Friday 24 May 2024

Why should you be happy?

 

 I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full. 

John 10:10

 Look folks, this is going to be a hard talk. Are you happy in life, or just getting by? Be honest now.

There are so many people who are not really satisfied with life. They just get along from day to day as best they can but not really living life to the full and enjoying it everyday. And would you believe it; a lot of these people are Christians. Or so they think.

I believe that by having such a poor attitude to life they are doing Christ a disservice. They are making Him out to be a liar about the quotation above. Read it again at John 10:10. 

Christ came into this world so that we may have a good life, an enjoyable life, lived to the full. Not endured and tolerated until death becomes a relief.

Now don't misunderstand me folks.

I know full well there are many people suffering ill health with constant pain and suffering. I also know there are many in poverty, in bad or wrong marriages and with several other problems in their lives. Many in great difficulties are an example to us by the way they live and inspire us. I am not making light of their conditions or circumstances.

I knew an old man who was very ill and in constant pain. Whenever I asked him how he was he always used to say, "there are so many much worse off than me!" He is now in Heaven and telling me, "See, I told you I'd be OK!"

Many years ago I was discussing the state of the world with another friend of mine. Nothing new in that. It seems the world has always been in a bad state one way or another. He said to me, "You don't have to live in this world!"

What he meant is that we can live happily and be satisfied in our own private world in full knowledge that God is close at hand to protect us and look after us. 

Sure, the world around us may be in bad shape, but generally we have little influence on the world and how to change it personally. But ... but ... we have a lot of influence when we pray to God about what is happening and ask Him to take care of what we are all doing to this world and each other.

There are many people today living life in dissatisfaction with their job, their marriage, their state of being, their family, neighbours and so many other things. People are not happy, and many are angry. I've never seen so much anger in the world.

People are always looking forward to the next best thing in their lives like an illusive dream that is forever just that little bit out of reach ... ... ... a new job, a promotion, a better house, a new car, a great vacation, a happier marriage or whatever else would give them temporary respite from their unhappiness.

Chasing dreams based on self rather than focussing on someone else's well-being and faithfully relying on God to provide for all our tomorrows and have it to the full.

There once was an old man who could not longer live alone and look after himself. His family decided the quickest way, (for them), was to despatch him to a care home for the elderly. They convinced him "it was for the best!"  

He did not put up much of a fight. The day came when he was driven to the care home and left there. The matron in charge helped him with his luggage and showed him to his room. 

"It's a small room," she said on the way there, "not as big as your house, I would imagine!"

"It will be OK," he said as he followed her.

"It's at the back of the care home," she said, "along this long corridor!"

"Oh, that's OK," he said.

"Sorry about the noise from the kitchen," she said as they walked along the corridor.

"That's not a problem," he said.

When they reached the small room she looked out of the tiny window. It overlooked the back yard and car park; and the area where service trucks came to unload various goods. "Sorry about the view," she said, "it's not exactly great scenery, is it?"

"Oh it's lovely," he said.

"You seem to have been positive about everything I have said," she told him, "Even before you saw the room you said it will be all right. I'll admit it is not the kind of place I'd like to stay, or where I would put my parents; but that is all one can expect at the economic charges for this place. Yet you seem to have been happy before you even entered this place!"

"That's because I made up my mind to be happy regardless of the circumstances," he replied, "this place may be sparse, and a little noisy, and without a good view, but I know for certain that there are people living rough in the streets, under bridges and in parks tonight and every night. My life is a luxury compared to them!"

 I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full. 

John 10:10

18 comments:

  1. ...why shouldn't we be?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes we should; but many seem determined to be miserable all their lives.

      God bless, Tom.

      Delete
  2. We may not always feel or be happy, but when we have the joy of Jesus in our lives, we can be content wherever we may be.
    Blessings, Victor!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good one! My cup runneth over with perspective.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed Mevely; with perspective we see life more clearly.

      God bless you and yours.

      Delete
  4. Yes, I'm happy. That's my job so my daughter doesn't have to worry about me. And I have to set a good example so she doesn't have to worry about getting old.
    ---Cheerful Monk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You make very good points Cheerful Monk. God bless you and your family.

      Delete
  5. Yes, I am happy. I believe a thankful person is a happy person.
    I know God is in charge and He has given me the joy inside that only He can. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The man at the end...🥲

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have always been thankful for what God has given me, and where He has led me. I look around the world and realize that I have led a wonderful life, going to places on holidays and to live. There are so many sad things that are happening in the world today, and so many nasty people causing the sadness. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The problem is that not many people are thankful for what they have. They are always looking for something else.

      God bless you, Brenda.

      Delete
  8. He came to give us a joy deeper than mere happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is great to be Happy, I have so many reason, I should remain happy, BUT I take my eyes off the goal... too often...
    Love to you from over here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we do get distracted from God's love and our happiness.

      God bless always, Jack and Sherry.

      Delete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.