Wednesday 10 April 2019

Abraham in Genesis


Some time later God tested Abraham and said to him, “Abraham!” “Here I am,” he answered. "Take your son," God said, "your only son Isaac, whom you love, and go to the land of Moriah. Offer him there as a burnt offering on one of the mountains I will show you." So Abraham got up early the next morning, saddled his donkey, and took along two of his servants and his son Isaac. He split wood for a burnt offering and set out for the place God had designated. (Genesis 22:1)

I have never understood this Bible story. I am sure you know it. God asked Abraham to offer his son Isaac as a sacrifice. Just as Abraham lifted his hand with a knife ready to kill his son, an Angel stopped him. Abraham had proved he would obey his God.

If this story happened in modern times the police and social services would soon be knocking at Abraham's door. Abraham would be prosecuted and most probably pronounced insane and would spend the rest of his life in a mental home. Poor Isaac would never recover from the traumatic experience and would sleep with one eye open from thereon.

What I cannot understand is why would God go to such dramatic lengths to test Abraham's love and obedience? If God is all-knowing, surely He would know that Abraham loved Him and would obey. Did God not think of the traumatic effect this episode would have on Isaac?

When I go through difficult times, (often), I ask the Lord, "Why are you testing me so if you already know how I would react?"

He never responds; and I often go through the bad times, and, perhaps, I learn something from the experience.

However, the Abraham story, and my experiences, beg some questions to which I would like your opinions.

Does God test us every now and then?

Why? He already knows how we would react.

What possible purpose would our being tested have as part of God's plan?

Now read this bit from St Paul’s letter to the Corinthians a couple of times.

“Every test that you have experienced is the kind that normally comes to people. But God keeps His promise, and He will not allow you to be tested beyond your power to remain firm; at the time you are put to the test, He will give you the strength to endure it, and so provide you with a way out”. 

(1 Corinthians Chapter 10 Verse 13).

Let’s face it – God is not in the business of losing His followers. Those devoted to Him. It does not further His cause one bit if His own followers are so tested by the world’s evils that they loose their Faith in Him. This is contrary to His love for us. He will not allow us to just perish.

So why do you think we are sometimes tested?

Over to you ... ... ...    

22 comments:

  1. For the purpose of our sanctification. Growing into His likeness as we discover Who He is and His provision.
    Blessings, My Friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand ... I think. Do you mean God wishes us to suffer? Think of the trauma Abraham and his son went through. Think of the difficulties/tests we have to endure in life. Does God really wishes it to be so for us? Does He want us to suffer.

      Do you remember the lyrics by Culture Club?

      "Do you really want to hurt me
      Do you really want to make me cry"

      God bless you, Lulu.

      Delete
  2. I would have failed this test.
    I would never sacrifice my loved ones to prove my love and devotion to anyone...including God.
    I find God to be a gentle and loving God. His wrath is for those who are evil.
    He is all knowing and so He knows who His true followers are. God is not barbaric.

    Gods Blessings Victor ✝

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Jan, even though I don't understand.

      God is not barbaric. Why then put Abraham and Isaac to such a traumatic experience?

      I'm sure I would have failed this test too. I would not believe that a loving God would put me through such an experience.

      God bless you.

      Delete
    2. We were not there so even though this "supposedly" happened, we are taking every word on blind faith.
      Blind faith is not good.
      A loving God, in my opinion, would not and could not ask one of His followers to sacrifice their child to prove that they love and are devoted to Him. It goes against all that He stands for.
      I believe in God and this is based on my faith that He exists. My family would not become sacrificial lambs to prove this. He knows that I love and adore Him, so as you said ...why would He ask this of anyone?
      These are my views and I do not ask nor am I asking anyone else to change theirs.
      I believe in a loving and forgiving God~

      God's Blessings Victor~

      Delete
    3. I agree Jan. This is a story from the Bible which I have found difficult to understand. A forgiving God would forgive you and I for failing this test.

      God bless you.

      Delete
  3. Sometimes, I believe that God's 'tests' are meant to reveal to us, the depth of our own faith in Him; to show us, 'where' and 'how' we still need to grow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes ... maybe. But what kind of God is He who continuously prods and tests to check how much we love Him?

      God bless you, Suzanne.

      Delete
  4. I appreciate your own candor, Victor -- admitting you struggle with this story. I, too, would certainly have failed the test. That's not the God I choose to worship and adore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mevely. That is the point I wanted to make. A loving Father God would not put me to such a trial.

      God bless you.

      Delete
  5. It sure is a tough story to swallow. I would fail the test too, I couldn't sacrifice a family member or any human being to show my love for a God who wants me to do such a horrible thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a Bible story that is never explained by priests or other religious people.

      God bless you, Bill.

      Delete
  6. This story has always bothered me, too, Victor, and I really like how you've scrutinized it in a 21st Century light. Yes, we would declare Abraham insane, and Isaac would require years of counseling.
    As to why we are tested, I do believe these are opportunities for our faith to grow. So many times we don't understand why we have to go through hardships and loss until weeks, months and maybe years have passed. We look back at the struggle, only to realize that God brought us out on the other side, stronger in our faith and trust in Him than ever before.
    Blessings, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Martha, I am trying to understand what you said; I truly am. I believe that tests do help our faith to grow; and indeed some time later after hardships we realise that God has brought us through it. But why does He allow such traumatic tests (like Abraham's) or indeed like the hardships and sufferings that some people endure if He, as God, already knows how we would react? It seems a cruel way to make someone's faith grow.

      God bless you, Martha.

      Delete
  7. We may never know until the day God decides to let us know why so many suffer tragedy and disease and pain and hardship. It is one of those puzzles we just have to wait until we have the final piece to make it whole and understandable. Not easy... and maybe that is the test.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm absolutely resonating with you, Victor.

    Right here ...
    http://www.lindastoll.net/2019/02/the-call-to-lay-your-isaac-down-guest.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda for the link. What Mary Geisen does not explain is WHY would a loving God demand of us something so traumatic. As a parent, you love your children. Would you ask one of them to burn/destroy their favourite Teddy Bear?

      God bless you.

      Delete
  9. I think these tests are for our benefit - to learn to depend on Him and His Word, in this fallen world, but I don't like it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand, Chris. But why does He test us when He knows how we would respond? Did God expect Abraham to love Him even more after this experience? And Isaac too? (I'm confused).

      God bless.

      Delete
  10. Do we have to see this firstly as a question of the Father and the Son going together to the point where Jesus became the sacrifice? Isaac was spared but God did not spare His own Son but delivered Him up for us.
    But Hebrews 11 helps too:
    17 "By faith Abraham, [when] tried, offered up Isaac, and he who had received to himself the promises offered up his only begotten [son], 18 as to whom it had been said, In Isaac shall thy seed be called: 19 counting that God [was] able to raise [him] even from among [the] dead, whence also he received him in a figure". After all, Isaac was only born by a miracle - so Abraham knew that God, who had promised so much through Isaac, wouldn't let those promises fail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you David for visiting my Blog. We look forward to your frequent visits soon.

      A priest I know said very much what you have just said. Whilst I understand that; I find it difficult to comprehend why God would wish to test us if He knows full well how we would react.

      God bless you.

      Delete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.