Tuesday 14 January 2020

Another Phone Call

I got another weird phone call yesterday ...

"Hello ... could I speak to Sandra please?"

"Sorry, there is no one called Sandra here!"

"Are you sure?"

"Yes, I'm sure. I have lived here for some years and there is no Sandra living with me."

"Only ... she gave me this phone number."

"I can assure you there is no Sandra here. I shall move my phone from room to room so you can see I have no Sandra here. Not even in the bedroom!"

"What do you mean the bedroom? Is this not the fishmonger's in Aquatic Avenue?"

"No it is not. But it often smells like it on account that our old dog suffers from flatulence. Last week he embarrassed me when the priest was visiting and his look at me was most accusing I tell you. It was the dog ... not me ..."

"So this is not the shop called A Fish Called Sandra?"

"No it is not ... It is a private house called We Smell Like A Fish Called Sandra!"

"I think she has dumped me. Broke up with me. I got this text saying 'It's over!' That's all it said."

"That's a song by Roy Orbison. Maybe she was wanting to listen to the song on one of those song listening channels and she miss-dialled and sent the message to you instead!"

"Do you think so?"

"Yes sure ... I remember when I was young my girl-friend bought me a record called 'I can get no satisfaction!' by the Rolling Stones."

"What happened then?"

"She left me ..."

The guy at the other end put the phone down. I wonder what happened to him. Was it something I said? Is it because I mentioned my old dog? Maybe he doesn't like dogs. Maybe he is a cat person. What do you think?

22 comments:

  1. I'm thinking he was overcome with emotion and the realization she was saying, "Please release me let me go." Or maybe he was wanting to sing "Why why why Delilah but didn't want to embarrass himself." Or maybe he wanted to echo Tommy James and sing "Baby, baby i can't take it no more." Or just maybe he realized you were not lying and he was dumped.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It may be just the latter and he realised she dumped him. He was too whiny and crying to sing any songs. Now you mention it ... I do not recall any songs about fish, or fishmongers ever. Maybe he thought he'd write such a song and win Sandra back?

      Keeps smiling my friend. God bless you, Bill.

      Delete
  2. Sing it, Bill! Methinks that caller's too young to appreciate GOOD music.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed, Mevely. They don't write them like they used to any more. Today's music sounds like a constipated coyote giving birth to an elephant.

      God bless you.

      Delete
  3. I think Sandra walked in while you were chatting away on the other end of the line and he needed "Just a Little Lovin'"!!!

    God's Blessings 💮

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That probably explains the sudden silence on the line. A little lovin !!!

      God bless you, Jan.

      Delete
  4. Yes Bill,... Sing it! :)
    The guy was definitely a cat person... that was it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phew ... I am relieved. I thought it was something I said that made him go away so suddenly.

      God bless, Ryan.

      Delete
  5. I remember when the wrong number caller used to get angry that you were not the person they wanted.

    I got a wrong number call the other day, first on in years. I think people do not just give there number anymore, they call the person and say "There is my number" impossible to dial it wrong. Also with so many scammers I seldom pick up a number I do not know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You got me thinking, JoeH. Could it be he was a scammer? His number did not show up on my phone screen. Was he a tele-salesman perhaps trying to sell me fish? Or music? Or ... ?

      You got me confused, JoeH. God bless.

      Delete
  6. Definitely a scammer. Once they get you in a conversation, they got you hooked. Got to be careful when talking to strangers, remember what you parents told you, never talk to strangers. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is annoying isn't it how these scammers waste one's time. Sadly, the telephone answering machine was not on at the time.

      God bless you Bill.

      Delete
  7. You seem to have the best phone calls. How come none of mine ever turn out like this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are quite annoying I tell you, Mimi.

      God bless.

      Delete
  8. Nothing like a crank call to add some spice to one's day, Victor. Maybe the song should have been "It's Too Late, Baby" by Carole King? Just a thought!
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well Martha, that song brought back memories. I used to play it when I was a radio presenter. I wish I'd kept more tapes of my shows. Perhaps sometime I'll post a few minutes of whatever tapes I have here.

      Thanx for the memories my friend. God bless.

      Delete
  9. Even your wrong phone numbers are funny. : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Generally, I find life is funny, Happyone. Thank God.

      God bless you.

      Delete
  10. Many years ago a good friend of mine used to be plagued by phone calls trying to order a Chinese meal. Her phone number was only one digit difference from the local Chinese take-away … oh dear.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It can be a real nuisance when our phone number is so similar to some business or other. I normally leave the answering machine on to take all calls before I answer the ones I know.

      God bless, Jan.

      Delete
  11. No satisfaction! Well, girls are hard to please. ;)

    ReplyDelete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.