Tuesday 9 April 2019

Romance

It is amazing the number of TV programs these days about meeting a partner and match-making. In all of them, it seems, the individuals featured are looking for a quick solution to an age old problem. They all want to find the perfect partner who will love them and cherish them and be by their side for ever more - and they all want to find him or her quickly. Instantly. No waiting.

In almost all cases the individuals searching for their knight in shining armour, or their beautiful princess, seem to focus their desires on physical features mostly. They all want their partners to be handsome or beautiful, smart, wonderful, kind, with a sense of humour, and all the other superlatives one can think of. And there's very little attention paid to shared values, education, aspirations or the like. All they seem to need is an instant physical attraction and hey presto we have romance; now let's jump into bed.

In their search for instancy they forget that their interpretation of romance, if such it is, wanes and often gets tired as time goes by. What is important is true love, affection and respect for one another; caring for one another; companionship and friendship.

But what is romance exactly, or intimacy; which is a more delicate way of putting it.

Romance should be cultivated, like a delicate flower. The mood should be right. The moment should be right. How can one be "romantic" when your wife puts all sorts of creams on her face and has her hair in curlers before going to bed? The sight of a creamed-up face with cucumber slices for eyes is enough to make any man's heart miss a beat - and for all the wrong reasons.

How can you have "romance" when your girl is lying on the bed and as you're about to kiss her, she looks up at you and says: "The ceiling needs painting again!"

The time for "romance" should be right. No point in her fluttering her eyes alluringly and wants to be friendly just as the football is starting on TV? Don't you ladies realise the importance of sport in a man's life?

And don't believe everything you read. It said in a magazine article that "romance" is more exciting when spontaneous and unexpected. Well, that's another supermarket I've been thrown out of !!!

Some men complain that their partners suddenly appear in the bedroom all alluring in a new sexy negligent, (that's a negligee made in Britain), without giving them enough time to focus their  imagination as to whom they're romancing.

Men, on the other hand, are more understanding and more sensitive when it comes to matters of "romance". 

We know full well that you ladies want flowers or chocolates as prize tokens of our esteem. Fortunately these days, many a gas filling station has these items available at the check-out as you pay for your petrol. 

But let's be honest here, ladies. We men just cannot understand why you need all this constant re-assurance and repetition of our affection for you? Isn't it obvious that we love you? We said so when we got married.

I remember years ago I said to my future father-in-law that I wanted to marry his daughter. He said: "Have you seen her mother?"

I replied: "Yes. But I still prefer to marry your daughter!"

We men don't go for this constant repetition and re-assurance of our affection. For us men, it goes without saying, or repeating. We said we loved you once, years ago, and that should suffice. After all, one would not thank a kettle, or a toaster, or a fridge every day for being there, does one?

24 comments:

  1. VICTOR! (That's a shout on the keyboard)
    You had me thinking you were being serious and then
    "negligent"
    I laughed out loud. STILL good point!
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that what they are called, Lulu? So glad I made you laugh.

      God bless.

      Delete
  2. Are men really from Mars? Women from Venus?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know about that, Chris. All I know is that cucumbers belong to a salad, not to be put on one's eyes.

      God bless you.

      Delete
  3. Cucumbers on the eyes, no way, I love cucumbers and anyway my wife is not in to that, thank God for me. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great ... I am so happy we agree. Cucumbers are not to be used on the eyes. Or mayonnaise as face cream.

      Also, no vacuum cleaning when the football is on TV.

      God bless you, Bill.

      Delete
  4. Hilarious as always, Victor! Thanks for the laughs today, my friend.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Victor!!!
    If you told me no vacuuming while some sport is on the TV, you would be wearing those cucumber slices on your eyes to bring down the swelling.

    Great post again today!

    God's Blessings ✝

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well ... hmmm ... Jan, please explain to me ... why the sudden urge to vacuum clean when there's sports on TV? Why not do it when I am at the pub?

      God bless you.

      Delete
    2. Because then it wouldn't be as much fun for me :)

      Blessings ✝

      Delete
    3. I understand ... correction ... I'll never understand women.

      God bless you.

      Delete
  6. I love it when "experts" tell you how to treat a woman. Are they experts on ALL women, because all women are not alike. I think i finally found a good fit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is great when one finds the ideal partner.

      God bless you JoeH.

      Delete
  7. Good points made.

    On painting the ceiling, she should specify the color, like beige or some other neutral colors.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tooo funny! While Tom was waiting to be called in to see the doctor, I was reading excerpts of this aloud to him -- and noticed a couple other patients eavesdropping, doing their best not to laugh out loud!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should have told them to come and read my Blog, Mevely. I need all the readers I can get.

      I am so glad that you and Tom enjoyed my offering today.

      God bless you both. Praying for Tom's health.

      Delete
  9. Victor, Victor!! Thanks for the giggles again!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am proud to say I have never watched an episode of any of those romance matchmaking shows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear ... you are missing out on some really bad TV.

      God bless, Kathy.

      Delete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.