Thursday 27 May 2021

Decisions, Decisions.

 I sat in my garden admiring that robin flying from one bush to another and then to the ground and then he flies away only to return a minute later. My thoughts wondered from one thought to another and led me to ask more questions leading to even more confusion.

Then the robin spoke to me and said that every decision I make has an effect on another person. I thought about that a bit. He is right, you know.

Let me give you an example. I had a brand new pair of pants. Never wore them. Bought them some time ago. They now do not fit me.

I took them to a tailor and asked him to let them out a bit. He said it will cost £x.

I asked him if it would be cheaper just to buy another larger pair of pants that would fit me.

He said, "No ... you should have me let out these pants for you to fit you. Because that is employment for me. The more you eat, the bigger you are, the more pants I have to let out for you. Which is good. Enjoy!!!"

We all inter-depend on one another in this world. Whatever choices I make in life will somehow affect you or some other person somewhere on the planet. Whether I buy this or that type of food, clothing or whatever will affect the economy or well-being of other people living elsewhere.

Let us say I want to buy a traditional petrol (gas) driven car or an all-electric car. Which one is best for me and for all those affected by my decision?

For the sake of fair comparison let us assume that both cars are identical - same shape, volume, capacity etc ... The materials required to make them, like steel, glass, plastic, rubber and so on is the same.

The robin told me to compare just the mode of motion or mobility. What makes the car move.

What I am comparing here is which engine is overall better in its environmental friendliness, and the cost of such friendliness.

The petrol driven car requires you to dig for oil from underground, transport it somewhere where it is made into petrol, transport that petrol and distribute it everywhere to petrol stations where I can go and fill my tank.

The electric engine requires you to make a battery where the electricity is stored. Then the electricity has to be made at the electric power station and distributed to me to charge my battery. 

Is the cost of making and distributing this electricity ... more or less than that of petrol? 

For example, if the electricity is made from burning coal, or from nuclear then we have to consider the pollution effects of that coal or the disposal of the nuclear bits we no longer want after we have made the electricity. This pollution/disposal costs money which should be added to the cost of production. I'm sure you understand what I mean. The robin certainly does!

Then we have to compare the actual distance travelled. If I want to drive X miles - how much petrol do I need in my car to drive that distance at a certain speed and efficiency? How does this compare with travelling the same distance and speed in an electric car?

What are the comparisons in costs, efficiencies, environmentally friendliness etc ... etc ... of the two  types of fuels.

Finally, my robin asks - is it better to have a red or a blue car? I prefer white. The robin prefers a green car.

And ... how can I attract more robins to my garden? More worms in the ground?

22 comments:

  1. ...life is all about decisions!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now you have me scared..... you are listening to a bird-brain???
    BUT, but yep decisions, especially the one on cars does tax my 'bird-brain!'
    Good visit to your garden.
    Sherry & jack playing across the pond

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am trying to work out which is the most efficient, economical, environmentally friendly, best for the planet etc ... etc ... etc ... Both methods involve costs of production, distribution, pollution, waste disposal, and so on and on.

      Which is best?

      God bless, Jack & Sherry.

      Delete
  3. Great point, Victor. Personally, I like to support the small business man/woman, even if it costs a few pennies more.

    Now that the cost to fill my car is approaching absurd levels, I notice more commercials for electric cars. Seriously, don't people realize the origins of such and costs to maintain? Ugh. Get a horse!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I DID try getting a horse. I just can't teach him to drive a car. He keeps saying "Neigh ... Neigh ..."

      God bless, Mevely.

      Delete
  4. Choices every day sometimes too many. Keep it simple is best for me. No car, means no battery or petro. I walk so I can think about what choices I need to make. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you walk in shoes, boots, sandals, trainers ...

      God bless, Bill.

      Delete
  5. Dearest Victor,
    Guess the Robin and all critters in nature are right since they don't have to deal with a whole lot of political influences!
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  6. Considering all the power it takes to generate electricity, I really think the gas powered cars are actually more energy efficient. But the "Green" people don't think that far ahead, do they? By the way, I've never had a robin talk to me, but a squirrel has. :)
    Blessings, Victor!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I was thinking, Martha. I am told (here in the UK) if you have an electric car you need a special power point fitted in your home. You can't just plug it in as if it were a kettle or toaster. Surely all these power points cost money to make and install all over the country. I also understand (not sure if I am right) that each make of car has its own power point. So if you change car from one make to another you need a new power point installed. (As I said, not sure about that).

      Please ask your squirrel for advice when you next see him.

      God bless.

      Delete
  7. Every choice has an effect on others, and every choices opens up new choices. It's why we need to pray before we make decisions.

    ReplyDelete
  8. People like electric because the pollution it causes is not so evident. If everyone would just stop driving for one year, it would decrease pollution almost by the amount given off by a single days volcano eruption. I think we should just outlaw volcanos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the point, JoeH. How much pollution does each mode of transport cause? Even the cart and horse caused pollution; albeit it was used as manure.

      God bless.

      Delete
  9. Maybe we all should just walk a bit more!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True ... but consider the wear and tear of the shoes. We'd have to buy new shoes every month! I walk a lot on my treadmill but don't seem to be getting anywhere.

      God bless, Happyone.

      Delete
  10. I am not totally sure how I feel about this whole gasoline operated or electricity operated. Can we effectively generate that much electricity to keep mega millions of cars traveling? Can we continue to pollute the air we breathe with emissions from gasoline operated autos? Am I the only one in a quandary about this? Ask your Robin to give us his/her best answer! Many blessings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point Nells. I'm not sure which is the better mode of transport. I asked the robin and he said "If God meant us to fly we would have invented air planes!"

      God bless.

      Delete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.