Friday 14 September 2018

Embarrassing Shopping

When you go shopping at the supermarket and you are pushing your trolley along, putting something in every now and then according to your shopping list, do you cover up some items, the cheap ones perhaps, with more expensive ones until you get to the checkout?

I do hate to meet people in the supermarket when I am shopping, don't you? I mean, people I know, not just ordinary shoppers.

You have to stop and say hello and pretend to be interested when all you want to do is get your shopping done and get out of the shop as quickly as possible. And worse still when you see their eyes looking downwards at your trolley and noticing that you bought some cheap item or other instead of the best brand available on the shelf. And you're such a miser that you bought the "buy one get one free" offer of coffee which is no more than burnt horse manure and not one coffee bean has been used in its making.

Or even more worse still, when I get to meet the priest at the supermarket and he eyes the brand of whisky I have just bought, or the quality wines and beer; and I always pretend that I don't drink really. "It's just in case someone visits us at home, Father. Honestly! And don't take that as a hint of an invitation. This whisky is mine and mine alone. You can have the cheap one when you visit us. I always decant it into an empty bottle with an expensive label on!"

Anyway, where is all this leading to, I hear you ask. Yes ... I can hear you all right.

Well, the other day I was at the supermarket and I bumped into a lady friend from work. She's a lively young thing of about thirty or so, always bubbly and laughing. We stopped and talked, about work ... what else. As we're standing there chatting I notice that in her trolley there were no fewer than six packets of condoms; all of various types and quality/flavour (???)

She had made no effort whatsoever to hide them under the large packet of cornflakes or the super big box of energy drinks cans.

Six packets containing five condoms each equates to quite a lot of exercise for her and her husband or boyfriend, I thought.

As we were talking inanely about work she noticed from my eyes that I had noticed what was lying there on top of her trolley.

She picked up a packet and said "These are our favourite brand, if you were wondering! Which ones do you use?"

As I said ... I hate meeting people in the supermarket. Whether I know them or not.

Which supermarket do you go to and when, so I can avoid meeting you?

20 comments:

  1. Ahaha this is hilarious, I am always up for supermarket stories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let us NOT meet at the supermarket, Christine.

      God bless.

      Delete
  2. Very funny Victor :D
    If it should ever happen again just say that you by your "party favors and BALLOONS at the dollar store." That should shut her up :)
    Remind me to never accept a drink at your house :}

    Blessings~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes...I know about the "by" that should have been "buy" error, but my computer doesn't have an eraser~

      Delete
    2. You make a good point about the balloons, Jan. I should have thought of that. The cheap whisky is only for the priest because his sermons are too long.

      God bless.

      Delete
  3. Ha ha ha!! I don't think our supermarket carries condoms. You are right though. I have noticed that folks look in your basket. I don't try to hide anything as I shop. Don't care!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes ... why do people look at each others baskets and trolleys? Why do they need to know what quality toilet paper I use?

      God bless you, Terri.

      Delete
  4. Oh, good Lord, Victor, I can't stop laughing! Yes, there have been some things in my cart that I hope no one will notice, but this takes the cake.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't imagine the amount of exercise her man will have with all those condoms.

      God bless you, Martha.

      Delete
  5. I don't care if people look at what's in my trolly, I look too to see if I got everything. :) I love Jan's suggestion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan always has a funny answer, does she not?

      God bless you, Bill.

      Delete
  6. So how did you answer your lady friend's question, Victor? :}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I said my wife decides on such things.

      God bless you, Chris.

      Delete
  7. Wow, but she's a cheeky young thing! Were I in the market for such things, I'd most likely be buying online. All about anonymity, don't you know! I never thought about other shopping inspecting my stuff, but sometimes wonder if the cashiers aren't drawing their own conclusions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed Mevely. If it is not other shoppers it is the cashier. You can see their minds working when they look at what I am buying. I just happen to like bright green florescent leotards.

      God bless.

      Delete
  8. : ) Almost every time we go shopping we run into people we know and I don't mind at all. I even talk to people I don't know! : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try buying something unusual, Happyone, and see their reactions. The other day I put a car tire in my shopping trolley, along with the groceries and vegetables. The supermarket did not sell tires. But it sure confused other shoppers.

      God bless.

      Delete
  9. Many of my shopping trips are popping into the store for just a couple of things, so I just put them into my shopping bag to carry them to the cashier. I never thought about how I was thwarting nosy people from looking at what I was buying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed you are thwarting other people, Kathy. There are many nosy people around.

      God bless.

      Delete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.