Saturday 22 September 2018

Who's the sower?


When we read the parable of Jesus about the sower and how some seeds ended on the footpath, and others on rocky ground, and others among thorns and only a few on good ground, we think of the Word of God spread amongst many who would not listen. (Luke 8:4-15).

But let's consider who is the sower? Is it God teaching us? Or Jesus preaching throughout the Holy Land? Or the prophets and Disciples?

The sower is of course all of these. But he is us too. Yes ... you and me.

We have a duty and responsibility to evangelise and spread the Word of God to everyone, far and wide. Not just Christians.

Today, I had the Jehovah's Witnesses knocking at my door. They were preaching to a converted. But I must say, I admire their courage and perseverance knocking at one door after another and being told to go away, we're busy, we have no time to listen. For some reason, they seem to visit our street quite often. Usually once a month.

The other day, in town, there was a man standing by a table full of leaflets and preaching in a loud voice about Jesus. He was handing leaflets to passers-by. Again, I admire his courage and perseverance. People were passing by and ignoring him; yet he continued preaching.

I couldn't do that. I couldn't stand in the streets preaching; or knocking from door to door telling people about Christ. I did knock on many doors years ago for political reasons; trying to get people to vote for the candidate I supported. That was difficult enough. I couldn't do it all over again for Jesus. (What does that say about me?)

But the Word of God is meant for everyone.

If the Word of God was meant for just Christians we would dig a long furrow and make sure that the seeds are planted one by one carefully in the furrow and none are wasted. But Jesus does not say that in this parable. He spreads the seeds far and wide and if people do not want to listen that is their problem. Not ours.

Of course we're not all good at preaching from the pulpit, or standing in street corners, or knocking at doors telling everyone about Jesus.

But we could preach about Jesus by our actions and the way we live.

Say for instance someone invites you to go fishing, or playing golf or whatever on Sunday. And you say you can't because on Sunday you're in church. That comment alone is your sermon.

If you're in a restaurant and do the sign of the Cross before eating. That alone is your sermon.

Then there's social media. How many opportunities we have in social media to give our own personal sermons?

We don't need to have University Degrees in theology, religion or whatever to tell others about God. There are many learned people out there with Christian Blogs and websites that would put you to sleep in the very first sentence. Good luck to them. They're doing a great job curing insomnia.

Our Blogs need only be simple and speak about our journey hand in hand with Christ as simply as we can. We never know who might visit us and not leave a comment. To many people, our Blog may be the only opportunity to learn about God.

Let your Blog be the one Jesus would want to read.

18 comments:

  1. Those Jehovah witnesses are an annoyance I must say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But you have to admire their courage, Christine.

      God bless.

      Delete
  2. I do not believe that by shoving God down someone's throat that we are doing Him justice. Many will rebel at being told "they must do God's bidding this way or that way and no other way, or you will not be considered a good Christian and get into heaven.
    " I have always said "teach but don't preach!"
    Please do not come to my door. I will choose the door that I wish to enter to pray or the forest or whatever and whenever.
    Your blog is wonderful Victor. You teach but don't preach and you add a touch of humor here and there~

    Blessings~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words, Jan. I am grateful for our friendship.

      This Blog is predominantly Christian; but I make a point of having mostly humourous posts and stories to attract readers. If they then wish to read the more serious Christian articles, that is up to them.

      I hope that Jesus reads this Blog, and that He has a sense of humour. Otherwise I am in deep trouble!

      God bless.

      Delete
  3. Victor, I think Jesus smiles at your humor and is pleased with your witness!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad, Terri. My jokes can be a bit risqué at times.

      God bless you.

      Delete
  4. When Danny and I are eating out, we always hold hands when the food arrives, and say the blessing out loud. I hope, too, that my blog reaches the hearts of others for Jesus, and my novels, too.
    Blessings, Victor!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not many people do that when eating out, Martha. Witnessing in public is somewhat rare these days sadly.

      God bless.

      Delete
  5. I do admire the work they put in to spread whatever they believe but for me, I'm just not interested and could not do that. I believe people choose what they do and believe, it's up to the individual.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I admire those who can witness in public.

      God bless you, Bill.

      Delete
  6. Forgive me, but I'm not one for door-to-door sermons, nor public rhetoric. Rather, I hope my actions - even my reactions - will serve as a positive testimony in His eyes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. “Preach the Gospel at all times. When necessary, use words.” St Francis of Assisi.

      You're right Mevely. We preach by the way we live, our actions and reactions.

      God bless you.

      Delete
  7. I agree we must tell others of Jesus. We can do that in all different ways like you said. I like to hand gospel tracts out. Never had anyone yet be rude. I leave them in places too. In returned library books and in restaurants. We say grace before we eat when we are out too.
    I pray my blog may lead someone to Jesus. 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea leaving tracts in books and in restaurants, Happyone. It takes courage to say grace in public.

      God bless.

      Delete
  8. I have taken your post to heart, Victor. Thank you.
    I don't think Jesus would want to read my blog at the moment...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why not, Chris? You have a wonderful Blog portraying the talents God gave you. This is your prayer to Him.

      God bless you.

      Delete
  9. Thank you for your thoughtful words. You are an inspiration to many.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How kind of you, Kathy. Thank you for your nice words and friendship.

      God bless.

      Delete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.