Tuesday 15 January 2019

A Delicate Problem


I have a delicate problem to share with you, and to ask your advice about.

We have received a letter from one of the neighbours. It was posted through our letter box this morning so we can't tell from whom it is. It is anonymous. I will only quote the pertinent part of it.

" ... even though we live in separate houses, both detached and a few yards from each other, we can still hear you yawning loudly of an evening just about bedtime. At first we thought it was thunder making its way towards us, then we thought it was blockage in the drains which were about to overflow everywhere, then we thought it was an earth tremor and we were about to meet our Maker or perhaps be downtrodden by the Four Horses of the Apocalypse. Then we realised it was you yawning. Can you do it more quietly? With your head submerged in a bucket of water perhaps!"

Now many people would be a little upset at receiving such a letter. Be honest; how would you feel if someone wrote this to you? Come on, share your feelings.

Not me ... I was not upset at all. Livid more like. Especially since I do not yawn at all.

Admittedly, sometimes in the evenings whilst watching TV downstairs in the lounge, when some politicians are on TV debating something or other, I do get rather irritated and perhaps stifle a sharp intake of breath. But I do so quietly, especially when I am biting hard at the table leg to stop me shouting profanities at them. But yawning loudly ... never ... not me.

Truth be known ... it is my wife who yawns loudly upstairs in the bedroom. Especially when I am being nice to her. Her yawn is so loud it is like a hyena giving birth to an elephant.

But I can hardly tell the neighbours that. Can I?

So ... just between you and me ... please don't share this with anyone else. What do you suggest I do about this dilemma I am faced with?

20 comments:

  1. In retaliation, perhaps you could induce your wife to "yawn" more often.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Methinks those rude neighbors could benefit from a pair of earplugs … or a table leg.
    I can sure identify with wanting to gnaw on something while watching political debates!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are having so many political debates on TV here in the UK right now. I need another table leg. It is all about Brexit.

      God bless you, Mevely.

      Delete
  3. Well ... surely Victor, you knew which neighbor wrote that rude letter; since they would have to be the ones who live on the side of your house that is nearest to your bedroom. Just reply by surreptitiously putting a few sets of earplugs in THEIR mailbox!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see what you mean Suzanne. The thing is ... honestly ... my wife's yawns are heard in the next town!!!

      God bless you.

      Delete
    2. That means having to buy a lot of earplugs.

      God bless you Happyone.

      Delete
  4. There have been many moments, watching American politics, when I've wanted to bite my table leg, too! About the yawning? I like the ear plug idea - lol!
    Blessings, Victor!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right now, in the UK, Parliament is debating Brexit and it is on quite a few TV channels live. I need a new table leg ... or some chocolate.

      God bless you, Martha.

      Delete
  5. You could join your wife and amp up the sound of the yawn so it is earth shattering to those rude neighbors. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a brilliant idea, Bill. That will be heard throughout the neighbourhood.

      God bless you.

      Delete
  6. In my normal passive aggressive way, I would join the serenade and take it up a few decibels. MUCH more apt to be nice with a face to face complaint. NOT a fan of Anonymous!

    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's terrible to send anonymous letters, Lulu. I guess it is a way for people to be nasty in secret.

      God bless you, Lulu.

      Delete
  7. I think you got lots of good advice from all above so I have nothing more original. I agree, however, with Mr. Burke!

    ReplyDelete
  8. If the neighbor has a problem, he/she must address it face to face. We live in an anonymous world these days. Computer stalking, harassment, unsigned letters? all part of this invisible world.

    For those people? All the advice is great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is sad that we live in an anonymous world.

      God bless you, Susan.

      Delete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.