Saturday 23 January 2021

The delivery

 

Something very strange happened recently. I can hardly believe it. But I remember it as if it was yesterday. That's because it was yesterday when it happened.

I was about to sit in front of the TV and record a football game over and old recording of Downton Abbey. Why do people bother to record Downton Abbey I do not know. There's no car chases in it and people wear funny costumes. But it was the only DVD disc we had left and I thought I'd record over it. No one would notice, and anyway they repeat Downton Abbey so often that we can record it again in a few days time.

As I was saying, as I prepared to record the football game, there was a knock at the door. I opened the door and there was this delivery man there from one of the Internet shopping websites trying to deliver a horse. He tried pushing it through the letter box but the horse was too large to fit through the small aperture normally designed to accept letters and small packets.

So I asked him, "First of all, why has this horse got black and white stripes all over it? Is it the bar code that someone forgot to remove? And secondly, why did you not ring the bell as any normal person would have done?"

He was totally nonplussed. So much so that I did not understand what the word meant and had to look it up in the dictionary afterwards. Something you might care to do as well.

He replied, "It is not a horse Sir. It is a zebra. Secondly, I did ring the bell but it does not seem to be working. That's why I knocked at the door!"

"Of course the bell works," I replied totally unfazed by his impertinence, "here let me show you."

I let him in the house and shut the door. Then I pressed the bell button once or twice. 

No response.

I pressed the button again and kept my finger pressed for a long time.

Still no response.

I pressed once more and kicked the door hard.

Totally no response.

I then realised two things.

I had been locked out of my own house. And I had not ordered a horse, or a zebra, on the Internet.

In total panic I muttered to myself, "what do I do now?"

The horse did not care. It just snorted "Pfffftttt ..." like horses often do. 

I left the horse, or zebra, there and ran through to the back garden where fortunately the back kitchen door was unlocked.

I entered the house. The delivery man was sitting in my armchair, watching the football on TV and, to add insult to the non-delivery of a horse, he had eaten all my doughnuts I had ready on a plate.

"What do you think you are doing?" I asked rather disappointed by his behaviour.

"Oh sorry," he said, "the football was on and I did not hear you ring the doorbell. Thanks for the doughnuts by the way. I just got a text message on my cell-phone. The zebra is not meant for you anyway. Must go now."

He did not even bother to record the game. 

Downton Abbey wins again!

21 comments:

  1. ...I never got into watching Downton Abbey! Am I missing something?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Old style English family living in an estate house with servants - circa 1912 to 1926. No car chases, no cowboys and Indians, no John Wayne, or anything exciting like that. No country music either. So what's the point?

      God bless, Tom.

      Delete
  2. You get yourself into the oddest of predicaments, Victor! Glad the zebra was meant for someone else . . .
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was meant for a small zoo five miles from here with similar address of road/street. I am now short of 4 doughnuts which the man ate before leaving.

      God bless you Martha.

      Delete
  3. Downton Abbey should have won!
    I love that series!
    BTW...get your door bell fixed.
    I flew all the way from the USA to pay you a visit and when you didn't answer I flew back home again!
    Boy are my arms tired (cue drum beat)

    Have a great day Victor ☕

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jan,

      You like Downton Abbey? See what I told Tom above. What is there to like in that TV series?

      I am so sorry I missed you when you called. we could have shared some doughnuts. I hope you like them.

      God bless always my friend.

      Delete
  4. The guy ate your doughnuts at least he could have fixed your door bell. The gall of some people. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what's annoying, Bill. He said he was so engrossed by the football game on TV that he sat there watching it and ate my doughnuts. He did apologise; but that's hardly any consolation!

      God bless.

      Delete
  5. Bar code .... hahahaha! I'd be happy to take the Zebra off your hands; still waiting on the pony my parents never gave me.

    I've never seen Downton Abbey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have not missed much by not watching Downton Abbey; or by not having a zebra either. It's a period drama set in early 1900s. When you think about it, life was so different then; but was it better? No TV, no cell-phones, no FB, Twitter, Instagram, and other social media, no-name calling on these platforms, no bile and hatred; life must have been boring then.

      God bless, Mevely.

      Delete
  6. I think it would be fun to have a zebra. They are one of the animals that remind me that God has a sense of humor. Oh no, missing 4 doughnuts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When God created the zebra He said loud and clear, "this is not a horse; now you have it in black and white!"

      God bless you Terra. Great to see you here again.

      Delete
  7. I like zebras - pretty cool looking.
    Too bad that guy ate your donuts.
    I liked Downton Abbey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were strawberry jam donuts. My favourites.

      God bless, Happyone.

      Delete
  8. Dearest Victor,
    Haha, that was a very funny one!
    Yes, at times one is almost too perplex for following what is going on in some people's mind.
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just got confused and got out of my own house to show him that the doorbell works! And he ate my donuts.

      God bless, Mariette.

      Delete
  9. I loved your line about the zebra’s stripes being the bar code. Just too darn funny. 🤣🤣🤣
    Blessings, Victor

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good to laugh, Nells. But it is better to see you visiting here. Thanx.

      God bless you.

      Delete
  10. Well, at least you don't have to now clean up after a zebra in the garden. There's always a bright side!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is true, Mimi. Is their poo good for plants? Like horses' poo?

      God bless.

      Delete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.