Wednesday 14 August 2019

Let's Agree To Disagree

Let's agree to disagree.

I never quite understood what this phrase meant. Does it mean that if I think something is red and you think it is blue, then we agree that neither of us is right? Surely if the choice is binary, between two alternatives, then one of us is right and the other not.

History is full of examples of people not agreeing on something. Nations have often disagreed on various issues and at times the disagreements were such that they led to wars and much suffering and death. They did not say, "let us agree to disagree", when the subject matter was of such importance that it had to be resolved one way or another. It could not be left unresolved ... for ever.

I am sure all of us in our personal lives can recall instances when we had to decide one way or another, to be on one side or another, on an important matter which at the time challenged a hard-held principle or belief.

I half-heard this sentence, "let us agree to disagree", on the radio the other day as I was reading the Bible. And it set me thinking ...

Did Jesus at any time say to His disciples, His followers or listeners, "let us agree to disagree"?

I could not find an example. Perhaps you can. Write me about it if you do.

This train of thought led me to the Gospel of St John Chapter 6 where Jesus says He is "the Bread of life" and later when He says that unless people eat His flesh or drink His blood they will not have life.

As you can imagine, this was very confusing to His listeners; even His followers and disciples.

"What is He on about?" they asked. "How can we eat His flesh and drink His blood? This is cannibalism surely. This is too much for us. We don't want to follow this guy any longer!"

They got up and left. So what did Jesus do?

He didn't say "Hey ... wait a minute. You didn't understand what I meant. This is what I really meant to say ... let me explain!"

After He explained it a second time, He did not say, "All right then ... let us agree to disagree!"

No ... Jesus let them go. He didn't try to justify Himself or what He had just said. It was as if He dissolved the unspoken contract between them. They could not accept a certain clause so He let them go.

Then He turned to His disciples and asked, "How about you? Do you want to go as well?"

As ever, Peter was first to answer, "To whom shall we go?" he asked. "We're in this for the duration, all the way, to the end". Or words to that effect, signifying that he trusted Jesus without question; albeit no doubt he had many questions in his mind. Peter accepted Christ's words without question and stepped out in blind Faith and dared to believe.

This particular Chapter in the Bible has been the cause of much debates, and arguments, amongst Christians for centuries. No doubt it will continue to be so.

The reality is, in my view, we will never understand what Christ meant by these words. Not until we meet Him face to face that is.

But God never asked us to understand Him. Only to trust Him and believe.

That's what Faith is.

19 comments:

  1. Perhaps, agreeing to disagree is a away of "hoping they will come around to my way of thinking. . ." or not! So good to read your blog again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so good to see you visiting here again, Cathy. How are you? I hope you're keeping well. Great to see you. Thanx.

      God bless you always.

      Delete
  2. It is symbolic..."This train of thought led me to the Gospel of St John Chapter 6 where Jesus says He is "the Bread of life" and later when He says that unless people eat His flesh or drink His blood they will not have life."
    I have always assumed that it meant bread and wine but it is confusing as are many things in the Bible. This is where faith comes in.
    "Let us agree to disagree"...one of us is correct and in time the one who is not correct will find this out.
    A "food for thought" post today and a very good one.

    God's Blessings My Friend~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jesus often talked in parables, Jan. This time, in John 6, He seems to repeat the message more than once and then when some followers leave, He invites His disciples to leave also. Implying it is not symbolism or a parable. He repeats the message in the Last Supper.

      I guess we'll never know what He meant ... for now at least.

      God bless you, Jan.

      Delete
  3. Only to trust and believe . . . Yes, that's what Jesus wants from us, and I'm all in!
    Blessings, Victor!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful closing. How often I've had to remind myself 'not to lean on my own understanding.'

    BTW, again you've reassured this reader, by use of capitalization (He, His, etc.). As part of my volunteer work at our church, I'm to type from the hymnals for later audio presentation. Every time 'He', 'His', etc. is shown in lower case. Are you aware of this 'new' practice, perhaps. Small matter, but it drives me nuts. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mevely, as time goes by people are distancing themselves from God. Instead of seeing Him as a great Divine Creator, they see Him as a friend, a mate, someone they can chat with as an equal. Hence, in my view, the habit of referring to God as him or he in small letters rather than in capitals, as He deserves.

      As a recent example, Norwich Cathedral in England have installed in the church, in front of the altar, a helter skelter offering rides to all for £2 a go. Because church should be fun!!!

      Reminds me of Christ turning up the tables of the merchants in the temple.

      See: https://www.leisureopportunities.co.uk/news/Norwich-Cathedral-helter-skelter-Irvin-Leisure/342734

      Note in particular what the Rev Canon Bryant said, "see even God differently".

      I make my point. I agree with your view, Mevely.

      God bless you.

      Delete
    2. Mevely,

      See also https://www.edp24.co.uk/news/bishop-to-give-sermon-from-top-of-norwich-cathedral-helter-skelter-1-6210312 and watch the video.

      God bless.

      Delete
    3. Oh my. That 'ride' defies my limited vocabulary!
      "Can we, dare we, open ourselves up to approach familiar things differently, to see the world through other people’s eyes and from their experiences?" I'm probably too old, but (I'm) leaning towards "No-thank-you-very-much."
      Experiencing a problem calling up the video (2nd link) but will try a little later. Thank you!

      Delete
    4. The world is changing faster than we can adapt.

      Second link: https://www.edp24.co.uk/news/bishop-to-give-sermon-from-top-of-norwich-cathedral-helter-skelter-1-6210312

      God bless you, Mevely.

      Delete
  5. I loved reading this, Victor!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good post, Victor. Agreeing to disagree is fine. As we know, opinions and thoughts change as we age. We are not the smae person, we mature and so do our thoughts and opinions. Faith will get you through even though it can waiver at times.

    ReplyDelete
  7. True; let us consider how many times St Peter's faith wavered; and look what happened to him.

    God bless you my friend, Bill.

    ReplyDelete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.