Monday 8 April 2019

Reality Check


What is reality? I asked myself the other day as I sat out in the garden. I had to ask myself, because there was no one else there to ask.

What I mean, and what I also meant when I asked myself that question, and got no answer; (albeit, I might add, the dog barked for no apparent reason). He always does that when I sit quietly talking to myself. I don't know why.

Anyway, what I meant by the question, if you can still remember that far, is that, what is reality to us, might not be so to other people in the past. Something can be real to us, but not to others.

Let me explain.

Take my great great great grand-parents for instance. If you can find them that is.

If you told them that you could be sitting at home, writing on your computer, and someone else many miles away could be receiving your e-mail within seconds and respond to it whilst you're enjoying your cappuccino coffee. They would not understand about the internet, e-mails, texts, tweets, and so on. They would most probably ask, "What's a cappuccino?" Because they didn't have that in their time. It may be reality to us, but not to them.

Take another example. The other day my wife was looking through a ladies' magazine and she came across a lovely brown winter coat. She looked at me and said, "I'd like that!" So I cut the picture out and gave it to her. It was not reality to her ... but the consequences of my action were a reality to me.

So you see, reality is how you perceive it to be.

It's like looking at a mirage which is not there. Which, when you think about it, in reality it is not there. Because that's what a mirage means: a hallucination, a vision, an illusion. If it was there for real then it would not be a mirage, would it?

Is a marriage a mirage? Or is it real? If it is real then why does my predictive text type marriage when I mean mirage? Come to think of it, many couples lead a mirage type of marriage. They pretend to love each other but in reality they only stay married for many other reasons: the children, their religious beliefs, the cost and heart-ache of divorce, or just because they are plain lazy to do anything else.

And here's another example of reality not being real. The other day I met a friend I had not seen for ages. When he was young he was a boy. Then when he grew up he had a beard and he became an accountant.

I'm not sure if the incidents are related or not. So which one of these instances is real? My friend being a young boy? Growing up and having a beard? Or being an accountant? Which leads to the question: can someone be an accountant and not have a beard?

Anyway, when I met him the other day he was clean-shaven and no longer an accountant. He became an undertaker. He was so popular that people are dying to meet him. They always signed letters to him; "Eventually yours ..."

I said to him, "If you had a moustache you'd look exactly like my mother-in-law!"

He replied, "I do not have a moustache!"

I said, "But my mother-in-law has."

The moustache was a reality, but it was on the wrong person.

This friend of mine is very rich now. Obviously either accounting or undertaking has suited him well as a career. He has a house with a cinema in it. The problem is that when there's a bad film on he has to leave his own home.

And that's what reality is. It is what it is perceived to be.

I am sitting here writing this article on the Internet. But how do I know that you out there reading it are real?

Are you a reality? Are you ordinary or extra-ordinary people in your own homes in far flung places reading my daily writings? Or not?
 
What if you are a figment of my imagination? What if I am a figment of your imagination? What if we are all a figment of each others' imagination and none of us really exist?

If so, then who is writing this? And how do you know that it has been written and it is not a figment of yours and my imagination?

René Descartes said, "Cogito ergo sum".

He then translated it into "je pense, donc je suis" which as you know means, "I think, therefore I am!" This does not prove that he is not a figment of his own imagination.

Which leads to the question; Who is René Descartes anyway? Did he have a beard? Was he an accountant or an undertaker?

So - What is reality?

Does this prove that I am? Does it prove that I exist? 

Maybe I just thought, or imagined that I thought, what reality is? 

And maybe I don't really exist; but the thought that I thought it does exist. Perhaps we are all just a passing thought in someone's mind.

Hein? Have you thought about that? 

Share your views in the comments box below. 

That is if you truly exist.

25 comments:

  1. I think I exist, but do I? Am I merely a figment?? Got my wheels turning with this one, Victor!
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are we for real or are we characters in a movie that someone is watching? Prove that you are yourself. A birth certificate, a passport, a school report can all be figments of one's imagination as so are we.

      God bless, Lulu.

      Delete
  2. I have always been told that I have a great imagination or was this just a figment of someone else's imagination that I was imagining along with my best friend who no one can see but me? That's another story.
    I am totally lost now and I need to find my way back to reality...or is this, too, an illusion???
    Now I am truly perplexed!
    Now I have a headache and I need to take an aspirin and lie down for a moment.
    Don't worry Victor, we aren't illusions...we're ghosts.

    Loved your post today...or did I imagine it???

    God's Blessings Always My Friend~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How do you know that the aspirin is for real? You may be imagining that you are taking an aspirin. Just like in a dream. You imagine you are doing something. The dream is all vivid and you see it as if it is real. But in reality it is not. It is only a dream.

      God bless you, Jan.

      Delete
    2. I am off to see the wizard now so that I can click the heels of my ruby red slippers and go home to Kansas.
      Have you seen a yellow brick road anywhere???

      God Bless You Victor (and your sense of humor 🌈)

      Delete
    3. Yes I remember the yellow brick road. There was a collision near us between a car and a lorry carrying paint. No one got hurt but you should have seen the painted yellow road.

      I wish we could click our heels and be somewhere instantly. Where would you go?

      God bless.

      Delete
  3. I should know better than to visit your blog without first having had my morning coffee, Victor :) Maybe I'm still asleep...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah ... sleep ... that's another thing. The other day I dreamt I was asleep at a Senior Management Meeting at work. When I woke up ... I was ... and I was in charge of the meeting.

      God bless you, Chris.

      Delete
  4. Reality... we could discuss this for days, Victor, but I laughed out loud at this..."Eventually yours ..."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess we are all eventually his. Can you imagine? An undertaker without a moustache?

      God bless, Terri.

      Delete
  5. Oh, man, Victor, I have to do a reality check now. Lol! Like Chris said above, I'm so glad I didn't try to read this before coffee.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Personally, I think that coffee is the only real thing in this world. Everything else is imaginary. René Descartes got it wrong. He should have said, "I drink coffee therefore I am". Who is he anyway? I've never heard of him. Has he heard of me? What do you think?

      God bless you, Martha.

      Delete
  6. You seem to have a lot on your mind or am I imagining that. Maybe my mind is confused, I don't know. I need a drink. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Coffee and whisky ... now that's a good drink. Really strong black coffee and a glass of whisky. Now that's real.

      God bless you, Bill.

      Delete
  7. Ha. Ha. My daily aches & pains tell me that I MUST be real. Surely, I wouldn't, or couldn't 'imagine' this level of physical 'discomfort' ... could I? O.K. Need more coffee now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed I understand, Suzanne. I am praying that your pain eases soon.

      God bless you.

      Delete
  8. Goodness Victor … I know I've had a busy day and my mind may not be as active as it was this morning … but you've got me confused!

    I'm sure it will seem better after our evening meal :)

    Wishing you a good week ahead.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly Jan ... have you never wondered whether we are all real? As Shakespeare said, "All the world’s a stage, And all the men and women merely players;" And he didn't even have a Blog. Perhaps we're all characters on some stage somewhere?

      God bless you. Happy week.

      Delete
  9. Oh my word, you've given me lots to ponder. Then again, I can just choose to believe Ignorance is Bliss … and giggle myself all the way to oblivion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess you're right about Ignorance is Bliss, Mevely. Less to think about.

      God bless you.

      Delete
  10. People's memories are different too even when living through the same event or in the same house.
    Their realities are different from one another.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right, Happyone. People tend to remember what they think they saw of an event, and what they have interpreted from the event.

      God bless you.

      Delete
  11. Dearest Victor,
    Well, your present post lead me here... and yes, I AM REAL!
    Love your mirage story and one can see a lot of them out there. Without ever asking, just by observing and noticing...
    Sad facts and people better gather up the courage (with the help of God!) to be real and true to themselves and others.
    Great writing.
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kindness, Mariette. It is sad that so many people do not live in the real world - the reality. They create their own world based on materialism, glamour and chasing celebrities, rather than concentrating on what really matters in this life.

      God bless always.

      Delete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.