Friday 23 September 2022

Genealogy - Up Your Tree

 

I sat in the train not looking forwards to a long journey. I was alone in my compartment so I started reading one of my books. Someone has to read them!; I thought. I don't normally read when I write them.

A few moments later an old lady came in and sat down opposite me. She nodded "hello" and started knitting silently.

As the train drew up from the station a man in his late fifties came in and sat beside her. "Just made it," he mumbled, "as my uncle used to say; a moving train waits for no one!"

The old lady smiled. I ignored him. 

He turned to the lady and continued, "he always had a saying for everything, my uncle," he said, "always le mot juste, as they say in French!"

She smiled again and continued knitting.

"He wasn't French of course," the man continued, "he was Welsh. I never knew that. I only found out when I got into genealogy ... you know, searching your ancestors on the T'Internet."

"I see ..." she said politely.

"I found out a lot about my parents," he continued unaware that no one was interested. 

He interrupted my reading. I hate it when I'm interrupted by someone; it sets my brain thinking in all directions. 

"Amazing how much I did not know about my parents," he said. 

 "Up to now you believed you were living with a gerbil and a cockatoo!" my brain thought but my mouth said nothing.

"They married three months after I was born!" he went on.

My brain called him a rude name then sought forgiveness from our Lord.

The old lady said something nice and smiled. This encouraged him to go on. "I have searched my ancestry through various generations going back years," he said, "amazing how many people I'm related to. So far I have discovered 56,000 relatives through the ages!" 

"Do they all talk through their backside?" my brain asked and my mouth censored.

By this time my brain was in free-flow having been distracted from my reading. Why would someone search his ancestry up to 56,000 people. I would have thought 100 or 200 would have been the most for me. I certainly would not search for more than that in case they all turned up for dinner unannounced. And would this ancestry program on the Internet go as far back as 56,000? How reliable is that? They could put as many names or relationships as they want and this idiot would be none the wiser. I bet he's got a lot of time on his hands searching for so many.  

He derailed my train of thoughts as he went on full steam ahead.

"Do you know?" he asked her as she nodded politely falling asleep, "one of my ancestors fought at the Battle of Agincourt. Another one died whilst fighting in Scotland. Others fought in a number of wars in Europe, Africa and all over the world! Even in Antarctica."

"They must have been quite an argumentative lot, fighting all over the place!" my brain interjected silently.

"And an interesting array of names I've discovered from my family tree," he bored the old woman, "A great great grand uncle three times removed was a knight at the time of Henry VII and was called Sir Roger Rabbitt, would you believe?"

"And no doubt he bred like his namesake! No wonder there's 56,000 boring farts like you," my brain wittily jumped in, "I wish you were three times removed from this train carriage. Or even once would be enough!"

It was like a comedy duo. He said something and my brain added the punchline. 

"The ancestry program on the T'Internet can also show you old photographs of one's ancestors," he informed the old lady who must have been suicidal by then, but she hid it well with a benign smile, "amazing how many people look the same over the years. It must be in our family DNA!"

"So do they all look like gerbils and cockatoos?" my brain asked, "no wonder you've such a bent nose. Were you born with this nose or did you pick it yourself?"

I had to bite my lips to stop myself from laughing out loud. My brain, which often misbehaves in times such as these, went on with one thought after another which I could not stop.

"Have any of your ancestors died of boredom listening to you or does boredom run in your family?" my brain asked. "Were you vaccinated with a gramophone needle as a child? You've not stopped talking since you came here."

As my brain continued to insult the non-stop-talking amateur genealogist and professional bore the poor old little lady got more and more desperate listening to him, smiling kindly and nodding her head and saying "yes ... how interesting ..."

At one point she put down her knitting needles, opened the train window and jumped out of the speeding train. I managed to grab her by the feet as she hung there in mid-air shouting, "let me go ... let me go ... I can still hear him ..."

I slowly pulled her back into the carriage and settled her in the seat whilst the man continued to regale us with even more tales of his long and never ending family tree which should have been uprooted and thrown out of the train when it was a tiny seed sprouting into eternal boredom for mankind.

(I think that's one of the longest sentences I have ever written without any punctuations).

19 comments:

  1. ...I know very little about my genealogy, my mother was adopted and never was interested in knowing about her birth family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand, Tom. Searching genealogy seems to be such a modern thing to do with computers. This man had searched many generations.

      God bless.

      Delete
  2. I know that guy, he is my cousin three times removed. We buried him, he is still talking.... Thanks for the smiles and prayers. Love from this side, Sherry & jack still happy after passing the # 66!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jack. Glad to see you here again.

      That guy would not stop talking about his family tree. I just cannot believe he has found 56,000 relatives. That is more people than in the whole world, and he knows them all. I just sat there politely and tried not to interfere.

      God bless you and Sherry. Praying for y'all.

      Delete
  3. You gave me a laugh on a dismal afternoon. Thank you. I got as far back as my great, great grandmother who was born in the early 1800's . I stood in on the same soil as she must have stood on - the farm still belongs to the family . Very emotional. But only because she was my grandmother's grandmother and having a wonderful relationship with my own nan, finding out about hers was very special. Have I gone on too long for you dear soul???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Grams,

      I understand going back a few generations and getting to know one's elders, especially as in your case, they lived on the same farm. I have managed to go back two or three generations.

      This guy was going on to relatives dating back to English ancestry. How could he possibly know he was related to Shakespeare? No wonder he talked so much. I bet some ancestor of his swallowed a parrot.

      God bless always.

      Delete
  4. Tom has a friend very much like that who calls every stinkin' day; once time Tom even fell asleep while Don was talking! I'm just grateful that my thoughts don't appear in bubbles over my head!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean about long phone conversations, Mevely. I know someone just like that. Usually my mind just wanders all over the place and I try hard not to say what I think.

      God bless you and Tom.

      Delete
  5. Dearest Victor,
    We ALL know such an idiot and they NEVER shut up and they don't make sense.
    As for the Genealogy—that's big business! And who can prove it??? I have my doubts that it is that accurate. Just like my DNA testing which showed I am 0.2% Broadly Sub–Saharan...🙄
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As you say, Mariette, who can prove the accuracy of such genealogy checks. Records going back some years are not that accurate anyway.

      This man just would not shut up. He was speaking to a perfect stranger and she was too polite to say anything.

      God bless always.

      Delete
  6. The man is a poorer one for not hearing your mental repartee, Victor! Thanks for another great laugh. Oh, and maybe you should have interrupted and shared your brilliant book with that sweet little old lady. :)
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the compliment, Martha. My mind usually wanders into private thoughts in situations like these, and sometimes I speak out. It often got me in trouble at work.

      God bless always.

      Delete
  7. No wonder you are able to write such excellent books, your brain is quite quick!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At an early age I discovered the benefits of books. I used to stand on them to reach the cookies jar.

      God bless, Mimi.

      Delete
  8. ah, we meet the most fascinating people when we travel, don't we ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why do they have all to come and sit in my compartment?

      God bless, Linda.

      Delete
  9. Hi Victor, I don't think I would be here if my great granddad had not come to the UK from either Austria or Germany. He was Jewish and I think he would have probably ended up in Auschwitz. My granddad was a lovely person who owned three shops, and a row of terraced houses. He let young men live in the row of houses who were looking for work. He did not charge them any rent until they found work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a lovely story, Brenda. Thank you for sharing it with us. We can learn a lot from our ancestors. Different world then, compared to now.

      God bless.

      Delete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.