Monday 25 February 2019

When dark clouds gather ...

Let's face it folks, we all have bad hairdo days every now and then. Days when everything seems to go wrong. Days when we are feeling down yet we do not know what it is that makes us feel miserable. On the face of it, everything appears to be OK; yet we feel unhappy, depressed, and all we can see is the negatives in life.

When this happens to me I just leave home and book into a hotel.

I go to my room, and sit there, all alone, quietly, and consider the reason for my unhappiness. I try to analyse why I feel so low and depressed. Then ... as it gets dark outside as well as within my soul ...

... I phone room service.

The people at room service are different from my family and friends. They have to listen to my whining and moaning. They don't neglect me with a smile and a good word of pretend sympathy. They don't put the phone down pretending there's someone at the door ... in the middle of the night.

The people at room service have to listen to me. It is their job to listen to me. They listen to my complaints about life in general. My boring job. My demanding family. The fact that the country's GDP, that's Gross Domestic Product, if you don't know ... The fact that the GDP has gone down and that inflation is on the rise as is unemployment.

Those room service people at the hotel are kind. They listen. They never hang up or pretend they are busy. And if I happen to cry and sob on the phone they come up to my room with tea and biscuits.

I like their chocolate cookies. They are different from the ones we have at home. And they say it is free ... part of the service, they say.

They listen to my problems and eventually they tuck me into bed as I fall asleep.

Over the years, I have been to the same hotel for their room service several times.

Better than going to Confession. Our priest is not always available, and when I speak to him I get the impression his mind is on the next Bingo session in the church hall.

How do you chase away the blues when you're feeling down?

20 comments:

  1. I come here to read your blog.
    It is filled with humor, knowledge and more importantly God...He has a sense of humor, too. After all, He created You Victor.
    Gotta run my phone is ringing and so is my doorbell :)

    God's Blessings ✝

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why have you got a phone on your doorbell? Or is it a doorbell on your phone? Now I have one more thing to worry about and to tell those room service people. I'll tell them I know someone with a doorbell on their phone.

      God bless, Jan.

      Delete
    2. Silly me. I don't even have a phone or a doorbell.
      It was just my ears ringing again :)

      Delete
    3. I think you should go to a hotel and ring room service. They are good, you know!

      God bless.

      Delete
  2. Yep...I agree with JFM... just pop in an let Victor's post make you giggle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is all serious and true, Terri. And you are giggling at me.

      God bless you always.

      Delete
  3. How do I chase the blues? Read, mostly. It doesn't chase them, but does distract me. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It depends what one reads. Some of the things I read make me even more depressed.

      God bless, Brian.

      Delete
  4. Gosh, I wish I'd seen this yesterday and booked my Tom a hotel room! Me, I like to open a nice bottle of Cabernet and curl up with my dog(s). Come to think of that, I like to do that even when I'm not depressed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea, Mevely. Although I'd prefer Guinness to Cabernet.

      God bless you.

      Delete
  5. And room service doesn't make you do any of those Hail Mary's.

    We have room service at my home, my asks for something down stairs and I get it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, JoeH. No Hail Mary's. Just sympathy and good personal care.

      God bless you.

      Delete
  6. I chase the blues by praying, reading or writing. Also, like Mevely, a good glass of Cabernet doesn't hurt either!
    Blessings, Victor!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd go along with your first three suggestions, Martha. And I'd change the Cabernet for Guinness.

      God bless.

      Delete
  7. I go for a walk, sit by the water, listen to my mp3 player and take some photos. Walking really does cheer me up and keeps my mind focused. I always tell myself, there are people with more serious issues than me.

    Enjoy the day, Victor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right, Bill. There are always people less well than us. We should remember them when we're feeling low.

      God bless.

      Delete
  8. I find a walk helps … and a nice cup of tea on my return.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree ... depending on the weather.

      God bless, Jan.

      Delete
  9. A drive to the ocean. And reading your blog, of course :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a kind thing to say, Chris. About the ocean ...

      Seriously, thank you so much for your support. God bless you.

      Delete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.