gives us a window to gaze upon His creation and remember the beauty among the ruin. Great critique, Thanks! I am thinking over my next choice.
    Monday Blessings!.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you enjoyed this critique Lulu. Looking forward to your next choice - make it outrageous!

      God bless.

      Delete
  2. "The artist in question had a very difficult life and this particular painting shows the view from the east-facing window of the asylum room where Van Gogh was staying at the time after the ear cutting incident."

    Hey Victor #1, "I" couldn't let any of this stuff go by without putting in my Canadian two cents worth of how "I" felt, "I" mean US (usual sinners), no, no, "I" meant to say how us gods had to speak to some of this man's cells of the past to find out what happened... we manage to reach one of his lonely DNA cell in a time machine... He was now married and as we gods approach him we could hear his wife of this twenty century saying... YA Go and get the Van now!... I've got to remind YAR readers that the future has an equal opposite reaction mix... anyway his few cells of that die mention, "I" mean dementia, no, no, "I" meant he could not remember all that hell... Long story short, back then he sometimes "lived" back word "I" mean he painted so the alien gods simply called him Van Go and added a little gh (godly help) at the end... "I" want YA to know that "IT" was not easy for Victor, "I" mean us godly cells to put UP with those wet tears... we alien gods call them crocodile tears..."I" mean these puppets, "I" mean these human animals think that they know more that us gods... just wait until they learn the truth... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Az21zaexTVk As we speak, "I" mean write, we gods are in the desert converting these silly humans to the real truth and don't tell any bodies cells but "IT" is starting to become a prophet, "I" mean profitable in the real world... Yes! These good humans now know that their GOD was setting, "I" mean He was sending them out for a forty year Jam sex, "I" mean section... "I" mean they were promised Jam but got milk and honey... write now we gods are out of "IT" and need more to eat and if we don't get "IT" hell, "I" mean well the alien gods will come back with bells, "I" mean YA know that they have a time machine called "Bell" which these germ alien gods used twice if YA get my drift... Don't be believing these Victors, "I" mean Victor's past old blog https://www.blogger.com/profile/15443898648764230515 truth be known "I" helped him do most of the work and.................................................and........................................and...

    END YA SAY sinner vic? DON'T BE LIKE THAT! BE NICE NOW!

    Go figure brothers and sisters in Christ nowadays

    http://www.patheos.com/blogs/slacktivist/2014/11/09/sunday-favorites-156/

    I HEAR YA! No! No! You're not over doing YAR welcome YA hear, I mean here... lol

    WHO'S LAUGHING?

    Keep praying friends

    God Bless

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep praying for you and your family always.

      God bless.

      Delete
  3. That's such a lovely song.

    How about your next painting be: 51.Rembrandt: Anatomy Lesson of Dr Nicolaes Tulp (1632. You should be able to get some funny comments with that one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Manny,

      What a challenge you set for me! I'll try to post about it in a day or so. I have a couple of other artworks in the pipeline. Thanx for the suggestion.

      God bless.

      Delete
  4. I don't know, Victor, I think Van Gogh might have been smoking something when he painted Starry Night. It looks as if he can't see straight :) Great painting though!

    This song is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe he was going insane. Hence the lyrics of the song.

      God bless you, Mary. It's nice to see you visiting here again. Thanx.

      Delete
  5. Love. And perhaps we'll listen, still.
    Thank you, Victor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so nice to see you visiting here Eileen. Thanx. We look forward to your many returns.

      God bless you.

      Delete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.