Tuesday 19 February 2019

Gone With The Wind

SPECIAL NOTICE: My heart gladdens when you, my kind and loyal readers, comment below that you have enjoyed and laughed at my posts. It is your support and encouragement that keeps me writing every day; (except on days when I do not write on account of that I have nothing in my head to write about).

Anyway ... if you enjoy what you read here, why not tell others too so that they might visit here and laugh or giggle too. Do you realise that if each one of you encouraged just one person to visit here regularly we would have ... more persons visiting here regularly. 

Thank you. God bless. 


Why is it that embarrassing things keep happening to me? Let me explain.

At our supermarket car park you usually pick up a ticket at the barrier which you place inside your windscreen so that the car park attendant can easily see it when he does his rounds. When you leave, you hand the ticket at the exit barrier and you pay as you exit. So it is imperative you do not lose your parking ticket.

I’d finished shopping and I placed all my goods in the car. As I opened the driver’s door a gust of wind blew the ticket out of the car. I chased after it. It went under another parked car some yards away. I looked around for the car park attendant – there was no one to be seen. The place was deserted.

I knelt down and there winking at me teasingly was the ticket under a parked van. It was just out of reach as it smiled at me saying: “Come and get me!”

I went totally flat on my tummy and stretched my arm right out under the car, inching forwards a bit at a time until I touched the ticket with my fingertips. Another stretch and … “Got it!”

At this point I heard a woman say: “Are you all right, Sir?”

I eased myself from under the car as she said, “You seem to have fainted, Sir; and rolled under this van!”

Before I could explain myself she had called the car park attendant who now appeared out of nowhere. Where was he when I needed him?

The attendant called for help on his walkie-talkie radio. Another shop assistant turned up with a chair followed by someone else with a glass of water.

“Sit down Sir …” they all seemed to say in unison, “have a sip of drink!”

I tried to explain what had really happened …

“He’s delirious poor soul …” said the woman who first found me on the ground, “he doesn’t know what he’s saying … maybe he hit his head hard as he fell!”

“I did not fall …” I said biting my lip to suppress any insults on my mind, “I went down on my knees voluntarily!”

“Did you want to pray, dear?” she asked patronisingly, "don't be concerned, the Good Lord loves you and will forgive all your sins if you ask Him. You do not have to kneel here in the middle of the car park! He is everywhere, you know?" then turning to the others she mumbled, “he doesn’t know where he is … thinks he’s in church poor soul! It happens to some people with age!”

What a damn cheek ... what did she mean by people with age? I am younger than her and could race her any day at drinking a chocolate milkshake faster than her. Besides, she looked ugly with her condescending religious voice that would turn any man to sin.

At this point the first aider turned up with his bag with a red cross on it. He opened it and asked, “Is he bleeding? Where did he hit his head? Does he want mouth to mouth resuscitation; only I don't like doing that. You don't know what germs you can pick up from a dying man, do you? Have you got any communicable diseases that I should know of, Sir? Or any of a sexual nature?”

Before I could answer something that he would remember for the rest of his life, the assistant manager turned up and asked me, “Are you making a complaint and seeking compensation, Sir? We'll deny all responsibilities, whatever they are. You'd be surprised how many people pretend to have been run over by stationary cars just to claim compensation!”

I remained calm under the circumstances and shouted, "Would you all get the hell out of here ... except this idiot pretending to be the ass manager!"

This gave me the opportunity to explain matters to someone who might be able to listen. They all looked at me in surprise and walked away mumbling to each other.

The assistant manager looked a bit of an idiot; but in dire times a bit of an idiot is better than none.

I told him what happened and assured him I had not intention of making any complaint or seek compensation. I just wanted to leave this stupid car park manned by escaped lunatics.

He went away much relieved. He told me the gate-keeper will let me out if I showed him my parking ticket.

As I reached the exit barrier the attendant there wanted to charge me a fee for overstaying my welcome.

I had to explain all over again why I had stayed longer than the allotted parking time. He called the assistant manager who asked the attendant to let me out. The attendant refused. An argument ensued between the two of them and neither wanted to give way.

At this point a cashier turned up with a bag of onions in his hands, "are you the gentleman who forgot these at the cash desk?" he asked.

As the assistant manager and the car park attendant were arguing, I got out the car. Put my head through the kiosk opening and pushed a button on the panel marked OPEN. To my surprise, both men ignored me as they continued arguing about company policy.
I got in the car and left.

The moral of this story is:

You don’t need to go down on your knees to pray.

No … that’s not it. Oh ... I got it ...

Don't forget your onions at the cash desk.

No ... that's not it either ...

Watch out for gusts of wind before you open the car door.

29 comments:

  1. Hehehehe!

    "... if each one of you encouraged just one person to visit here regularly we would have ... more persons visiting here regularly."

    That is so true.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your help, Sandi. I rely on you.

      God bless you.

      Delete
  2. Good advise. We have a similar parking situation at a shore park. You place the ticket on the dash after you pay for your time. A parking officer checks periodically to make sure you have not stayed past. Upon closing the door, the wind from the force of the closing door flipped the ticket over so the time was not available to read. I received a ticket, $50 even though I had not overstayed. Not as embarrassing (or funny) as having to crawl under a car.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is really annoying, JoeH. It was unfair to charge you $50 fine. I just HAD to find my ticket because we pay as we exit, depending on time stayed in the car park. If you have no ticket it is an automatic fine of £50.

      God bless.

      Delete
    2. I could have fought it and probably won as I had the flipped ticket timestamped and the time of the summons, but it would have taken a 50 mile trip from my house to the courthouse and who knows how much time, always the chance that I would have lost anyway by some loophole.

      Delete
    3. I understand. It is really annoying when we lose an argument on a technicality. I was once fined at the railway station for parking my car just 5 minutes over the allotted time. I argued and lost. The fine was £20 - a small sum maybe; but a big hit on my pride and feeling of justice.

      God bless, JoeH.

      Delete
  3. I am glad we don't have to get a parking ticket for much of anything here in Lakeland!! Perhaps a portable leaf blower would help get that ticket out from under another vehicle? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll buy one next time I'm at the same supermarket, Terri.

      God bless.

      Delete
  4. And yet, more hilarity! Great moral to the story, too, Victor.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed this story, Martha.

      God bless you.

      Delete
  5. Funny, funny man!
    Thank you for making my days brighter and happier.

    God's Blessings Victor ✝

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really makes me happy, Jan, as I said at the top of my post today, when just one person smiles at what I have written. Thank you for your support and encouragement.

      God bless you.

      Delete
  6. Yes, the truth is often stranger than fiction. Seems everyone these days wants their 15 minutes of fame.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was amazing how many people wanted to be involved, Mevely.

      God bless.

      Delete
  7. I LOVE your stories! Someone should do a study of how your brain works! It is amazing how your weave a tale!
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lulu, I sometimes play a mental game. I suggest a subject to myself - e.g. cow. And then I challenge myself to come up with a story within a day. Sometimes it works ... and you read the stories here, and hopefully find them funny.

      God bless you; and thank you for your continued support.

      Delete
  8. The answer is blowing in the wind. :) Nice one, Victor!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed it is blowing in the wind ... what a wonderful song that was. Thank you for your kind comment, Bill.

      God bless you always.

      Delete
  9. My never a dull moment with you.
    Yesterday a piece of paper blew out of the truck when Ken opened his door. Nothing dramatic happened to us though. Ken just ran after it and picked it up. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah ... that's because your bit of paper was not a parking ticket, Happyone. Parking tickets have a mind of their own.

      God bless you always.

      Delete
  10. Maybe you can find a rock to keep in your car to use as a paperweight?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What if the rock blew away in the wind? What then?

      God bless you, Kathy.

      Delete
  11. Why not, indeed? Not a knotty problem: Gordian or otherwise. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the problem with too many rules, Brian.

      God bless you my friend.

      Delete
  12. I enjoyed your story, Victor, and also some of the comments, ha-ha!

    ReplyDelete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.