Thursday 20 September 2018

My Unexpected Halloween

We were young and full of fun. We were prepared for anything but we knew our limits. We knew where to draw the line and where enough was enough.

It was getting close to Halloween. We were invited to a Halloween party on a Saturday night and we were asked to come in appropriate costumes.

Not my cup of tea. I do not like themed parties and especially parties where you have to dress up. But John and his wife Julie were colleagues from work and it would be churlish to turn up at their party wearing my work suit, or casual jeans and T shirt. So I hired a costume and arrived as Merlin the wizard from the times of King Arthur and his Knights of the round table. Not exactly Halloween costume, but it was the only one available at the rental shop that fitted me.

The party was OK, I suppose. A lot of people in their twenties mingling together, talking, eating, drinking and generally having a subdued party of sorts. There was some soft music in the background, but no dancing. John and Julie's house was not big enough for dancing. So we stood, or sat and chatted about this and that and everything else.

Then Julie suggested we try something different seeing it was Halloween. Why don't we sit down quietly round the table and try to contact the other side on her Luigi Board, (it was made in Italy).

Now that is definitely not my thing. Getting dressed in a stupid costume is one thing. Getting involved with the other side is another. I do believe in the spirit world; I believe that when we die we still continue to live in a spiritual world. Yet I do not believe it is wise or prudent to try and contact spirits; certainly not for fun. Whether it is Halloween or not.

What could I do? I could not leave. I had been driven there out in the country by friends. They were keen to stay and try the Luigi Board. So I was trapped. I could not leave and to protest and not take part would be rather rude. Besides, I am a coward by nature; and too scared to walk in the countryside in the dark.

So we sat down round this table. Julie brought out the Luigi Board. We held hands, or the tips of the fingers on this heart shaped piece of wood, (planchette), on the board and Julie asked: "Is anyone there?"

Our fingers moved the planchette in unison on the board. The answer was: "No!"

We were all riveted in confusion. If there was no one there then who answered "No!" ???

Julie was not deterred. We moved the planchette to its original starting position and Julie asked: "Is there anything you like to say?"

Again, the fingers moved the wooden heart on the board in unison. I was not putting any pressure on the wood, but felt as if I was being "led" by the rest of the group.

The answer from the "other side" was: "Yoo ave no knew massages!"

We all stopped simultaneously and no one said anything. I could tell we were all wondering what was happening here. If there was no one there, then who is answering that there are no messages for anyone? Is it our collective subconscious making the wooden piece move? If so, how come we were all thinking the same thing? How come we all answered "No ... No messages"?

"This has never happened before," said Julie showing her frustration, "is there anyone here who does not believe in spirits, or thinks it is wrong to communicate with them?"

At first no one answered. So I dismissed my natural cowardice and said, "I believe in spirits. Both real ones and those in bottles. I don't think we should talk to them though!"

Julie looked at me in anger. I knew that if she had her dictionary with her she would have said something rude to me; since her swear words vocabulary was rather limited. But she retained her composure. She remembered she was the hostess; and her husband was my boss. She smiled and suggested that perhaps it would be a good idea if I did not take part.

I pulled back my hand and sat a little further back from the table. She replaced the heart in its original position and asked: "Is anyone there?"

Again, the fingers of the remaining participants moved in unison on the board. They spelled the word, "Nein".

"There's nine of them," said one of the guests.

"Either that, or the spirit is dyslexic," I joked.

Julie's husband, John, laughed heartily. Because he was the boss, the other guests joined in the laughter. Julie looked at her husband with one of those stares that said, "I'll sort you out later!"

You don't need a Luigi Board to translate what that look of death meant.

Her husband stopped laughing, picked up a bottle of whisky and asked, "Spirits anyone?"

I offered him my glass with a smile. He filled it and winked at me.

Julie said that perhaps the spirits were not being communicative this evening. She packed up the Luigi Board and suggested we try the trifle which she had made earlier. It contained a generous portion of sherry and port.

Another couple of spirits I am well acquainted with.

It was a great Halloween after all.

20 comments:

  1. "Luigi Board" cracks me up! Love your stories, Victor!
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lulu. I am so happy you enjoyed this story.

      God bless you.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Is that what it's called? I must have miss-heard our hostess.

      God bless you, Christine.

      Delete
  3. Luigi board - LOL! And yes, Victor, I can identify totally with the latter spirits.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Scottish spirit is one of the best, Martha. Have you tried Drambuie?

      God bless you. Cheers.

      Delete
    2. Yes, many years ago, but I do recall really enjoying it. I'm a wine drinker now. :)

      Delete
  4. My friend had ouija board years ago. Don't know if he ever tried to contact spirits though. I prefer the spirits that come in a bottle. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, Bill. Drambuie and whisky are good spirits. I like Guinness too. Is it a spirit - of sorts?

      God bless.

      Delete
  5. Very good play on the word Ouija

    My preferred spirit to drink is Gin … mixed with some tonic and ice!

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know Jan, I have never tried gin. No particular reason. It's always been whisky - neat.

      God bless.

      Delete
  6. I don't play around with spirits, even the kind in a bottle. : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. Luigi Board! … I love this! Your boss sounds like a great fellow, indeed.

    PS - I've not considered communicating with my martini before; may give it a try tonight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, Mevely. Ask your Martini, "Shall I have another one?"

      Cheers!

      God bless.

      Delete
  8. Never played around with a "Luigi" board...I can't speak or understand Italian :)
    Also I have never played with a Ouija board...to chicken!
    I don't drink spirits either.
    But I do believe in spirits 👻

    Great story Victor and fun 🍁🎃🍂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you enjoyed this story, Jan.

      God bless you.

      Delete
  9. Love Luigi Board! Had no idea it was really Italian! (LOL) Always fun, Victor. Thanks for the giggles!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is Italian, Terri. Probably why we did not get any messages from the other side. We were talking in the wrong language.

      God bless.

      Delete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.