Sunday 17 February 2019

Go to Heaven ... Go directly to Heaven ... Do not pass Go ... Do not collect ...

One day a priest approached the lectern on Sunday and asked: "Raise your hands if you are going to Heaven!"

The whole congregation raised their hands enthusiastically. The priest looked around the church for a while and eventually noticed, in the third row on the left, a man sitting there with his hands on his lap. He was impressed at the humility of the man. "How humble," he thought, "not to presume that he will go to Heaven, but no doubt striving to be there some day".

He asked the congregation to lower their hands and then he asked the man: "Why did you not raise your hand?"

The man replied: "I'm not sure I want to go to Heaven if they'll all be there!"

And that's the point I suppose. We all believe that we are going to Heaven some day. We all feel that we are worthy enough to be there. After all, we go to church on Sundays, we say our prayers, sometimes, we are generally good people; so why shouldn't we be there? Even people who do not believe in God, when asked whether they'd prefer to go to Heaven or hell they choose to go to Heaven.

We treat Heaven, however we might visualise it to be, as a luxury hotel where we will be welcomed with open arms, and indeed the current residents will be honoured to have us there. We look forwards to spending an eternity with God, without even considering whether He wants to spend an eternity with us. We judge ourselves according to our standards and forget that God has His own standards as to whom He will welcome with open arms.

"Not everyone who calls me 'Lord, Lord' will enter the Kingdom of Heaven, but only those who do what my Father in Heaven wants them to do." Matthew 7:21

In other words - There are no parrots in Heaven.

Despite what some people might think, that there are animals in Heaven; and that they'll be re-united with their pets one day. Personally, I hope there are no animals up there; because I'd hate to come face to face with the Sunday roast admonishing me for having eaten it. But I digress.

I am not one of those people who believes we have to work hard and strive to enter Heaven; and that it is all to do with good works and sacrifices and we enter Heaven on our own merit.

Of course, our actions and behaviours do have a bearing as to whether we are worthy to spend an eternity with our loving Creator; but there's more to it than that.

If throughout our lives we choose not to believe in the existence of God. If we choose not to believe that Jesus Christ is His Son, who died for us. And if we maintain that belief all through life, in the arrogant stance that we are correct. We cannot expect to find ourselves welcomed in Heaven. How could we go to a place we do not believe exists and be with an Almighty Creator whose existence we have denied to the last?

What is the point of going to church regularly and forever praying when we do not even notice Lazarus starving at our gate?

What is the point in proclaiming we are Christians and we believe in God when our behaviour bears no resemblance to God's love as personified by Christ? Even the devil believes in God, but his actions are hardly to be emulated.

What is the point of lighting candles and placing flowers in church, serving on church committees and doing all sorts of other voluntary work if our life-style is hardly Christ-like?

So if our prayers, our devotions, our belief  in God and good works by themselves are not enough; what should we do to enter Heaven?

Let us remember that we cannot buy our way into Heaven. All our good deeds, prayers, lit candles, flowers and even giving money to charity will not by themselves open Heaven's gate for us. What is missing from our actions is love.

God loves us so much that His invitation to Heaven is open to anyone who loves Him back and trusts Him in all things.

Our relationship with God should be a one-to-one relationship, built on love, trust and respect. Not on fear that we might not meet His demanding standards to enter His Kingdom. If fear there is, it should be the fear of hurting Him and disappointing Him by our behaviour. Very much as a good son would fear hurting his parents by his actions.
FATHER FRANCIS MAPLE
Father Francis Maple O.F.M Cap. in one of his sermons makes a good point about our relationship with God by referring to a leaning tree. Here's what he says:
 
I think of a life as a tree. If a tree leans in one direction when it dies it will fall in that direction. It is not going to fall in the opposite direction. So, too, with our lives. If all the time we are leaning towards God, very likely, with God's grace we shall fall into His arms when we die. But if our lives never point to God, it is very likely that when we die we shall die in enmity with God.

MORE ARTICLES LIKE THIS IN MY BOOKS
 

22 comments:

  1. Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life; whoever does not obey the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God remains on him. John 3:36 We could NEVER work hard enough to be righteous for God is the standard of righteousness. Our "Good Works" are the visible evidence of our obedience and desire to serve The Father. Great Post, Victor!
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed, Lulu. We are all invited to Heaven. It is up to us to accept the invitation ... or not.

      But are there animals in Heaven?

      God bless.

      Delete
    2. Are there animals in Heaven?

      When I was a little girl I asked my mom if my stuffed animals would go to Heaven with me when I died. She said something brilliant, "Whatever you need to be happy will be there."

      Delete
    3. You have a very wise mother, Sandi.

      God bless you and yours.

      Delete
  2. "If we choose not to believe that Jesus Christ is His Son, who died for us."

    Jesus is the thing. There is one way to the Father.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A wonderful post Victor! I always felt that we were told this way back when we were very young in school. I sometimes feel that they, the priests, wanted us to be afraid of going against Jesus and what he stands for because the devil will send you to hell and you'll burn for eternity. What's a young child to believe. Then you grow up and learn about all the abuse that happened. I think some people just have it all wrong. I just try to be the best I can and that's enough for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is what Christ asks of us, Bill. To believe in Him, to trust Him, and to try to be the best that we can by following His example of loving one another.

      God bless you, Bill.

      Delete
  4. As soon as I get my birthday money, Victor, I plan to order both of your Reflection books. Loved what you shared here today, my friend!
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope and pray that you find something helpful in these books, Martha. It took me ages trying to explain various teachings and beliefs. I hope I have succeeded. Let me know please what you think. Thanx.

      God bless you my friend.

      Delete
  5. I try and not be a dick and hope that will be good enough.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Bible tells us the only way to get to heaven is through Jesus. We are ALL sinners but when Jesus died on that old rugged cross He took our sins away. What a precious GIFT we can ALL receive, Salvation!! Once we realize how very much Jesus did for us and how much He loves us, how can we not want to live for Him. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right, Happyone ... "through Jesus". Yet many people today do not want either Heaven or Jesus.

      God bless.

      Delete
  7. Great counsel, Victor! While I snickered at your reference to encountering the Sunday roast-on-hooves, I LOVE what Sandi's mother told her. So much kinder than my humorless late Uncle (the-German-Lutheran-pastor) who informed me in no uncertain terms that animals have no souls. Decades later, that still bothers me a bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand why it bothered you, Mevely. I have often wondered what ARE animals? Are they creatures just like us, or are they/we different? Why is it that only we can reason, think, invent, manufacture and ... make war? (Oh dear ... I am getting a little philosophical ... either that or it is the drink talking. It is getting rather late over here. Why is time different in different parts of the world? Is it anything to do with there being animals?)

      God bless you, Mevely. Good night.

      Delete
  8. Loved this post Victor!
    I pray every night. Why at night? Because it is quiet and without interruptions of my thoughts. I feel closer to God at night. I am not really sure why...but I am.
    Many times I stand by my patio door while I pray and look up at the stars, the moon and think of their creator who is also my Creator. It is quiet, beautiful and peaceful. This is how I picture heaven to be. Yes! I do believe that God will invite me into heaven when my time comes. Maybe I am doing some wishful thinking here :)

    God's Blessings Victor ✝

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a wonderful comment, Jan. I too sometimes look up at the sky at night and the many stars; and it makes me feel so small amongst all those other creations up there. I believe, once again, that Someone must have put them there. They did not just happen by accident.

      God bless you, Jan.

      Delete
  9. God loves us so much that His invitation to Heaven is open to anyone who loves Him back and trusts Him in all things.

    Amen, Victor! Amen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed, Terri. You said it well.

      God bless you and yours.

      Delete
  10. Are you sure you didn't sneak into my house and read the bulletin we brought home this week? Our pastor wrote on the same topic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have a wonderful pastor, Kathy. Tell us more about his sermons on your Blog. We'd love to hear him.

      God bless.

      Delete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.